Pure Planet energy member on how he used EVs to beat rising fuel prices
26-06-18, 09:13 - Views: 817
Pure Planet energy member Thom Monk is an early electric vehicle adopter who has learned how to beat rising fuel prices.
Thom bought his first EV, a Nissan Leaf, in 2014.
He told Pure Planet: “At the moment electric cars are pricey, but they’re so much cheaper to run that they eventually pay you back — and there’s obviously a big perk in not polluting the atmosphere you live in.
“Being able to avoid the headache of having to fill up at petrol stations is also a godsend.”
According to the RAC the price of petrol and diesel rose an average of 6p a litre in May.
Thom, who recently bought a Tesla Model S, doesn’t suffer at the rise in fuel.
But, having two EVs meant his home energy bill went up. Which is why he switched to Pure Planet.
“Between our two EVs, we save around £5,000 in petrol bills a year. But the cost of getting to work and back doesn’t just disappear. Instead, you just start paying it out of your energy bills," he said.
“Charging the EVs has changed our household energy consumption massively. We’re now a ‘super-user’ — the need to charge the cars means our energy bills are now more than twice the national average.
“We’re not alone with this, there’s a growing number of EV drivers who drive to work each day.”
If you’re thinking of getting an EV or hybrid, Thom says the two most important things he has learned in his four years owning the Leaf and the Tesla, are:
1. The electricity had to be renewable. It defeats the point of having a clean, electric car if you charge it using fossil fuels.
2. A cost effective solution now he had become a higher user of energy.
Go to our blog to read our full interview with Thom. Or you can check out his interview with This Is Money.
You may also like: Electric plane in testing, passenger flights predicted as soon as 2025
Got any questions about EVs or hybrids? Create a thread in our EVs and hybrids community board.
Last edited by Marc; 26-06-18 at 09:16.
Community Manager - Pure Planet
- New app update - get version 7.32.12 for new features including downloadable statements 😀
- Pure Planet Community latest highlights and rewards leaderboard 😍
- Community tips for an eco-friendly Christmas 🎄
- Sneak preview - how send a meter reading screens will look soon!
- What's the last movie you watched? A fun new thread from @Jowl 🎦
- Find out more about member @Gray4276 who is our latest community Zero Hero
- Why we're still asking for monthly readings from Members with new smart meters
- November photo challenge - illuminations✨
- POLL: What temperature do you heat your home to?