• More young people want electric cars

Name:  Car rear light.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  63.7 KB

Young people are keener on getting an electric car than older generations.

A survey carried out by the Automobile Association (AA) has found that young people are less worried about the cost of electric vehicles and charging batteries.

The AA said of more than 10,000 people asked, more than three-quarters said they believe EVs are still too expensive.

But it said that younger people were more comfortable with EV technology.

AA president Edmund King said: “This may confound the ‘boy racer’ image that older people may have of young drivers.

“Although overall numbers are still low, it shows that young drivers are taking an interest in new car technology – despite the fact that three-quarters (76%) are concerned about the high purchase price of EVs."

Is the price putting you off getting an EV? Or are there other reasons?

Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Name:  Car rear light.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  63.7 KB

Young people are keener on getting an electric car than older generations.

A survey carried out by the Automobile Association (AA) has found that young people are less worried about the cost of electric vehicles and charging batteries.

The AA said of more than 10,000 people asked, more than three-quarters said they believe EVs are still too expensive.

But it said that younger people were more comfortable with EV technology.

AA president Edmund King said: “This may confound the ‘boy racer’ image that older people may have of young drivers.

“Although overall numbers are still low, it shows that young drivers are taking an interest in new car technology – despite the fact that three-quarters (76%) are concerned about the high purchase price of EVs."

Is the price putting you off getting an EV? Or are there other reasons?

• It’s not just the price (which doesn’t help), but the range and (lack of) availability of charging points that stops my considering an EV.
  • It’s not just the price (which doesn’t help), but the range and (lack of) availability of charging points that stops my considering an EV.
  • Hi @Buchlyviebill
    Well I'm the same as you. I think the charging points situation will improve very quickly, but in terms of buying an EV, they're out of my price range! And there has't been enough time for a 2nd hand market to grow.

Do you have a dream EV you'd get if price were no object?

• Hi @Buchlyviebill
    Well I'm the same as you. I think the charging points situation will improve very quickly, but in terms of buying an EV, they're out of my price range! And there has't been enough time for a 2nd hand market to grow.

Do you have a dream EV you'd get if price were no object?

• If we are ignoring practicalities, then I would probably go for the Tesla 3 as it is designed to be an EV rather than being adapted from a petrol design car and has an impressive range, if the claims are true.
  • If we are ignoring practicalities, then I would probably go for the Tesla 3 as it is designed to be an EV rather than being adapted from a petrol design car and has an impressive range, if the claims are true.
  • Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Buchlyviebill View Post
    If we are ignoring practicalities, then I would probably go for the Tesla 3
    Just looping in fellow community member @Jon1 who I believe as been salivating over a Tesla for a while! Are you still getting one?

• Nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Buchlyviebill View Post
    If we are ignoring practicalities, then I would probably go for the Tesla 3
    Just looping in fellow community member @Jon1 who I believe as been salivating over a Tesla for a while! Are you still getting one?

• If you order a model 3 now. By the time it arrives you could of saved up and there will be a million and one charging points. Haha.
    My fav on the market at the moment i feel is tesla model s. But i wont be buying for another 3 yrs by which time the range will of boomed.also feel with in 5 yrs charge points will be the norm at supermarkets etc and will become a marketing ploy by big companies to tept you to shop with them.
    Last edited by Jon1; 13-07-18 at 16:24.
  • If you order a model 3 now. By the time it arrives you could of saved up and there will be a million and one charging points. Haha.
    My fav on the market at the moment i feel is tesla model s. But i wont be buying for another 3 yrs by which time the range will of boomed.also feel with in 5 yrs charge points will be the norm at supermarkets etc and will become a marketing ploy by big companies to tept you to shop with them.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    also feel with in 5 yrs charge points will be the norm at supermarkets etc
    Yep, agree that widespread charge points will come within 5 years.
    If I were a betting man (I'm not!) I'd say 3 years.

Another question though @Jon1 and @Buchlyviebill
    Do you think Tesla the company will be around in 5 years?
    BBC reporting Elon Musk is "optimistic" despite record losses and questions over its ability to complete orders for Model 3.

Would you be surprised if Tesla wasn't around by 2023?

• Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    also feel with in 5 yrs charge points will be the norm at supermarkets etc
    Yep, agree that widespread charge points will come within 5 years.
    If I were a betting man (I'm not!) I'd say 3 years.

Another question though @Jon1 and @Buchlyviebill
    Do you think Tesla the company will be around in 5 years?
    BBC reporting Elon Musk is "optimistic" despite record losses and questions over its ability to complete orders for Model 3.

Would you be surprised if Tesla wasn't around by 2023?

• Will tesla survive?
    I think once electric transportation becomes the norm (2025?) We will see a consolidation in the number of vehicle producers even more so as i feel a more enviromentally aware consumer will keep said vechicles for a longer period of time reducing the market even further.tesla is the new kid on the block and have a unique following and a jump on the market but once other producers catch up then i think they will either have to buyout other companies or they will be swallowed up by a bigger rival.
    The fact they support current losses with increased debt, to me says long term plan is to sell a debt free tesla car company. Debt will be absorbed by other tesla companies (space x,boring company,solar city) and these brands will be expanded into new markets.
    But i have not bet my pension savings on this idea and neither should you
  • Will tesla survive?
    I think once electric transportation becomes the norm (2025?) We will see a consolidation in the number of vehicle producers even more so as i feel a more enviromentally aware consumer will keep said vechicles for a longer period of time reducing the market even further.tesla is the new kid on the block and have a unique following and a jump on the market but once other producers catch up then i think they will either have to buyout other companies or they will be swallowed up by a bigger rival.
    The fact they support current losses with increased debt, to me says long term plan is to sell a debt free tesla car company. Debt will be absorbed by other tesla companies (space x,boring company,solar city) and these brands will be expanded into new markets.
    But i have not bet my pension savings on this idea and neither should you
  • Why are EV's soooo expensive?? Shouldn't it be the other way round, all petrol and deisel vehichles should be MORE expensive, as they pose a threat to our planet! It wouould also help stop people buying them! Wouldn't this make more sense.
  • Why are EV's soooo expensive?? Shouldn't it be the other way round, all petrol and deisel vehichles should be MORE expensive, as they pose a threat to our planet! It wouould also help stop people buying them! Wouldn't this make more sense.
  • Hi fleebleflam.

Yes i agree that ev cars should be cheaper than petrol/diesel cars. In my weirdo opinion the vat on new cars should be increased by 2% a year for the next 15yrs. This will drive a push towards electric which will bring down costs and create a much larger 2nd hand market.
  • Hi fleebleflam.

Yes i agree that ev cars should be cheaper than petrol/diesel cars. In my weirdo opinion the vat on new cars should be increased by 2% a year for the next 15yrs. This will drive a push towards electric which will bring down costs and create a much larger 2nd hand market.
  • Quote Originally Posted by fleebleflam View Post
    Why are EV's soooo expensive?? Shouldn't it be the other way round, all petrol and deisel vehichles should be MORE expensive, as they pose a threat to our planet! It wouould also help stop people buying them! Wouldn't this make more sense.
    The car manufacturers say it's due to research and development costs, plus the costs of batteries.
    Once that's been recouped, the prices may come down..... We'll see!
    Are you tempted to get one @fleebleflam ?

Why are EV's soooo expensive?? Shouldn't it be the other way round, all petrol and deisel vehichles should be MORE expensive, as they pose a threat to our planet! It wouould also help stop people buying them! Wouldn't this make more sense.
    The car manufacturers say it's due to research and development costs, plus the costs of batteries.

• Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Once i pass my driving test and the cost of ev's have come down significantly in price, i will make my choice. Atm i think i'll stick to my Xiaomi electric Scooter. Saving the planet and my travel expences all in one go. 😊🤘
    Once i pass my driving test and the cost of ev's have come down significantly in price, i will make my choice. Atm i think i'll stick to my Xiaomi electric Scooter. Saving the planet and my travel expences all in one go. 😊🤘
  • My concern with electric battery cars in the amount of mining and resources needed for the battery. I haven't read any figures recently - so what is the deal on that? Are they still 'environmentaly friendly' when you add that in?
    And of course they still requrie power to be generated to charge. I know we're rapidly moving towards wind/solar non-fossil fuel generation but not there yet.

That said, I would really like to be driving a pure EV within the the next 3 years. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't buy outright for the next 7-10 years as battery tech will improve massively. a 2-3 year lease would be where its at.
    Which makes me concerned for the 2nd hand market. What will the battery state and range be in for 2nd hand EV's?

Finally if Tesla did disappear as a car producer (I'm not convinced it will) then I they will be come a battery tech company for vehicles - the tech they have developed can be licenced for that.
  • My concern with electric battery cars in the amount of mining and resources needed for the battery. I haven't read any figures recently - so what is the deal on that? Are they still 'environmentaly friendly' when you add that in?
    And of course they still requrie power to be generated to charge. I know we're rapidly moving towards wind/solar non-fossil fuel generation but not there yet.

That said, I would really like to be driving a pure EV within the the next 3 years. Even if I could afford it I wouldn't buy outright for the next 7-10 years as battery tech will improve massively. a 2-3 year lease would be where its at.
    Which makes me concerned for the 2nd hand market. What will the battery state and range be in for 2nd hand EV's?

Finally if Tesla did disappear as a car producer (I'm not convinced it will) then I they will be come a battery tech company for vehicles - the tech they have developed can be licenced for that.
    Once i pass my driving test and the cost of ev's have come down significantly in price, i will make my choice. Atm i think i'll stick to my Xiaomi electric Scooter. Saving the planet and my travel expences all in one go.
    Are you one of the 'youth' @fleebleflam ?
    I'd love a go on an electric scooter. Feel that I may look like a bit of wally though, oh and probably injure myself.

Once i pass my driving test and the cost of ev's have come down significantly in price, i will make my choice. Atm i think i'll stick to my Xiaomi electric Scooter. Saving the planet and my travel expences all in one go.
    I'd love a go on an electric scooter. Feel that I may look like a bit of wally though, oh and probably injure myself.

No Marc, i am nearly 50! So Not a youth, but i wish i was again 🤣 These are the future of ev transportation, good for the enviroment, less congestion and gets you from A to B very quickly. Lots of fun!
    I just wish they would lift the legislation on them asap, like all the other countries have done. The UK Gov Suck!!
    No Marc, i am nearly 50! So Not a youth, but i wish i was again 🤣 These are the future of ev transportation, good for the enviroment, less congestion and gets you from A to B very quickly. Lots of fun!
    I just wish they would lift the legislation on them asap, like all the other countries have done. The UK Gov Suck!!
    No Marc, i am nearly 50! So Not a youth, but i wish i was again 🤣
    I wish I was 50 again.
    No Marc, i am nearly 50! So Not a youth, but i wish i was again 🤣
    I wish I was 50 again.
    No Marc, i am nearly 50! So Not a youth, but i wish i was again. These are the future of ev transportation, good for the enviroment, less congestion and gets you from A to B very quickly. Lots of fun!
    Good for you @fleebleflam
    Out of interest, do you ride it on the road like a bicycle?

No Marc, i am nearly 50! So Not a youth, but i wish i was again. These are the future of ev transportation, good for the enviroment, less congestion and gets you from A to B very quickly. Lots of fun!

I ride it on the pavement only if i have to, i use my common sense, wear a helmet, & use my bell to let people know i'm there. I mainly use it on cyle tracks, not cycle paths that are on the road.
    Legislation really needs changing asap to reflect our modern times. We are all now living in the era of EV's, and the laws are very outdated, i think the last bill was passed in 1835, and mentions horse & cart!! So yes it definately need changing asap.
    I have signed a petition to get the Electric Scooters legalised as quickly as possible.
    If you and/or friends have an EV or EScooter, please sign and share, the more people sign, the quicker we can get them legalised.😁🤘

https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-...ble-e-vehicles
    Last edited by fleebleflam; 05-08-19 at 13:49. Reason: .
    I ride it on the pavement only if i have to, i use my common sense, wear a helmet, & use my bell to let people know i'm there. I mainly use it on cyle tracks, not cycle paths that are on the road.
    Legislation really needs changing asap to reflect our modern times. We are all now living in the era of EV's, and the laws are very outdated, i think the last bill was passed in 1835, and mentions horse & cart!! So yes it definately need changing asap.
    I have signed a petition to get the Electric Scooters legalised as quickly as possible.
    If you and/or friends have an EV or EScooter, please sign and share, the more people sign, the quicker we can get them legalised.😁🤘

https://www.change.org/p/sadiq-khan-...ble-e-vehicles
  • Good for you, Flee, I think you should enter this months photo competition 🛴👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Good for you, Flee, I think you should enter this months photo competition 🛴👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Here's a link to the photo comp this month that @Bev mentioned above @fleebleflam

• Here's a link to the photo comp this month that @Bev mentioned above @fleebleflam