very light user interface of the app

Very poor user interface. FONTS ARE VERY LIGHT. Light grey font on light grey background. Fundamentals of user interface design Te violated. On thie “send a meter reading” page. I can barely see the past reading. It’s so tiny and so light. And I cannot even pinch and zoom.  It’s so important to see the past reading while entering a new reading. 

can the app developers please do something about this

violates basic accessibility guidelines

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Tapan 

Very good point, perhaps the developers are hipsters. (aka style over substance)
(that was a grossly unfair comment, sorry developers)

What device are you using?

Contrast has been mentioned quite a few times in various posts over the years (both for the community and for the app)

I’m sure your comments will be noted, but just to throw a slight spanner in the works your device will have a higher contrast mode to aid accessibility, but of course that doesn’t give the developers carte-blanche  to design low contrast even if the global view is prettier if they do.

Hi,

1. I gave this feedback one year ago also on the iphone app review page but no action was taken
  2. The contrast of all other apps on my iPhone 10 is perfect. Only PurePlanet suffers. Actually its not about contrast - the app uses a very very light grey font.
  3. Most other apps on my phone allow me to expand the screen / zoom into the screen by pinching and spreading my fingers. Not so on purePlanet.

I wish the poor plant developers did something about this.

Its a simple change.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Fascinating! I'll confess if you had asked me, I would have said it was black on white...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Fascinating! I'll confess if you had asked me, I would have said it was black on white...

I blame metamerism, (and lack of plant food)

I’ve posted detailed Suggestions on this previously https://community.purepla.net/testing-and-feedback-23/new-community-platform-background-image-and-colours-9735?postid=51783#post51783

The key is to respect the users device preference. If they like big text, give them that. Same for contrast, bold, movement. It’s not, to use a community segregation phrase, rocket science!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’ve posted detailed Suggestions on this previously https://community.purepla.net/testing-and-feedback-23/new-community-platform-background-image-and-colours-9735?postid=51783#post51783

The key is to respect the users device preference. If they like big text, give them that. Same for contrast, bold, movement. It’s not, to use a community segregation phrase, rocket science!

@25 quid with respect (you always know something contentious is coming along when it starts with those words) I think you’ve really missed the point here.

If the majority of apps or websites on the user device display with adequate contrast and clarity the user should not be forced to change preferences for the odd app or website that doesn’t.

Haha, equally respectfully, I disagree @woz. Many people have perfect eyesight and are happy reading small or faint writing Artistic designers love. Others are not so lucky and may have availed themselves of the settings on their device (e.g. giant font size) to make things suit their preference.

By default, apps and websites don’t adapt to a users device preferences. my point is that The young geeks at PP Should apply a little extra thought, care and code to go the extra mile to respect users’ choices.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Haha, equally respectfully, I disagree @woz. Many people have perfect eyesight and are happy reading small or faint writing Artistic designers love. Others are not so lucky and may have availed themselves of the settings on their device (e.g. giant font size) to make things suit their preference.

By default, apps and websites don’t adapt to a users device preferences. my point is that The young geeks at PP Should apply a little extra thought, care and code to go the extra mile to respect users’ choices.

Agreed, (respectfully).

Hi @Tapan 

Welcome to the community! Nice one for the feedback and for getting stuck in.

It’s started a really interesting discussion. :relaxed: Would love to hear if people have examples of apps which they think make good design choices and meet accessibility expectations.

Another design problem with the “Send a meter reading” page is that when you bring up a keyboard on the smartphone screen to enter the number, it obscures the “Next” button, so that you have to scroll up the top half of the screen before you can send it.  Could you redesign the page so that the meter reading and the “next” button are both visible on the top half of the screen?

Plus the devs could pre-focus on the input field so the keyboard pops up magically. I’ve seen people struggle to get the keyboard to appear. (It does seem to take a couple of taps most times).

Please see the above image and the one below. The image is magnified, but on the phone, the text below the box in light grey, is just not visible….

Please, can the developers, use an iphone 10 and try to go into a garage or deep inside a cabinet under a staircase, and try to take a reading !!!

Its impossible to see the previous reading

Can you please make it BLACK in color and the same SIZE as the text in the text box.

I have reading glasses with POWER 1.5  but even when I did not have them, it was difficult to read…

Its a simple request from a USER  ...from a CUSTOMER….   please do it