• Will sales of hybrid cars be banned in the UK by 2040?

Name:  Electric car being charged.PNG
Views: 201
Size:  443.9 KB

There are reports that sales of hybrid cars could be banned in the UK by 2040.

Reports over the weekend suggest that the Government wants to ban cars unable to do at least 50 miles on electric power.

Hybrid car sales currently outnumber those of fully electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles, but they emit more pollution because they still burn oil.

Publications including the Financial Times say the scheme - to be called ‘Road to Zero’ is being drawn up to combat emissions.

The Department for Transport has denied the claims, the BBC reports.

According to The Guardian, the proposal to ban sales of hybrid cars - which would affect popular models such as the Toyota Prius - has divided Government ministers.

And The Independent claims that pro-environment groups say the proposed ban does not go far enough.

It said the World Wide Fund for Nature wanted a pledge for all cars to be powered by electricity by 2030 - a decade sooner than the current target.

Have your say - do you think all cars should be 100% electric?

Last edited by Marc; 21-02-19 at 09:23. Reason: Correcting title and post - it's sales of hybrids that could be banned
    Community Manager - Pure Planet

• Name:  Electric car being charged.PNG
Views: 201
Size:  443.9 KB

There are reports that sales of hybrid cars could be banned in the UK by 2040.

Reports over the weekend suggest that the Government wants to ban cars unable to do at least 50 miles on electric power.

Hybrid car sales currently outnumber those of fully electric and plug-in hybrid vehicles, but they emit more pollution because they still burn oil.

Publications including the Financial Times say the scheme - to be called ‘Road to Zero’ is being drawn up to combat emissions.

The Department for Transport has denied the claims, the BBC reports.

According to The Guardian, the proposal to ban sales of hybrid cars - which would affect popular models such as the Toyota Prius - has divided Government ministers.

And The Independent claims that pro-environment groups say the proposed ban does not go far enough.

It said the World Wide Fund for Nature wanted a pledge for all cars to be powered by electricity by 2030 - a decade sooner than the current target.

Have your say - do you think all cars should be 100% electric?

• Yes i would ban them. Lets face it a toyota prius has a range of less than 50 miles. Hardly hydrid and barely green. I would like to see a minimum 100 mile range on any hybrid and to be honest i think a lower limit will be set to prevent cheating as at the moment you could in theory stick an electric motor capable of doing 5 miles and its classed as hydrid.
  • Yes i would ban them. Lets face it a toyota prius has a range of less than 50 miles. Hardly hydrid and barely green. I would like to see a minimum 100 mile range on any hybrid and to be honest i think a lower limit will be set to prevent cheating as at the moment you could in theory stick an electric motor capable of doing 5 miles and its classed as hydrid.
  • Whoa, not holding back there @Jon1 😅
    Interesting idea about a minimum 100 mile range on hybrids. Can we assume that'll be the normal range within a few years?

• Whoa, not holding back there @Jon1 😅
    Interesting idea about a minimum 100 mile range on hybrids. Can we assume that'll be the normal range within a few years?

• Yes i feel we need to be proactive and setting a minimum range will push the development of the technology. However as more and more nations bring in a ban the faster the demish of the traditional petrol station will be, becoming more of a destination coffeshop/cafe style so as you recharge you have lunch or whatever.

On a slightly different twist any bets on how long it will be before tesco (or another)introduce on mass 50+ charging bays at the supermarket. Pull up insert pound coin and recharge while you shop.
    My guess within 5 yrs.
  • Yes i feel we need to be proactive and setting a minimum range will push the development of the technology. However as more and more nations bring in a ban the faster the demish of the traditional petrol station will be, becoming more of a destination coffeshop/cafe style so as you recharge you have lunch or whatever.

On a slightly different twist any bets on how long it will be before tesco (or another)introduce on mass 50+ charging bays at the supermarket. Pull up insert pound coin and recharge while you shop.
    My guess within 5 yrs.
  • I think worrying about Hybrid Ban or Fossil Fuel ban in 2040 is a waste of time. The market will be well shifted by then. The Tax system is shifting already to encourage Full EVs and Hybrids with different ranges. The nonsense Sub 30 mile Hybrids we have today will be long gone. Hybrids in 2040 will probably not even be worth any ones effort developing because full evs will have massive range and be affordable.
  • I think worrying about Hybrid Ban or Fossil Fuel ban in 2040 is a waste of time. The market will be well shifted by then. The Tax system is shifting already to encourage Full EVs and Hybrids with different ranges. The nonsense Sub 30 mile Hybrids we have today will be long gone. Hybrids in 2040 will probably not even be worth any ones effort developing because full evs will have massive range and be affordable.
  • Economics as ever will dictate the market
    21.3 years to 2040, no car manufacturer is going to be able to sell something that's guaranteed to be obsolete in say 10-12 years
    and second hand values will collapse (or they may become collectors items...)
    That leaves us 10 years of potential hybrid manufacture vs all electric.
    Given development timelines if I was a car manufacturer I'd soon be announcing the death of the hybrid, my guess is within the next 4 years.
  • Economics as ever will dictate the market
    21.3 years to 2040, no car manufacturer is going to be able to sell something that's guaranteed to be obsolete in say 10-12 years
    and second hand values will collapse (or they may become collectors items...)
    That leaves us 10 years of potential hybrid manufacture vs all electric.
    Given development timelines if I was a car manufacturer I'd soon be announcing the death of the hybrid, my guess is within the next 4 years.
  • Good point @UncleScooby
    What's your prediction for mainstream EV adoption (for new cars, anyway)?
    2030? Or sooner, as @woz predicts?

• Good point @UncleScooby
    What's your prediction for mainstream EV adoption (for new cars, anyway)?
    2030? Or sooner, as @woz predicts?

• Easily 2030, you have to remember that in the UK we went for 2040 to rid ourselves of Fossil fuelled cars, however other EU countries went for 2030. With that in mind, manufacturers have targeted 2030 at latest. The next 3-4 years will see a massive influx of new EV models, we have already seen 5/6 new EVs with range 200+ launched in the last few months starting from £25K. Most manufacturers have pledged to have all their cars models with an electric offering in next 4 years. 2018 is seeing massive growth figures now Diesel has dropped in favour. Company car drivers will switch in their droves with 2% BIK in 2020. The governments pledge for every petrol station to have EV charge points, every new house, all new street lamps etc along with 800v Superfast charging meaning you can fill up in the time it takes to do a toilet stop the momentum will really pick up. I am a new EV owner (literally as of Saturday) and it is such a relaxing way to drive, less noise, smoother acceleration, one pedal operation (breaks hardly ever get used) not to mentions cheaper running costs, how often do you change break pads in a car normally? Well EVs are currently seeing 200K miles on one set!! A lot of people say the range is small, but remember for most you start every journey full as you charge at home overnight (or day if you work nights). How many journeys do you do over 200 miles in a day?

I would be very surprised if by 2025 they were not the mainstream new cars. The biggest issue to this is all the electricity required. I dropped a post in another thread about this wear virtual power grids using EVs and battery storage along with 30 minute billing smart meters and appropriate tariffs will help balance the grid. Pure planet needs to get their early and ride the wave!
    Last edited by UncleScooby; 24-09-18 at 14:26.
  • Easily 2030, you have to remember that in the UK we went for 2040 to rid ourselves of Fossil fuelled cars, however other EU countries went for 2030. With that in mind, manufacturers have targeted 2030 at latest. The next 3-4 years will see a massive influx of new EV models, we have already seen 5/6 new EVs with range 200+ launched in the last few months starting from £25K. Most manufacturers have pledged to have all their cars models with an electric offering in next 4 years. 2018 is seeing massive growth figures now Diesel has dropped in favour. Company car drivers will switch in their droves with 2% BIK in 2020. The governments pledge for every petrol station to have EV charge points, every new house, all new street lamps etc along with 800v Superfast charging meaning you can fill up in the time it takes to do a toilet stop the momentum will really pick up. I am a new EV owner (literally as of Saturday) and it is such a relaxing way to drive, less noise, smoother acceleration, one pedal operation (breaks hardly ever get used) not to mentions cheaper running costs, how often do you change break pads in a car normally? Well EVs are currently seeing 200K miles on one set!! A lot of people say the range is small, but remember for most you start every journey full as you charge at home overnight (or day if you work nights). How many journeys do you do over 200 miles in a day?

I would be very surprised if by 2025 they were not the mainstream new cars. The biggest issue to this is all the electricity required. I dropped a post in another thread about this wear virtual power grids using EVs and battery storage along with 30 minute billing smart meters and appropriate tariffs will help balance the grid. Pure planet needs to get their early and ride the wave!
  • Great post @UncleScooby

I've got a Nissan Leaf (2018 edition) on order after getting the chance to test one. I'm leasing, not buying.
    Agree with what you say about the driving experience. So much better. And really nippy too.

Which EV did you get, out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooby View Post
    Easily 2030, you have to remember that in the UK we went for 2040 to rid ourselves of Fossil fuelled cars, however other EU countries went for 2030. With that in mind, manufacturers have targeted 2030 at latest. The next 3-4 years will see a massive influx of new EV models, we have already seen 5/6 new EVs with range 200+ launched in the last few months starting from £25K. Most manufacturers have pledged to have all their cars models with an electric offering in next 4 years. 2018 is seeing massive growth figures now Diesel has dropped in favour. Company car drivers will switch in their droves with 2% BIK in 2020. The governments pledge for every petrol station to have EV charge points, every new house, all new street lamps etc along with 800v Superfast charging meaning you can fill up in the time it takes to do a toilet stop the momentum will really pick up. I am a new EV owner (literally as of Saturday) and it is such a relaxing way to drive, less noise, smoother acceleration, one pedal operation (breaks hardly ever get used) not to mentions cheaper running costs, how often do you change break pads in a car normally? Well EVs are currently seeing 200K miles on one set!! A lot of people say the range is small, but remember for most you start every journey full as you charge at home overnight (or day if you work nights). How many journeys do you do over 200 miles in a day?

• Great post @UncleScooby

I've got a Nissan Leaf (2018 edition) on order after getting the chance to test one. I'm leasing, not buying.
    Agree with what you say about the driving experience. So much better. And really nippy too.

Which EV did you get, out of interest?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooby View Post
    Easily 2030, you have to remember that in the UK we went for 2040 to rid ourselves of Fossil fuelled cars, however other EU countries went for 2030. With that in mind, manufacturers have targeted 2030 at latest. The next 3-4 years will see a massive influx of new EV models, we have already seen 5/6 new EVs with range 200+ launched in the last few months starting from £25K. Most manufacturers have pledged to have all their cars models with an electric offering in next 4 years. 2018 is seeing massive growth figures now Diesel has dropped in favour. Company car drivers will switch in their droves with 2% BIK in 2020. The governments pledge for every petrol station to have EV charge points, every new house, all new street lamps etc along with 800v Superfast charging meaning you can fill up in the time it takes to do a toilet stop the momentum will really pick up. I am a new EV owner (literally as of Saturday) and it is such a relaxing way to drive, less noise, smoother acceleration, one pedal operation (breaks hardly ever get used) not to mentions cheaper running costs, how often do you change break pads in a car normally? Well EVs are currently seeing 200K miles on one set!! A lot of people say the range is small, but remember for most you start every journey full as you charge at home overnight (or day if you work nights). How many journeys do you do over 200 miles in a day?

• The 2018 Leaf is a nice step up from the old one, sure you will enjoy it when it arrives! We got a Tesla Model X, company purchase due to the nice Tax Advantages, coupled with the fuel savings etc it makes it far more affordable than I imagined for such an expensive car. Will be saving about £4K a year on running costs. For us it works out very well, but everyone's savings will be different depending on circumstances. If you own your own business the 100% Write down allowance in year one can save you a lot of tax. I went in now as I am sure the tax breaks will disappear as more people go electric. Will be interesting to see how the plug in car grant changes after October, that will give us some idea of what the Government is thinking about take up.

Martin
  • The 2018 Leaf is a nice step up from the old one, sure you will enjoy it when it arrives! We got a Tesla Model X, company purchase due to the nice Tax Advantages, coupled with the fuel savings etc it makes it far more affordable than I imagined for such an expensive car. Will be saving about £4K a year on running costs. For us it works out very well, but everyone's savings will be different depending on circumstances. If you own your own business the 100% Write down allowance in year one can save you a lot of tax. I went in now as I am sure the tax breaks will disappear as more people go electric. Will be interesting to see how the plug in car grant changes after October, that will give us some idea of what the Government is thinking about take up.

Martin
  • Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooby View Post
    We got a Tesla Model X
    Wow! Super jealous Bet it's a beauty to drive
    Yep, I'm really looking forward to the Leaf. Just got to sort out the wall charger at home....

• Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooby View Post
    We got a Tesla Model X
    Wow! Super jealous Bet it's a beauty to drive
    Yep, I'm really looking forward to the Leaf. Just got to sort out the wall charger at home....

• Yes it is a great car, we are lucky to have one! I am still trying to sort out any charging at home, Cannot get to a socket with in reach of the vehicle to charge at 13A and have complications with getting charger installed, having to rely on public charging at the moment! Might have to go 3 phase, expensive but would mean I could charge quick
  • Yes it is a great car, we are lucky to have one! I am still trying to sort out any charging at home, Cannot get to a socket with in reach of the vehicle to charge at 13A and have complications with getting charger installed, having to rely on public charging at the moment! Might have to go 3 phase, expensive but would mean I could charge quick
  • Totally acknowledge that a ban of carbon dioxide emitting vehicle technologies has to be in place sooner rather than later. I am currently a hybrid Toyota Yaris driver and get on average well over 350 miles per petrol refill (about 30 litres) Not sure I could tell you what the battery alone provides on one full charge as the 2 techs work hand in glove ( clue is in the name hybrid really). Can I enquire some of the previous ranges quoted eg for the Prius, that cannot be when fully fuelled? So how can they quote the battery alone?
    As I feel has also been touched on already, any move in legislation to hybrids with batteries of 50/100+ mile ranges must be from a manufacturing stand point and not just whisk them off the road in say 5 or10 years or we will have a lot of empty offices, A +E staffrooms, schools as people will still be driving these lower range hybrids that are currently being purchased.
  • Totally acknowledge that a ban of carbon dioxide emitting vehicle technologies has to be in place sooner rather than later. I am currently a hybrid Toyota Yaris driver and get on average well over 350 miles per petrol refill (about 30 litres) Not sure I could tell you what the battery alone provides on one full charge as the 2 techs work hand in glove ( clue is in the name hybrid really). Can I enquire some of the previous ranges quoted eg for the Prius, that cannot be when fully fuelled? So how can they quote the battery alone?
    As I feel has also been touched on already, any move in legislation to hybrids with batteries of 50/100+ mile ranges must be from a manufacturing stand point and not just whisk them off the road in say 5 or10 years or we will have a lot of empty offices, A +E staffrooms, schools as people will still be driving these lower range hybrids that are currently being purchased.
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

There are reports that hybrid cars could be banned in the UK by 2040.

Hello @Marc

Not quite?

The title of the Guardian article you quote is as follows:

"Michael Gove leading plan to ban sale of new hybrid cars by 2040"

Banning new hybrid cars is very different from banning hybrid cars.
    Last edited by Lenny; 20-02-19 at 17:38. Reason: Typo
  • Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post

There are reports that hybrid cars could be banned in the UK by 2040.

Hello @Marc

Not quite?

The title of the Guardian article you quote is as follows:

"Michael Gove leading plan to ban sale of new hybrid cars by 2040"

Banning new hybrid cars is very different from banning hybrid cars.
  • Hi @Lenny
    Well spotted. Not sure how I missed that.
    I've amended it

• Hi @Lenny
    Well spotted. Not sure how I missed that.
    I've amended it