• Hats off to you re the pastry Laura! OMG not even Mary Berry makes her own!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!! Guess once you’d set your heart on the dessert, it had to be done. Bet it tasted better too!

Absolutely re not being able to give up absolutely everything, no way around the crisps, unless make your own of course, which are nice, and deffo healthier, but nothing beats Walkers of course!

Funny enough, got into this topic with my hairdresser today. He was saying how he’d been vegetarian since birth, and me for thirty years, but I did eat meat as a child. We then ended up on about recycling from there, and the planet, and he said just what you said, whereby if the likes of us do quite a bit in trying to save the planet, but lots still choose to do nothing, sadly that’s worse than if everyone just tried to do a small bit. Sadly tho, even with education and encouragement, some will never ever want to change. Just want convenience and ease. Thinking of today, not the future. Appreciate its not always practical or possible, but a lot of it is down to ignorance or laziness.

I rarely go into the city centre but did pass LUSH today but the smell is sooo strong, almost a little off putting, as wafts all around the whole shopping complex. Saying that, I like the deodorant idea Laura, BUT would it pass the white marks test with black attire? That’ll be the decider. Soap bars take me back to childhood, and think they are absolutely fine if not shared. The body scrub and seaweed shampoo sound great.

Lastly, the orange! That’s beyond infuriating isn’t it?! Jesus wept!

Bet you’ll actually be quite reluctant to go back to your pre challenge ways. Know realistically a month is by far long enough, as I said at the start, as soooo many hurdles, but I guess as time goes on, and more and more is done by manufacturers, then hopefully more of the population will jump on board.

Keep it up, Laura!
  • Hats off to you re the pastry Laura! OMG not even Mary Berry makes her own!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!! Guess once you’d set your heart on the dessert, it had to be done. Bet it tasted better too!

Absolutely re not being able to give up absolutely everything, no way around the crisps, unless make your own of course, which are nice, and deffo healthier, but nothing beats Walkers of course!

Funny enough, got into this topic with my hairdresser today. He was saying how he’d been vegetarian since birth, and me for thirty years, but I did eat meat as a child. We then ended up on about recycling from there, and the planet, and he said just what you said, whereby if the likes of us do quite a bit in trying to save the planet, but lots still choose to do nothing, sadly that’s worse than if everyone just tried to do a small bit. Sadly tho, even with education and encouragement, some will never ever want to change. Just want convenience and ease. Thinking of today, not the future. Appreciate its not always practical or possible, but a lot of it is down to ignorance or laziness.

I rarely go into the city centre but did pass LUSH today but the smell is sooo strong, almost a little off putting, as wafts all around the whole shopping complex. Saying that, I like the deodorant idea Laura, BUT would it pass the white marks test with black attire? That’ll be the decider. Soap bars take me back to childhood, and think they are absolutely fine if not shared. The body scrub and seaweed shampoo sound great.

Lastly, the orange! That’s beyond infuriating isn’t it?! Jesus wept!

Bet you’ll actually be quite reluctant to go back to your pre challenge ways. Know realistically a month is by far long enough, as I said at the start, as soooo many hurdles, but I guess as time goes on, and more and more is done by manufacturers, then hopefully more of the population will jump on board.

Keep it up, Laura!
  • Thanks for your kind words @Bev !! I should say it wasn't puff pastry, just a quick short crust!

It's great that you're starting conversations about things that are good for the planet, every little helps. I've found even just having a chat about giving up plastic gets people to view their plastic consumption differently, so keep doing what you're doing! It's true that some people will never change, but if it becomes the norm people won't have to change in the future.

I agree, the smell is pretty noticeable! I found that the staff were super helpful though, and helped me find products that suited me personally. They have lots of different options for each product, so give it a go! Maybe you'll be able to find a new deodorant or type of soap.

There's definitely some new ways of life I love, like eating better food and using more natural products. Some convenience things are frustrating at times though, and I think after the challenge I'll go back to some plastic products. I've really cut down though!

Did you try any plastic free things over the weekend?
  • Thanks for your kind words @Bev !! I should say it wasn't puff pastry, just a quick short crust!

It's great that you're starting conversations about things that are good for the planet, every little helps. I've found even just having a chat about giving up plastic gets people to view their plastic consumption differently, so keep doing what you're doing! It's true that some people will never change, but if it becomes the norm people won't have to change in the future.

I agree, the smell is pretty noticeable! I found that the staff were super helpful though, and helped me find products that suited me personally. They have lots of different options for each product, so give it a go! Maybe you'll be able to find a new deodorant or type of soap.

There's definitely some new ways of life I love, like eating better food and using more natural products. Some convenience things are frustrating at times though, and I think after the challenge I'll go back to some plastic products. I've really cut down though!

Did you try any plastic free things over the weekend?
  • Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	498.6 KB 
ID:	531 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	497.0 KB 
ID:	537

I mentioned earlier that I was looking at cleanliness and hygiene in particular this week. I tried cleaning using lemon and baking soda - really effective and no nasty chemicals. I used a lemon spray attachment thing, I'm thrilled with it! It's unfortunately made from plastic, but not single use. If there's more demand from consumers maybe it'll become more mainstream in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Name:	IMG_0437.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	498.6 KB 
ID:	531 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0436.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	497.0 KB 
ID:	537

I mentioned earlier that I was looking at cleanliness and hygiene in particular this week. I tried cleaning using lemon and baking soda - really effective and no nasty chemicals. I used a lemon spray attachment thing, I'm thrilled with it! It's unfortunately made from plastic, but not single use. If there's more demand from consumers maybe it'll become more mainstream in the future.
  • Wowsa, I use the exact same thing Laura!!!!!!! Bought it online few years back, always got lemons in fridge anyway as love them hot instead of tea, so they’re great for cleaning too! I use the spray like you, then use the remains of the lemon for kitchen worksurfaces, just rubbing the lemon across. Smells divine! Sooo pleased you love it!

I’ve also tried including baking soda for homemade shampoo recipe. Obviously you don’t get the foaming bubbles like shop shampoos but does the job exactly the same. I did try making own toothpaste too. Like you say Laura, when it hopefully becomes the norm for the majority, future generations will look back in disbelief at the amount of unnecessary wastage we produced.

PS When the African lemons are available, think it’s more a summer thing, they’re HUGE and perfect for your sprayer. Great minds think alike!
  • Wowsa, I use the exact same thing Laura!!!!!!! Bought it online few years back, always got lemons in fridge anyway as love them hot instead of tea, so they’re great for cleaning too! I use the spray like you, then use the remains of the lemon for kitchen worksurfaces, just rubbing the lemon across. Smells divine! Sooo pleased you love it!

I’ve also tried including baking soda for homemade shampoo recipe. Obviously you don’t get the foaming bubbles like shop shampoos but does the job exactly the same. I did try making own toothpaste too. Like you say Laura, when it hopefully becomes the norm for the majority, future generations will look back in disbelief at the amount of unnecessary wastage we produced.

PS When the African lemons are available, think it’s more a summer thing, they’re HUGE and perfect for your sprayer. Great minds think alike!
  • That's so great to hear @Bev! It's wonderful to hear that you're using natural products for cleaning, and benefiting from the occasional cup of hot lemon too! Sounds like a win win.

Fantastic, sounds like you're well on your way when it comes to reducing your plastic consumption. I love how creative you've been with shampoo and toothpaste! I've tried making my own toothpaste out of baking soda, and found it quite strange to start with.

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll keep an eye out for them because as you say, the sprayer is great.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:  soapinhand.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  164.9 KB

The next post in the series on ditching disposable plastic is now on the Pure Planet blog! Have a read and let me know what you think.

https://blog.purepla.net/ditching-di...3-6ed9594f2827
  • That's so great to hear @Bev! It's wonderful to hear that you're using natural products for cleaning, and benefiting from the occasional cup of hot lemon too! Sounds like a win win.

Fantastic, sounds like you're well on your way when it comes to reducing your plastic consumption. I love how creative you've been with shampoo and toothpaste! I've tried making my own toothpaste out of baking soda, and found it quite strange to start with.

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll keep an eye out for them because as you say, the sprayer is great.

- - - Updated - - -

Name:  soapinhand.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  164.9 KB

The next post in the series on ditching disposable plastic is now on the Pure Planet blog! Have a read and let me know what you think.

https://blog.purepla.net/ditching-di...3-6ed9594f2827
  • I did larf at “happy to kelp!”

I am certain there is no need to wash hair as often as we all do, I don’t even find the smell of modern day shampoos all that appealing, and actually find washing my hair less keeps it HEALTHIER . Like you say Laura, it did no harm at all centuries ago when there was no alternative.

Not long to go now! Ooooh I’d miss tomatoes too, guess maybe market tomatoes would be an option as pretty sure they’d come loose. Bet you’re already focussing on a meal of everything you’ve missed this last month, as a big reward for your hard efforts!
  • I did larf at “happy to kelp!”

I am certain there is no need to wash hair as often as we all do, I don’t even find the smell of modern day shampoos all that appealing, and actually find washing my hair less keeps it HEALTHIER . Like you say Laura, it did no harm at all centuries ago when there was no alternative.

Not long to go now! Ooooh I’d miss tomatoes too, guess maybe market tomatoes would be an option as pretty sure they’d come loose. Bet you’re already focussing on a meal of everything you’ve missed this last month, as a big reward for your hard efforts!
  • Thanks @Bev ,I do love a good pun! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I completely agree on the shampoo front, but I'm sure there are those who would be horrified at the thought of washing their hair only once a month! It's all about finding a solution that works for you. My hair is definitely benefiting from using natural ingredients.

That's a great shout! The list of things I'm missing isn't actually tooo big, but you're right I'm looking forward to it. Having said that, I think I'll keep most of my newfound plastic free lifestyle choices. On the whole, it's better for me and the planet, so why not!

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	961.0 KB 
ID:	561

Are all types of plastic equally as bad as each other? Looking at instant coffee in a glass jar (but a plastic lid) versus instant coffee in individual sachets. A good halfway house before I look into committing to coffee grounds (which can be used to make face scrub (apparently!) or compost.
  • Thanks @Bev ,I do love a good pun! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I completely agree on the shampoo front, but I'm sure there are those who would be horrified at the thought of washing their hair only once a month! It's all about finding a solution that works for you. My hair is definitely benefiting from using natural ingredients.

That's a great shout! The list of things I'm missing isn't actually tooo big, but you're right I'm looking forward to it. Having said that, I think I'll keep most of my newfound plastic free lifestyle choices. On the whole, it's better for me and the planet, so why not!

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	961.0 KB 
ID:	561

Are all types of plastic equally as bad as each other? Looking at instant coffee in a glass jar (but a plastic lid) versus instant coffee in individual sachets. A good halfway house before I look into committing to coffee grounds (which can be used to make face scrub (apparently!) or compost.

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	670.2 KB 
ID:	565

I'm a cereal jar user now! I transport my breakfast, and occasionally lunch and snacks in jars. Not a solution for everything as they are breakable, but are cheap and easy. Plus it's easy to see what you store if you buy in bulk.

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	670.2 KB 
ID:	565

I'm a cereal jar user now! I transport my breakfast, and occasionally lunch and snacks in jars. Not a solution for everything as they are breakable, but are cheap and easy. Plus it's easy to see what you store if you buy in bulk.
  • Nice idea Laura, and it would add control to food intake too, as it’s sooooooo easy to constantly buy lots of snacks, especially for in the office, yet we’d eat nowhere near that amount of food between meals at weekends when home or when keeping busy. Once you take it with you, it’s an incentive to stick to what’s in your bag, without buying more. I’m so much more aware now of avoiding the coffee van or sandwich delivery man when they daily visit the office!
  • Nice idea Laura, and it would add control to food intake too, as it’s sooooooo easy to constantly buy lots of snacks, especially for in the office, yet we’d eat nowhere near that amount of food between meals at weekends when home or when keeping busy. Once you take it with you, it’s an incentive to stick to what’s in your bag, without buying more. I’m so much more aware now of avoiding the coffee van or sandwich delivery man when they daily visit the office!
  • Laura and Mark, you have far too much spare time on your hands !
  • Laura and Mark, you have far too much spare time on your hands !
  • I agree @Bev , it's cheaper and healthier! And useful to use when filling up at bulk stores

- - - Updated - - -
    @realist That's a very realistic view. Hope you found some of it useful - I try to use lots of pictures so it's quick reading!
  • I agree @Bev , it's cheaper and healthier! And useful to use when filling up at bulk stores

- - - Updated - - -
    @realist That's a very realistic view. Hope you found some of it useful - I try to use lots of pictures so it's quick reading!
  • Check out the latest Pure Planet blog on how long plastic takes to degrade.

If King Henry VIII had worn disposable nappies, they'd still be around today.

I've put together some historical comparisons with plastic degrade times to give you an idea of just how long it takes for plastic to become invisible to the naked eye (but it never really disappears!) in an easy to read timeline.

Check it out and let me know what you think! https://blog.purepla.net/plastic-now...t-19016e0eb687
  • Check out the latest Pure Planet blog on how long plastic takes to degrade.

If King Henry VIII had worn disposable nappies, they'd still be around today.

I've put together some historical comparisons with plastic degrade times to give you an idea of just how long it takes for plastic to become invisible to the naked eye (but it never really disappears!) in an easy to read timeline.

Check it out and let me know what you think! https://blog.purepla.net/plastic-now...t-19016e0eb687
  • Is your challenge over now, Laura? Hope you enjoyed it. You did fantastic! Whole month! Wow! Know you said you’ll continue to a degree, but think few nice treats as a reward are well deserved! Did great!
  • Is your challenge over now, Laura? Hope you enjoyed it. You did fantastic! Whole month! Wow! Know you said you’ll continue to a degree, but think few nice treats as a reward are well deserved! Did great!