Why doesn't PP send 'proper' emails instead of truly giant Graphics that I can't read in Outlook??

• 7 September 2020
  • 15 replies

PP sends emails formatted in giant graphic objects. Please please please get your programmers to reformat these in sizes that display correctly in a business email program, such as Microsoft Outlook. Each letter of PP's words is about 4 inches high. I haven't time to download each image, resize it and read it.

Every other business manages this ok (including mine), well, so can PP.

Please?

Otherwise, the interfaces are good!

Regards, Chris

15 replies

PP sends emails formatted in giant graphic objects. Please please please get your programmers to reformat these in sizes that display correctly in a business email program, such as Microsoft Outlook. Each letter of PP's words is about 4 inches high. I haven't time to download each image, resize it and read it.

Every other business manages this ok (including mine), well, so can PP.

Please?

Otherwise, the interfaces are good!

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris.

Welcome to the community.

This is my view of Pure Planet emails in Outlook on a Windows 10 PC, with a 24” Monitor - if anything, I’d argue it’s a bit small.

Presumably you are using something other than Outlook?

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

@Corners, perhaps posting a screenshot will help us understand your issue. The emails look ok to me too (on various Apple devices).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Corners 

what happens if you choose view on web?

Well, I’ve actually used the Outlook in my Office 365 pack, rather than the online version, and on a 24” 1080p monitor, the largest text (932,195) is 4cm in this email:

Genuinely, I’m lost, I don’t know what more I can do to help, I guess we’ll have to hope @Marc or @Nataly are able to help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I haven't come across this issue before.

Hello @Corners 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for getting stuck in. :thumbsup:

(FYI I’ve moved your post to our ‘feedback’ section, as it fits there a bit more than the ideas board).

I’m flagging this with our marketing team. It would be really useful to know what device you’re using - I’m assumung it’s a PC laptop running Windows 10? 

Badge

Hi Chris, 

Sorry,  I cant help you with this. 

My PP newsletter looks perfectly sized on my mobole phone and very easy to read.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy. 

Hope that's a tiny bit helpful 🙏👍

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

The problem I’m mentioning is that Pure Planet formats its emails 1200 pixels wide. Many email viewers are happiest with about 650 pixels max.

If you have an email viewer that automatically resizes big images such as photos, then you probably won’t even notice. However, on home and business desktops and laptops Pure Planet’s emails can appear weird.

Look at this screenshot from a Dell 1920 x 1200 desktop monitor - the blue square is a meter reading reminder email from PP.

The other two emails are ‘normal’ emails, in this case from Heathrow Airport and Samsung Business, which are formatted like the rest of the 45,000 emails in my inbox folders, 100% of which are readable. PP is the odd man out.

The big PP blue image uses 1.2MB of RAM to display. Shrinking the email graphics to 650 pixels wide drops the computer RAM demand to 0.36MB. And Pure Planets’ meter reading notification contains 3 or 4 of these big images.

Thanks for listening!

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

"However, on home and business desktops and laptops Pure Planet’s emails can appear weird."

This is an interesting statement. Pure Planet has well over 100,000 customers, and I can't recall anyone raising this as an issue before.

Are you saying it happens with you on more than one device? Are these devices all running Outlook on Windows 10? Do the emails look 'weird' when viewed on the server, or only when downloaded?

It will be fascinating to see what the tech guys suggest is the problem. 

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Corners 

we’ll have to work out the extra greenhouse gas emissions due to processing the unnecessary excess data..

I agree the images are  large but it’s never really bothered me. I always though it was intentional!

I never load the images so never see an issue. My emails are styled to be 750px wide (without any images loaded).

Interesting though, I look forward to how this issue pans out as you help us explore further.

Thanks for the extra info @Corners :slight_smile: That’s really useful.

I’ve forwarded all of that on to our marketing guys to look into. 

Now, going out on a limb here, and this is obviously, not any ‘official Pure Planet’ solution.

Have you considered replacing Windows Live Essentials with a program that’s not between 8 and 11 years old? - I know you call it ‘Outlook’ but those ribbons aren’t the current version of Outlook.

There are reasons Windows Live stopped working properly with Outlook after May 2016.

OK, good point. So I switched to a newer version of Live Mail and also tried Microsoft Office Outlook, with similar results.

Out of about 130,000 emails in my various Inboxes, only Pure Planet’s emails display wrongly, showing vast images. All the other 129,980 emails are OK.

Might that be a clue that PP’s embedded display code is - well - “the only one in step”?

(Sorry to any millennials reading this, that’s an old joke about soldiers on a parade ground, with 999 marching left-right and one marching right-left. Technically speaking, they are all matching ‘correctly’...)

I do acknowledge that Pure Planet’s emails display well in Gmail on Android and in a browser rendition in Microsoft’s outlook.com webmail site, but I don’t use those on my business screens.

There are probably many millions of email readers still in use that would receive illegible communications from Pure Planet. All other companies appear to send compatible, regression-tested email coding except PP.

Cheers, Chris

Pure Planet mailshot in newer Live Mail

Pure Planet mailshot in Microsoft Office Outlook

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I too think the graphics are unnecessarily large, but not rendered unusable just irritating unless you’re visually challenged (not ageist, but accessibility).

( @Corners  I understand this is a different issue)

There is also the current trend by many to declutter pages with lots of empty space. I prefer some clutter, it matches my disorganised life….