• I've always been a fan of Elton John, Bob Dylan and Fleetwood Mac, James Blunt and Van Morrison.

More recently I'm 'into' Mumford & Sons and George Ezra and David Grey.

Being a somewhat late adopter I've only just started streaming music using Amazon Prime. Seems to me there's some very good, talented ballad singers coming to the fore recently. I like being able to here the lyrics.
  • I've always been a fan of Elton John, Bob Dylan and Fleetwood Mac, James Blunt and Van Morrison.

More recently I'm 'into' Mumford & Sons and George Ezra and David Grey.

Being a somewhat late adopter I've only just started streaming music using Amazon Prime. Seems to me there's some very good, talented ballad singers coming to the fore recently. I like being able to here the lyrics.
  • Oh Maddona wot a diva. Can see the video for 'Like a Virgin' as I am typing, eye catching to say the least, as the ideas belonged to a 15 ywar at that point in the 80s. I regularly bop along to her ' Immaculate Collection' in the car on my commute. Also big Kylie fan. Wham 'Club Tropicana' and 'Edge of Heaven' yes please. George M in his solo years no better GB male vocalist. More recent big TT fan. That's enuf for now.

- - - Updated - - -

And bopping to Vogue on my commute too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly.
  • Oh Maddona wot a diva. Can see the video for 'Like a Virgin' as I am typing, eye catching to say the least, as the ideas belonged to a 15 ywar at that point in the 80s. I regularly bop along to her ' Immaculate Collection' in the car on my commute. Also big Kylie fan. Wham 'Club Tropicana' and 'Edge of Heaven' yes please. George M in his solo years no better GB male vocalist. More recent big TT fan. That's enuf for now.

- - - Updated - - -

And bopping to Vogue on my commute too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Daspy View Post
    bopping to Vogue on my commute too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Quote Originally Posted by Daspy View Post
    bopping to Vogue on my commute too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly.
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Forgot to mention the Jam too back in early teen years. Weller genius, ' Just who is the 5 o clock hero?' and 'Smithers-Jones' both classic socially aware lyrics. The system always gets the better of us. Bugger.
  • Forgot to mention the Jam too back in early teen years. Weller genius, ' Just who is the 5 o clock hero?' and 'Smithers-Jones' both classic socially aware lyrics. The system always gets the better of us. Bugger.
  • Do I dare say that I was never a huge fan of Madonna?? though can completely see the huge impact she had!

My music icon is Paul Simon.. great music (imo) and great lyricist. Was lucky enough to see him live a few times too!

​What was the best concert or gig you've ever been to/best live act? (taking inspo from your great first gig stories @Bev and @Jon1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Now july 4th 1985 not only sticks in my memory as my first wembley concert paid with by my first pay cheque at my first real job. Yes it was a springsteen concert which as a almost 17yr old mother insisted i had to go with my eldest brother and a couple of his mates.just to be safe

Is there someone you'd absolutely love to see live if you could?
  • Do I dare say that I was never a huge fan of Madonna?? though can completely see the huge impact she had!

My music icon is Paul Simon.. great music (imo) and great lyricist. Was lucky enough to see him live a few times too!

​What was the best concert or gig you've ever been to/best live act? (taking inspo from your great first gig stories @Bev and @Jon1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Now july 4th 1985 not only sticks in my memory as my first wembley concert paid with by my first pay cheque at my first real job. Yes it was a springsteen concert which as a almost 17yr old mother insisted i had to go with my eldest brother and a couple of his mates.just to be safe

• Ah so any musician....or influence...

James Brown the god father of soul and the minister of super new heavy funk - in his own words!
    - But its his band the JB's - tracks like this is not the BT Express but the JB's Monorail

George Clinton and the who funkadelic thing which stretches over some many era's and boundaries
    Both the above have had so much influence on the whole dance scene from House to Hip Hop

As a young idiot I sold a collection of progressive rock stuff and entered the London Soul Scene and today a track from Grover Washington called Mr Magic sounds as fresh today as it did then

Dexter Wansell - Life on Mars!!

House kicked all the above into touch just like punk did...but all good music revolves and returns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXhsg6HcH4
    Last edited by Strutt G; 03-04-19 at 15:10.
  • Ah so any musician....or influence...

James Brown the god father of soul and the minister of super new heavy funk - in his own words!
    - But its his band the JB's - tracks like this is not the BT Express but the JB's Monorail

George Clinton and the who funkadelic thing which stretches over some many era's and boundaries
    Both the above have had so much influence on the whole dance scene from House to Hip Hop

As a young idiot I sold a collection of progressive rock stuff and entered the London Soul Scene and today a track from Grover Washington called Mr Magic sounds as fresh today as it did then

Dexter Wansell - Life on Mars!!

House kicked all the above into touch just like punk did...but all good music revolves and returns
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Do I dare say that I was never a huge fan of Madonna?? though can completely see the huge impact she had!

No you should never say those words Nataly! 🙀👎😂😂😂, you can go off people you know! 😂😂😂. I liked you when you joined 🙃🤣🙃🤣, hee jk. She’s certainly not everyone’s ☕️but she’s BY FAR the best artist you’ll see live. What a legend.

Hey fab fab fab question Nat, and a no brainer for me. Absolutely, without any doubt at all, Elvis Presley. Wowsa, to have seen him live and been around to have had that opportunity, would have been something special. What an absolute waste.
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Nataly View Post
    Do I dare say that I was never a huge fan of Madonna?? though can completely see the huge impact she had!

No you should never say those words Nataly! 🙀👎😂😂😂, you can go off people you know! 😂😂😂. I liked you when you joined 🙃🤣🙃🤣, hee jk. She’s certainly not everyone’s ☕️but she’s BY FAR the best artist you’ll see live. What a legend.

Hey fab fab fab question Nat, and a no brainer for me. Absolutely, without any doubt at all, Elvis Presley. Wowsa, to have seen him live and been around to have had that opportunity, would have been something special. What an absolute waste.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post

Just gave this a listen - love it! Espesh when the bass kicks in at about 1:20 as you said, all good music returns and can definitely hear that in this track.

Ah yes James Brown, what a legend! My brother saw him live once as the support of a Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert - even though he was the support act, the build-up of "it's jaaaaaames brown!" went on for about 20 mins before he appeared on stage
    Did you ever get to go to one of his concerts?

Oh no @Bev - I knew I shouldn't have admitted that! It was nice while it lasted eh.
    Can see Madonna being an amazing live act and as having great stage presence.

Really interesting choice of musician you'd love to see, Presley would've been great. I wonder if when people first saw him they knew they were watching a future icon of rock n roll?? V. different seeing someone before they're famous vs when they're a worldwide sensation! Can't decide which would be better?

With all these music recommendations maybe it's time for a PP Community playlist??
  • Quote Originally Posted by Strutt G View Post

Just gave this a listen - love it! Espesh when the bass kicks in at about 1:20 as you said, all good music returns and can definitely hear that in this track.

Ah yes James Brown, what a legend! My brother saw him live once as the support of a Red Hot Chilli Peppers concert - even though he was the support act, the build-up of "it's jaaaaaames brown!" went on for about 20 mins before he appeared on stage
    Did you ever get to go to one of his concerts?

Oh no @Bev - I knew I shouldn't have admitted that! It was nice while it lasted eh.
    Can see Madonna being an amazing live act and as having great stage presence.

Really interesting choice of musician you'd love to see, Presley would've been great. I wonder if when people first saw him they knew they were watching a future icon of rock n roll?? V. different seeing someone before they're famous vs when they're a worldwide sensation! Can't decide which would be better?

With all these music recommendations maybe it's time for a PP Community playlist??
  • Trying to think if I’ve seen anyone live 🤔before really famous, and sooooo know I have but it’s remembering who! No, cant think. I’d say tho, it’s probably better to see them before, in the respect that you can get up close 🤗and personal, before they get above their station 🙄or before you feel in awe of them and become a giddy kipper in front of them 😱🤭😂and go all of a tiswas, BUT to see an artist when they’re beyond famous, the build up, the excitement, anticipation, and then sheer joy when they appear, has got to be one of the most exhilarating things🙃👍👏. So both are winners really. I know I’ll always treasure my memories 💭💭💭of the gigs I’ve been to. And back then, without sounding old, live meant live! Not the same today.

Oooooooh yes, ya can’t beat a playlist 👍😂

As to whether anyone realised Presley was going to be who he became, I very much doubt it. I doubt HE even realised, hence his sad end.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Trying to think if I’ve seen anyone live 🤔before really famous, and sooooo know I have but it’s remembering who! No, cant think. I’d say tho, it’s probably better to see them before, in the respect that you can get up close 🤗and personal, before they get above their station 🙄or before you feel in awe of them and become a giddy kipper in front of them 😱🤭😂and go all of a tiswas, BUT to see an artist when they’re beyond famous, the build up, the excitement, anticipation, and then sheer joy when they appear, has got to be one of the most exhilarating things🙃👍👏. So both are winners really. I know I’ll always treasure my memories 💭💭💭of the gigs I’ve been to. And back then, without sounding old, live meant live! Not the same today.

Oooooooh yes, ya can’t beat a playlist 👍😂

As to whether anyone realised Presley was going to be who he became, I very much doubt it. I doubt HE even realised, hence his sad end.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Ah James Brown unfortunately not because back in the day his band the JB's were played more in the underground clubs...James Brown is on these albums, no doubt his concepts..but not as prominent.
    For me James Brown best Album is Mind Power a double album with 8 tracks of JB Funk.
    Later in life his style was toned down and not for me due to a more commercial production.
    However he performed one of his classic tracks its a Mans World with Luciano Pavarotti which is brilliant.
    Many members of his band are legends in their own right..Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker and Fred Wesley who also appear on George Clintons Parliament albums who I have seen a few times.
    I like nearly all kinds of music...and Madonna she is the queen of pop no competition.
    Last edited by Strutt G; 04-04-19 at 16:41.
  • Ah James Brown unfortunately not because back in the day his band the JB's were played more in the underground clubs...James Brown is on these albums, no doubt his concepts..but not as prominent.
    For me James Brown best Album is Mind Power a double album with 8 tracks of JB Funk.
    Later in life his style was toned down and not for me due to a more commercial production.
    However he performed one of his classic tracks its a Mans World with Luciano Pavarotti which is brilliant.
    Many members of his band are legends in their own right..Bootsy Collins, Maceo Parker and Fred Wesley who also appear on George Clintons Parliament albums who I have seen a few times.
    I like nearly all kinds of music...and Madonna she is the queen of pop no competition.
  • I've got to say thanks @Strutt G - going on a little holiday soon and you inspired me to put some James Brown on the playlist, which reminded me to add some Sly and the Family Stone!

Madonna she is the queen of pop no competition.
    Seems to be the agreement of everyone

What about the king/queen of rock?
  • I've got to say thanks @Strutt G - going on a little holiday soon and you inspired me to put some James Brown on the playlist, which reminded me to add some Sly and the Family Stone!

Madonna she is the queen of pop no competition.
    Seems to be the agreement of everyone

What about the king/queen of rock?
  • Feel the need to add, as I am sure all my fellow eurovision fans will agree, Madonna performed like 60+year old in Tel Aviv. Felt embarrassed for her. Should have worn 2 eye patches!
  • Feel the need to add, as I am sure all my fellow eurovision fans will agree, Madonna performed like 60+year old in Tel Aviv. Felt embarrassed for her. Should have worn 2 eye patches!
  • I remember going to see my music hero Joe Brown at the Albert Hall.

How long ago was that, you ask?

Well the Rolling Stones were also playing, but they weren't topping the bill, they had to share that honour with The Searchers...
  • I remember going to see my music hero Joe Brown at the Albert Hall.

How long ago was that, you ask?

Well the Rolling Stones were also playing, but they weren't topping the bill, they had to share that honour with The Searchers...
  • Enjoyed the Madonna interview on Graham Norton 👍👏, came across well, but that eye patch needs to go 🙄👎👎👎👎👎👎

WALT WHITMAN
  • Enjoyed the Madonna interview on Graham Norton 👍👏, came across well, but that eye patch needs to go 🙄👎👎👎👎👎👎

WALT WHITMAN