• I've switched to Pure Planet so why is my old supplier still charging me?

Name:  Whirring turbine.PNG
Views: 1143
Size:  209.2 KB

We sometimes get questions from members who have switched to Pure Planet but get a bill from their old supplier, or are still making Direct Debit payments to their old supplier.

They want to know how their old supplier can still be charging them when they have switched away and are already on supply with Pure Planet?

And then, to make matters more confusing, if they contact their old supplier to query this, some people are incorrectly told that we haven’t sent them your meter readings.

It takes about six weeks from the date you switched to Pure Planet for your old supplier to send you a final bill.

This is what happens in those six weeks:

From your switch date we send your opening meter readings (the ones we ask you to submit in the app about five days before your switch date) to an energy industry database.
    If you don’t send us the opening meter readings we use an estimate based on previous usage.

Two things can then happen after that.

One
    The industry database matches your opening meter readings. We and your old supplier are informed. If you’ve got electricity and gas, one set of meter readings may be sent to your old supplier several days before the other (this is why some old suppliers claim to only have received one).

The switch then progresses and your old supplier issues you a final bill.

But, occasionally, your old supplier may dispute the reading, for instance if your opening meter readings do not match their own records by a big margin.

If this happens we will liaise directly with your old supplier to reach an agreement. To help this process we’ll use the photos you took of your meter(s) when you sent us your first reading(s). We may need you to send us new meter readings and/or photos.

Two
    We have a query with your opening meter readings, because there is a large difference between your opening meter readings and the estimated readings held on the central industry database, based on your previous energy usage.

If this happens, we will then liaise with your old supplier to reach an agreement. To help this process we’ll use the photos you took of your meter(s) when you sent us your first reading(s). We may need you to send us new meter readings and/or photos.

You will remain on supply with Pure Planet throughout.

It usually takes six weeks, after which you will get your final bill from your old supplier, and if you’ve been paying them for energy you haven’t used, you can expect a refund.

You may also like: The top 11 things you need to know when you switch to Pure Planet
    Last edited by Marc; 26-09-18 at 12:53. Reason: Fixed some text formatting
    Community Manager - Pure Planet.

• Name:  Whirring turbine.PNG
Views: 1143
Size:  209.2 KB

We sometimes get questions from members who have switched to Pure Planet but get a bill from their old supplier, or are still making Direct Debit payments to their old supplier.

They want to know how their old supplier can still be charging them when they have switched away and are already on supply with Pure Planet?

And then, to make matters more confusing, if they contact their old supplier to query this, some people are incorrectly told that we haven’t sent them your meter readings.

It takes about six weeks from the date you switched to Pure Planet for your old supplier to send you a final bill.

This is what happens in those six weeks:

From your switch date we send your opening meter readings (the ones we ask you to submit in the app about five days before your switch date) to an energy industry database.
    If you don’t send us the opening meter readings we use an estimate based on previous usage.

Two things can then happen after that.

One
    The industry database matches your opening meter readings. We and your old supplier are informed. If you’ve got electricity and gas, one set of meter readings may be sent to your old supplier several days before the other (this is why some old suppliers claim to only have received one).

The switch then progresses and your old supplier issues you a final bill.

But, occasionally, your old supplier may dispute the reading, for instance if your opening meter readings do not match their own records by a big margin.

If this happens we will liaise directly with your old supplier to reach an agreement. To help this process we’ll use the photos you took of your meter(s) when you sent us your first reading(s). We may need you to send us new meter readings and/or photos.

Two
    We have a query with your opening meter readings, because there is a large difference between your opening meter readings and the estimated readings held on the central industry database, based on your previous energy usage.

If this happens, we will then liaise with your old supplier to reach an agreement. To help this process we’ll use the photos you took of your meter(s) when you sent us your first reading(s). We may need you to send us new meter readings and/or photos.

You will remain on supply with Pure Planet throughout.

It usually takes six weeks, after which you will get your final bill from your old supplier, and if you’ve been paying them for energy you haven’t used, you can expect a refund.

You may also like: The top 11 things you need to know when you switch to Pure Planet

• I've switched to Pure Planet so why is my old supplier still charging me?

My gas account was finalised with SSE on the 17th Feb but they are still waiting for Pure Planet to contact them with a final reading for the electricity account. I only noticed this because I had a fairly large credit on the electricity which was almost offset by a debit on the gas account and because the latter had been finalised, SSE took the direct debit. I contacted them to complain but it turns out it's not their fault. This needs sorting ASAP by Pure Planet!

I also tried to contact Pure Planet via chat on the app and nothing happens, which leaves me the only option, as far as I can tell, of putting this on a public forum - not ideal!

Having only just joined, I can say I'm not impressed and if there are any further issues which cause more inconvenience, I'm off!
  • My gas account was finalised with SSE on the 17th Feb but they are still waiting for Pure Planet to contact them with a final reading for the electricity account. I only noticed this because I had a fairly large credit on the electricity which was almost offset by a debit on the gas account and because the latter had been finalised, SSE took the direct debit. I contacted them to complain but it turns out it's not their fault. This needs sorting ASAP by Pure Planet!

I also tried to contact Pure Planet via chat on the app and nothing happens, which leaves me the only option, as far as I can tell, of putting this on a public forum - not ideal!

Having only just joined, I can say I'm not impressed and if there are any further issues which cause more inconvenience, I'm off!

• I'm not sure if this was posted as a result of my earlier post but I need specific help about my electricity account - gas is fine, so why has electricity not yet been finalised a month after the gas was? Can you tell me exactly where things are up to with my account?
  • I'm not sure if this was posted as a result of my earlier post but I need specific help about my electricity account - gas is fine, so why has electricity not yet been finalised a month after the gas was? Can you tell me exactly where things are up to with my account?

• Hi @Banky777
    Thanks for posting in the community
    I've also added your other post here - to avoid duplication and multiple posts/replies. That can be confusing for other members to follow.
    Great to hear that you've contacted the team via the app. If it's something specific to your account that's the best option. It's not a live-chat but I will flag this up with the team

• Hi @Banky777
    Thanks for posting in the community
    I've also added your other post here - to avoid duplication and multiple posts/replies. That can be confusing for other members to follow.
    Great to hear that you've contacted the team via the app. If it's something specific to your account that's the best option. It's not a live-chat but I will flag this up with the team

• Shouldnt any credit or debit from the old supplier be transferred tomy Pure Planet account?
  • Shouldnt any credit or debit from the old supplier be transferred tomy Pure Planet account?

• Hi andy.
    Now that would be a good idea actually.however once your old acct is finalised they will refund you.
  • Hi andy.
    Now that would be a good idea actually.however once your old acct is finalised they will refund you.

• A nice idea in theory @andymorri1
    As we're separate businesses it's not likely that system would ever work.
    It's a bit like phone bills. If I racked up debts to O2, I don't image that Vodafone would be willing to take those on!

But yes as @Jon1 says you will get a refund if you're paying twice during a switch

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hi andy.

• A nice idea in theory @andymorri1
    As we're separate businesses it's not likely that system would ever work.
    It's a bit like phone bills. If I racked up debts to O2, I don't image that Vodafone would be willing to take those on!

But yes as @Jon1 says you will get a refund if you're paying twice during a switch

Quote Originally Posted by Jon1 View Post
    Hi andy.

• Hi I'm having similar problems. I dud post something via Trustpilot, got a response from Hayley. She said she'd replied to my wattbott message - can I find it? Heck no! So trying this way. It seems the supply numbers between Pure Planet and my old supplier (EDF) are different and both of you are charging for supply. How do I resolve this?
  • Hi I'm having similar problems. I dud post something via Trustpilot, got a response from Hayley. She said she'd replied to my wattbott message - can I find it? Heck no! So trying this way. It seems the supply numbers between Pure Planet and my old supplier (EDF) are different and both of you are charging for supply. How do I resolve this?

• Hi @pknuts
    Looks like you found the message from our team, as they got a reply from you at 10.55am.
    But to be sure they've also sent you a text message.
    Things getting sorted?

• Hi @pknuts
    Looks like you found the message from our team, as they got a reply from you at 10.55am.
    But to be sure they've also sent you a text message.
    Things getting sorted?

• I also have my first bill coming off today and I'd like to delay my payment for a couple of days, is this possible?
    Thanks
    Colin
  • I also have my first bill coming off today and I'd like to delay my payment for a couple of days, is this possible?
    Thanks
    Colin

• Hi @Colin M
    Alas not, as it takes several days for any changes to take effect.
    If you think you might miss a payment please contact the Member services team in advance.
    Also you might want to take a look at this article from our knowledge hub about what to do if you're not able to pay
    The key thing is to let us know and we'll do all we can to help

• Hi @Colin M
    Alas not, as it takes several days for any changes to take effect.
    If you think you might miss a payment please contact the Member services team in advance.
    Also you might want to take a look at this article from our knowledge hub about what to do if you're not able to pay
    The key thing is to let us know and we'll do all we can to help

• Quote Originally Posted by Banky777 View Post
    My gas account was finalised with SSE on the 17th Feb but they are still waiting for Pure Planet to contact them with a final reading for the electricity account. I only noticed this because I had a fairly large credit on the electricity which was almost offset by a debit on the gas account and because the latter had been finalised, SSE took the direct debit. I contacted them to complain but it turns out it's not their fault. This needs sorting ASAP by Pure Planet!

Hi Banky
    It's not your only option, if you were still in credit overall (including any charges yet to be taken) with SSE before they took the DD you could ask your bank to reverse the DD and ask SSE to use the credit on the electric to compensate. It is SSE's fault, this is extremely common when people switch there is always an overlap.
    People expect energy switches to be resolved instantly, it just does not happen, ever.

I partly blame ofgem for the switching debacle, if they made it mandatory for energy companies to finalise within 2 weeks (with a get-out clause for exceptional circumstances like large debt or being unable to get a customer response) 90% of problems like this wouldn't happen. 6 weeks is far too long to finalise and always results in two lots of payments. Many can't afford to pay twice in one month, or sometimes twice in 2 months - although no-one should pay for the same energy twice.
    Last edited by woz; 24-08-18 at 16:50. Reason: goldfish syndrome
  • Quote Originally Posted by Banky777 View Post

Hi Banky
    It's not your only option, if you were still in credit overall (including any charges yet to be taken) with SSE before they took the DD you could ask your bank to reverse the DD and ask SSE to use the credit on the electric to compensate. It is SSE's fault, this is extremely common when people switch there is always an overlap.
    People expect energy switches to be resolved instantly, it just does not happen, ever.

I partly blame ofgem for the switching debacle, if they made it mandatory for energy companies to finalise within 2 weeks (with a get-out clause for exceptional circumstances like large debt or being unable to get a customer response) 90% of problems like this wouldn't happen. 6 weeks is far too long to finalise and always results in two lots of payments. Many can't afford to pay twice in one month, or sometimes twice in 2 months - although no-one should pay for the same energy twice.

• hi..
    I have a similar problem. to those already posted here.. 10 weeks since switchover and still no final bill from my old supplier..
    I have contacted them to complain but they say they have received no confirmation of service transfer from pure planet..
    my opening readings on the app also don't appear to be accurate..
    how can this be resolved..?.. I don't really want to switch again but this isn't a great start..
  • hi..
    I have a similar problem. to those already posted here.. 10 weeks since switchover and still no final bill from my old supplier..
    I have contacted them to complain but they say they have received no confirmation of service transfer from pure planet..
    how can this be resolved..?.. I don't really want to switch again but this isn't a great start..

• hi mbrownlees
    I assume you have had a welcome pack and statements etc. from PP?
    M guess is that PP have sent them confirmation, but hopefully @Marc Will pick this up and check it out.
    10 weeks is a long time..you're very patient!
    If you don't get a message head off to help in the app,ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask there.
    In the meanwhile if you are sure you've switched I'd contact your old supplier and escalate it at their end too, also make sure they reduce the DD to as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownlees View Post
    hi..
  • hi mbrownlees
    I assume you have had a welcome pack and statements etc. from PP?
    M guess is that PP have sent them confirmation, but hopefully @Marc Will pick this up and check it out.
    10 weeks is a long time..you're very patient!
    If you don't get a message head off to help in the app,ask wattbot, type "message the team" and ask there.
    In the meanwhile if you are sure you've switched I'd contact your old supplier and escalate it at their end too, also make sure they reduce the DD to as low as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownlees View Post
    hi..

• Quote Originally Posted by mbrownlees View Post
    hi..
    Hi @mbrownlees
    I've flagged this up with our Member services team
    They emailed you last month asking for confirmation of your meter numbers.
    Did you get this?

• Quote Originally Posted by mbrownlees View Post
    hi..
    Hi @mbrownlees
    I've flagged this up with our Member services team
    They emailed you last month asking for confirmation of your meter numbers.
    Did you get this?