• Electric pedal power

I wish I’d bought an electric bike sooner. It’s revolutionised my commute and how I travel in the city. Now I only use the car for long journeys and if there’s too much to carry on the bike.

In a city as hilly as Bristol, it’s brilliant to have a bit of extra help with the pedal power. And it’s even more green because it’s powered by Pure Planet.

Small step, big big change for me. 😁
  • I wish I’d bought an electric bike sooner. It’s revolutionised my commute and how I travel in the city. Now I only use the car for long journeys and if there’s too much to carry on the bike.

In a city as hilly as Bristol, it’s brilliant to have a bit of extra help with the pedal power. And it’s even more green because it’s powered by Pure Planet.

Small step, big big change for me. 😁
  • What make of bike is it? I’m thinking about getting one. Thanks
  • What make of bike is it? I’m thinking about getting one. Thanks
  • Hi @eskimo
    Here's a pretty comprehensive round-up from Cycling Weekly which looks handy
    It's also got me thinking too
    What about electric motorbikes?!
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi @eskimo

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Hi @eskimo
    Cheers. I’ll have a look
    i’ll start with a bicycle, see how I get on. But yeah sounds right that there will be electric motorcycles too.
    Hi @eskimo
    Cheers. I’ll have a look
    i’ll start with a bicycle, see how I get on. But yeah sounds right that there will be electric motorcycles too.
  • Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    Cheers. I’ll have a look
    The big advantage is that you can adjust the power to get the level of exercise that you need/want
  • Quote Originally Posted by eskimo View Post
    Cheers. I’ll have a look
    The big advantage is that you can adjust the power to get the level of exercise that you need/want
  • I have an electric bike from Woosh. It has cut my commute from 1 hr walking to just 15 mins slowly cycling. I now cycle up a hill that is so long and steep that I was physically unable to walk it. I charge it once a week and it can carry up to 25 stone rider and baggage, panniers etc.
  • I have an electric bike from Woosh. It has cut my commute from 1 hr walking to just 15 mins slowly cycling. I now cycle up a hill that is so long and steep that I was physically unable to walk it. I charge it once a week and it can carry up to 25 stone rider and baggage, panniers etc.
    Hi @eskimo
    Just asked my biker hubby what he thought of that notion Marc it was a very emphatic NO! 😂
    Hi @eskimo
    Just asked my biker hubby what he thought of that notion Marc it was a very emphatic NO! 😂
  • Quote Originally Posted by euphoriabuzz View Post
    I have an electric bike from Woosh. It has cut my commute from 1 hr walking to just 15 mins slowly cycling. I now cycle up a hill that is so long and steep that I was physically unable to walk it. I charge it once a week and it can carry up to 25 stone rider and baggage, panniers etc.
    You only have to charge it once a week? Wish my Leaf would last on one charge

How long does your Woosh bike battery take to charge?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Quote Originally Posted by euphoriabuzz View Post
    I have an electric bike from Woosh. It has cut my commute from 1 hr walking to just 15 mins slowly cycling. I now cycle up a hill that is so long and steep that I was physically unable to walk it. I charge it once a week and it can carry up to 25 stone rider and baggage, panniers etc.
    You only have to charge it once a week? Wish my Leaf would last on one charge

How long does your Woosh bike battery take to charge?

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • I have a small wheeled folding bike, a Brompton that I got a third party electric kit fitted to.
    https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/...rompton-System
    You buy the brompton you like, new or second hand, buy a bike bag and carrier and they fit the kit. Costs approx £1800 depending on the bike costs and version of kit.
    My commute by bike is 6miles country lanes into city centre then catch a train. Then a 2 mile cross Bristol cycle plus up a very steep hill called park street to work. I arrive with a grin on my face and not requiring a shower.
    Being folding I don’t have to reserve a space on the train like you do on some trains with a non folder so I can always get on.
    Brompton now have their own electric bike which costs a cool £2800. Electric bikes can cost from £600 for a pretty cheap Chinese bike to several thousand but a good one can be had from £1200-£1,500. Lots and lots to choose from and in every bike shop now. Defo try before buy.
    So In the summer I cycle or in wet cold weather I drive a Leaf which is actually cheaper as there’s no train fare.
  • I have a small wheeled folding bike, a Brompton that I got a third party electric kit fitted to.
    You buy the brompton you like, new or second hand, buy a bike bag and carrier and they fit the kit. Costs approx £1800 depending on the bike costs and version of kit.
    My commute by bike is 6miles country lanes into city centre then catch a train. Then a 2 mile cross Bristol cycle plus up a very steep hill called park street to work. I arrive with a grin on my face and not requiring a shower.
    Being folding I don’t have to reserve a space on the train like you do on some trains with a non folder so I can always get on.
    Brompton now have their own electric bike which costs a cool £2800. Electric bikes can cost from £600 for a pretty cheap Chinese bike to several thousand but a good one can be had from £1200-£1,500. Lots and lots to choose from and in every bike shop now. Defo try before buy.
    So In the summer I cycle or in wet cold weather I drive a Leaf which is actually cheaper as there’s no train fare.
  • Hi @Eastbath
    We were lucky enough to test the electric Brompton. @LauraS did a lovely blog post about it.
    Agree that £2,800 is a bit steep, but not as steep as Park Street! (sorry, I'll get my coat )
    The kit sounds like a nice way to save a grand!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • Hi @Eastbath
    We were lucky enough to test the electric Brompton. @LauraS did a lovely blog post about it.
    Agree that £2,800 is a bit steep, but not as steep as Park Street! (sorry, I'll get my coat )
    The kit sounds like a nice way to save a grand!

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
  • 😂😂😂😂😂👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • 😂😂😂😂😂👍
    Peace is always beautiful.

WALT WHITMAN
  • Interesting post Eastbath thanks. How much weight does the kit add to the bike, is your a 2 or 6 speed, and did you get the standard or upgraded one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastbath View Post
    I have a small wheeled folding bike, a Brompton that I got a third party electric kit fitted to.
  • Interesting post Eastbath thanks. How much weight does the kit add to the bike, is your a 2 or 6 speed, and did you get the standard or upgraded one?
    I have a small wheeled folding bike, a Brompton that I got a third party electric kit fitted to.
  • Hi Woz
    Mines quite old as I bought it off eBay
    It’s an M3R which means m type handlebars (upright ish) 3 speed and has the rack on the back. The whole thing weighs close to 20kgs, battery alone is over 3kgs
    The std bromptons are about 11kg the brompton electric is about 14kg.
    When you say std or upgraded I’m assuming std or super light which has titanium forks and swing arm saving less than a kg and costing an extra £600ish
    Anyway my commute with a laptop in the bag makes the thing really heavy but it works for me, especially on a nice spring day. Can’t wait
  • Hi Woz
    It’s an M3R which means m type handlebars (upright ish) 3 speed and has the rack on the back. The whole thing weighs close to 20kgs, battery alone is over 3kgs
    When you say std or upgraded I’m assuming std or super light which has titanium forks and swing arm saving less than a kg and costing an extra £600ish
    Anyway my commute with a laptop in the bag makes the thing really heavy but it works for me, especially on a nice spring day. Can’t wait
  • hi Eastbath
    Thanks for the info, sorry my question was ambiguous, I meant did you get the standard or upgraded motor kit.- They don't give much info on the website about the weight of either.
    I have an ambition to get an electric Brompton, it's just the price is so high. Your solution is worth thinking about.
    (I don't think you can get the titanium any more, although not looked for a while)
    Hi Woz
  • hi Eastbath
    Thanks for the info, sorry my question was ambiguous, I meant did you get the standard or upgraded motor kit.- They don't give much info on the website about the weight of either.
    I have an ambition to get an electric Brompton, it's just the price is so high. Your solution is worth thinking about.
    (I don't think you can get the titanium any more, although not looked for a while)
    Hi Woz
  • Hi Woz
    I got the 36v version which plenty fast enough
    The Xtreme version I suspect is not really road legal.
    As I’ve mentioned park st is steep and lots of people get off their bikes and walk.
    I can go up in top gear pedaling sitting down and still be doing 12mph at the top.
    It’s quick away from the lights too as it’s effectively two wheel drive.
    You via he pedals drive the rear wheel,the motor the front.
    Once I was sitting at some lights, when a young couple on traditional bikes drew up outside me.
    When the lights turned green I accelerated away leaving them for dust Impressed the woman exclaimed “f*** me”
    At that moment I knew my brompton was worth every penny I’d spent.
  • Hi Woz
    I got the 36v version which plenty fast enough
    The Xtreme version I suspect is not really road legal.
    As I’ve mentioned park st is steep and lots of people get off their bikes and walk.
    I can go up in top gear pedaling sitting down and still be doing 12mph at the top.
    It’s quick away from the lights too as it’s effectively two wheel drive.
    You via he pedals drive the rear wheel,the motor the front.
    Once I was sitting at some lights, when a young couple on traditional bikes drew up outside me.
    When the lights turned green I accelerated away leaving them for dust Impressed the woman exclaimed “f*** me”
    At that moment I knew my brompton was worth every penny I’d spent.