• Quick summary on my Renault Zoe

Quick summary based on my Renault Zoe.
    Yes apps can show you where chargers are, and importantly what kind they are (i.e. power level and compatibility). However the satnav will also do this, as will a separate Zoe app on the in-car screen.

The comfort is amazing, much better than my old car (and as good as a Golf acc to my husband, who won't drive anything but a Golf).

My home charger is 7kWh and takes about 3hrs to full charge, which gives about 185 on the battery but given the regen charging and breaking in reality will do 200+ miles.
    On motorway chargers it takes about 30-40 mins for an 80% charge.

With subsidies and my usual average mileage it worked out less expensive to buy my battery outright.
    However the cost leasing a battery usually needs adding onto the car prices advertised.

In all the reviews, the Renault Zoe was only topped by the Tesla, and was top of all the smaller electric cars in performance, size / space, comfort and features. It's also in the same price range as more traditional small cars, so genuine competition for them and a relatively easy switch to make.

Like Nissan, it comes with its own roadside recovery system.

The only negatives are
    1. The battery is underneath so everything inside the car is raised up. Fine for me but if you're over 6ft you'd need to be careful!
    2. V minor but strangely high impact - the cupholders are really badly designed and situated. They're pretty much unusable.

The switch to automatic has been fun once I got used to it. I much prefer it now, though living in a very hilly place, I miss clutch control. The Zoe has hill assist though and will hold still for a few seconds when you shift from brake to accelorator, which is extremely useful.

There was barely any difference in my insurance costs.

Happy to answer more questions about it.
    Last edited by Sallyent; 01-08-18 at 22:33.
  • Quick summary based on my Renault Zoe.
    Yes apps can show you where chargers are, and importantly what kind they are (i.e. power level and compatibility). However the satnav will also do this, as will a separate Zoe app on the in-car screen.

The comfort is amazing, much better than my old car (and as good as a Golf acc to my husband, who won't drive anything but a Golf).

My home charger is 7kWh and takes about 3hrs to full charge, which gives about 185 on the battery but given the regen charging and breaking in reality will do 200+ miles.

With subsidies and my usual average mileage it worked out less expensive to buy my battery outright.
    However the cost leasing a battery usually needs adding onto the car prices advertised.

In all the reviews, the Renault Zoe was only topped by the Tesla, and was top of all the smaller electric cars in performance, size / space, comfort and features. It's also in the same price range as more traditional small cars, so genuine competition for them and a relatively easy switch to make.

The only negatives are
    1. The battery is underneath so everything inside the car is raised up. Fine for me but if you're over 6ft you'd need to be careful!
    2. V minor but strangely high impact - the cupholders are really badly designed and situated. They're pretty much unusable.

The switch to automatic has been fun once I got used to it. I much prefer it now, though living in a very hilly place, I miss clutch control. The Zoe has hill assist though and will hold still for a few seconds when you shift from brake to accelorator, which is extremely useful.

• This is fantastic @Sallyent
    Thank you for posting, it's really thorough
    It's probably worth it's own thread to be honest. I could move it to a new thread all about the Renault Zoe, if you don't mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Sallyent View Post

The only negatives are

Community Manager - Pure Planet

• This is fantastic @Sallyent
    Thank you for posting, it's really thorough
    It's probably worth it's own thread to be honest. I could move it to a new thread all about the Renault Zoe, if you don't mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Sallyent View Post

The only negatives are

• A Zoe question for Sallyent
    hi Sally, very thorough and interesting comments.

Have you driven your Zoe when it was freezing or very cold weather? If so how did it affect range and comfort (heating, demist etc.).

Name:  carclouds-copt.gif
Views: 398
Size:  121.0 KB
    Last edited by woz; 02-08-18 at 23:46. Reason: experimental
  • A Zoe question for Sallyent
    hi Sally, very thorough and interesting comments.

Have you driven your Zoe when it was freezing or very cold weather? If so how did it affect range and comfort (heating, demist etc.).

Name:  carclouds-copt.gif
Views: 398
Size:  121.0 KB
  • Good question @woz
    And I see you've discovered how to post GIFs in the community

• Good question @woz

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Good question @woz
    haha, well at least it's not a dog getting into the 'fridge
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Good question @woz
    haha, well at least it's not a dog getting into the 'fridge
  • @Marc Yep go for it. It'd be interesting to see if you can borrow one and do a comparison after your Leaf trial.

- - - Updated - - -
    @woz Not yet, only had it about 8-10 weeks so it's been all scorchio so far. Apparently the range will drop in winter. From the reviews I've read the heating / demister isn't mega boiling but is sufficient. And it has the added advantage that you can programme the inside climate remotely and / or on a timer. So it can be all nicely warmed up and demisted etc ready and waiting for me before I even have to leave the house. Living in the freezing cold and murky pennines I am very much looking forward to making use of that feature!

There is also an aircon button on the card key, so on boiling hot days I've been able to have it cooled and ready, as I've walked across the car park, which has been much admired by anyone else who's benefitted.
  • @Marc Yep go for it. It'd be interesting to see if you can borrow one and do a comparison after your Leaf trial.

- - - Updated - - -
    @woz Not yet, only had it about 8-10 weeks so it's been all scorchio so far. Apparently the range will drop in winter. From the reviews I've read the heating / demister isn't mega boiling but is sufficient. And it has the added advantage that you can programme the inside climate remotely and / or on a timer. So it can be all nicely warmed up and demisted etc ready and waiting for me before I even have to leave the house. Living in the freezing cold and murky pennines I am very much looking forward to making use of that feature!

There is also an aircon button on the card key, so on boiling hot days I've been able to have it cooled and ready, as I've walked across the car park, which has been much admired by anyone else who's benefitted.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Sallyent View Post
    I love that feature @Sallyent
    Not a big deal, just a small but v handy way of staying cool (well, cooler than mega-hot) on a day like today

• Quote Originally Posted by Sallyent View Post
    I love that feature @Sallyent
    Not a big deal, just a small but v handy way of staying cool (well, cooler than mega-hot) on a day like today

• I’m seeing sooooooo many Zoe’s on the road now 👍, but still not seen a single Leaf 😳🤨👎
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • I’m seeing sooooooo many Zoe’s on the road now 👍, but still not seen a single Leaf 😳🤨👎

WALT WHITMAN
  • Really @Bev ? Not a single Leaf?
    That's weird I see them a lot
    Also seeing far more Teslas (is that because I work in Bath though? )

• Really @Bev ? Not a single Leaf?
    That's weird I see them a lot
    Also seeing far more Teslas (is that because I work in Bath though? )

• On life Marc, not a single leaf 🍁😳. However, gonna be extra eagle eyed now 👀! Determined to see one!

WALT WHITMAN
  • On life Marc, not a single leaf 🍁😳. However, gonna be extra eagle eyed now 👀! Determined to see one!

WALT WHITMAN
  • Yippeeeeeeeeee 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉! Saw my first Nissan Leaf 🍁today 🤪😂👍. Was waiting to cross dual carriageway and white one came by 👍. Quite bit bigger than thought actually, in the flesh, but very nice indeed 👏👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • Yippeeeeeeeeee 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉! Saw my first Nissan Leaf 🍁today 🤪😂👍. Was waiting to cross dual carriageway and white one came by 👍. Quite bit bigger than thought actually, in the flesh, but very nice indeed 👏👍

WALT WHITMAN
  • I own a Nissan Leaf. Amaaszing car, good acceleration and very comfortable. It’s so quiet too and is a joy to drive. I Wouldnt go back to petrol or diesel vehicle and am so happy that the impact on the environment in respect of fuel is zero using renewable energy. This is definitely the way to go and the transition to electric will be like moving from the model t ford to today’s modern cars.
  • I own a Nissan Leaf. Amaaszing car, good acceleration and very comfortable. It’s so quiet too and is a joy to drive. I Wouldnt go back to petrol or diesel vehicle and am so happy that the impact on the environment in respect of fuel is zero using renewable energy. This is definitely the way to go and the transition to electric will be like moving from the model t ford to today’s modern cars.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jenta View Post
    I own a Nissan Leaf. Amaaszing car, good acceleration and very comfortable. It’s so quiet too and is a joy to drive. I Wouldnt go back to petrol or diesel vehicle and am so happy that the impact on the environment in respect of fuel is zero using renewable energy. This is definitely the way to go and the transition to electric will be like moving from the model t ford to today’s modern cars.
    Ha now that is music to my ears!
    Thanks for that @Jenta
    I've got a Leaf on order. I'm leasing it through work and the ETA is late November.
    How long did it take for the homecharge grant to come through? I need to start thinking about the home chargepoint

• Quote Originally Posted by Jenta View Post
    I own a Nissan Leaf. Amaaszing car, good acceleration and very comfortable. It’s so quiet too and is a joy to drive. I Wouldnt go back to petrol or diesel vehicle and am so happy that the impact on the environment in respect of fuel is zero using renewable energy. This is definitely the way to go and the transition to electric will be like moving from the model t ford to today’s modern cars.
    Ha now that is music to my ears!
    Thanks for that @Jenta
    I've got a Leaf on order. I'm leasing it through work and the ETA is late November.
    How long did it take for the homecharge grant to come through? I need to start thinking about the home chargepoint

• Good Morning All,

This is my first post here having just moved supplier.

I own a Zoe and have had it 6 months.

This morning was the first where I got in it with a frozen screen. Gave the screen a quick scrape but the demist worked pretty quickly, certainly very much quicker than an ICE would. It was as good as the heated front screen on the Discovery.

The reduced range in winter won’t be an issue as the longest round trip would be 70 miles.

Regards

Richard
  • Good Morning All,

This morning was the first where I got in it with a frozen screen. Gave the screen a quick scrape but the demist worked pretty quickly, certainly very much quicker than an ICE would. It was as good as the heated front screen on the Discovery.

The reduced range in winter won’t be an issue as the longest round trip would be 70 miles.

Regards

Richard
  • hi Richard
    was it plugged in when you demisted it?
    I'd be interested to hear, if you get the chance, whether the demist/de-ice time is radically different depending on whether it's plugged in or not when you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by linesrg View Post
    Good Morning All,

Regards

Richard
  • hi Richard
    was it plugged in when you demisted it?
    I'd be interested to hear, if you get the chance, whether the demist/de-ice time is radically different depending on whether it's plugged in or not when you do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by linesrg View Post
    Good Morning All,

Regards

Richard
  • Woz,

No it wasn't plugged in. I work at sea/ offshore on a self-employed basis so don't have a regular time of leaving home in the morning. I also try and do most of my charging away from home currently simply because we don't pay for using the majority of charge points up here in Scotland (well not directly but as ratepayers/ tax payers we do).

As the colder weather will be occurring more frequently now it may well be that I need to set off somewhere early in the morning combined with a home charge where I will try the plugged in pre-heat option.

As I say I was impressed with how quickly it dealt with things from a cold start.

Regards

Richard
  • Woz,

No it wasn't plugged in. I work at sea/ offshore on a self-employed basis so don't have a regular time of leaving home in the morning. I also try and do most of my charging away from home currently simply because we don't pay for using the majority of charge points up here in Scotland (well not directly but as ratepayers/ tax payers we do).

As the colder weather will be occurring more frequently now it may well be that I need to set off somewhere early in the morning combined with a home charge where I will try the plugged in pre-heat option.

As I say I was impressed with how quickly it dealt with things from a cold start.

Regards

Richard
  • Quote Originally Posted by linesrg View Post
    Good Morning All,

Regards

Richard
    Welcome @linesrg
    I've got a Leaf coming soon
    Was supposed to be this month but has been delayed to January due to production delays
    Seems that these EVs are getting quite popular!
    Do you miss your ICE at all?

Good Morning All,

Regards

Richard
    Welcome @linesrg
    I've got a Leaf coming soon
    Was supposed to be this month but has been delayed to January due to production delays
    Seems that these EVs are getting quite popular!
    Do you miss your ICE at all?

• Marc,

The Zoe isn't our only car. Our aged Golf was replaced with a Skoda Fabia earlier this year as the Golf became uneconomic to keep. We do kayaking in the family and the Zoe doesn't have the range or capacity to accommodate these activities.

We also have a Td5 2004 plate Discovery for towing duties.

Thus we haven't given up the ICE yet just making a start. I far prefer driving the EV or the Disco, if only because both are 'automatics'.

Regards

Richard
  • Marc,

The Zoe isn't our only car. Our aged Golf was replaced with a Skoda Fabia earlier this year as the Golf became uneconomic to keep. We do kayaking in the family and the Zoe doesn't have the range or capacity to accommodate these activities.

We also have a Td5 2004 plate Discovery for towing duties.

Thus we haven't given up the ICE yet just making a start. I far prefer driving the EV or the Disco, if only because both are 'automatics'.

Regards

Richard
    I far prefer driving the EV or the Disco, if only because both are 'automatics'.
    Have to agree with you @linesrg
    Manual is such a pain!

I'm sure EVs will have range capacity that you need pretty soon. Same goes for towing.
    How long before we see fully EV buses that can go up hills...? That's a different story!

I far prefer driving the EV or the Disco, if only because both are 'automatics'.
    Have to agree with you @linesrg
    Manual is such a pain!

I'm sure EVs will have range capacity that you need pretty soon. Same goes for towing.
    How long before we see fully EV buses that can go up hills...? That's a different story!

• Sorry to hear that your Leaf has been delayed, Marc. I'm not sure what's happening with EVs at the moment - government allowance has reduced and many manufacturers are putting their prices up. Lead times are becoming ridiculous - a new Kona has a September 2019 delivery

Also, many leasing companies have put up their prices (glad I got in before this) and it makes me wonder whether I'll be able to afford another EV when my lease expires. Still, 3 years is a long time in the EV world, so we'll see what happens.
  • Sorry to hear that your Leaf has been delayed, Marc. I'm not sure what's happening with EVs at the moment - government allowance has reduced and many manufacturers are putting their prices up. Lead times are becoming ridiculous - a new Kona has a September 2019 delivery

Also, many leasing companies have put up their prices (glad I got in before this) and it makes me wonder whether I'll be able to afford another EV when my lease expires. Still, 3 years is a long time in the EV world, so we'll see what happens.