Usage

• 13 January 2020
  • 17 replies

Hi, just a suggestion.

I would like to be able to compare my elec/gas usage year on year, and also by the same month for the year before.

e.g. 2019 vs 2020 usage.

​​​​​​​And Dec/Jan 2019 vs Dec/Jan 2020.

When I look back over the last year's usage it unfortunately cuts off just at the point I would like to see, namely how much gas/elec I used this time last year.

I would love it if u could make usage statistics go back as far as my sign up date.

That's my feedback and request.

Thank you.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Eco
​​​​​​​I agree, I never noticed it only goes back a year (I use a spreadsheet so never checked it) but just to say your reading history will show from the start so if you're handy with a calculator you do have the numbers.
Eco life;46197:
Hi, just a suggestion.

I would like to be able to compare my elec/gas usage year on year, and also by the same month for the year before.

e.g. 2019 vs 2020 usage.

When I look back over the last year's usage it unfortunately cuts off just at the point I would like to see, namely how much gas/elec I used this time last year.

I would love it if u could make usage statistics go back as far as my sign up date.

Thank you.
Eco life;46197:
Hi, just a suggestion.

e.g. 2019 vs 2020 usage.

Thank you.

Hi Eco Life,

My usage figures do go back to my joining date.... I've been with PP from 30 Oct 2018

​​​​​​​When did you join?? 🤔
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
my "usage" figures don't, they only go back a year, but the meter readings go back to the start.
woz;46203:
my "usage" figures don't, they only go back a year, but the meter readings go back to the start.

Agreed woz,

The "usage figures" used for the "useless" graph do only go back 12 months.......So @Eco life to get the "full range" of "usage figures" for the account.....then you can get these figures from the "meter reading history" .....exactly as woz said 👍👌

That was what I meant to convey in my response......."calculator good" ....."spreadsheet better" 👌🖖🙌😎
Hi woz and Gray

Thanks for your thoughts.

I see the reading history and I do look at the numbers to see how much I used, but the usage feature just conveniently gives u the total monthly spend, so I like to keep an eye on it, and, out of curiosity, I like to see how much heating and electricity we used each month, it indicates to me things like there's been too much screen time, or it's been a milder winter so far this year etc.

I just like to know and particularly I would like to compare this time last year in that format, so I hope someone at pure planet thinks this is a good idea and can make it happen!

All the best

Eco
Hey Eco life,

Is this the sort of thing........obviously not available from PP.....
But it's the sort of thing thing you can produce with a spreadsheet.....if your techy/geeky enough.

I don't think PP will ever provide this level of detail......but you can.....
The individual costs/usage figures can be "seen" by hovering the cursor over the individual points in the graph 👍🖖👌
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi eco
​​​​​​​If it's any consolation a number of us have suggested improvements to the rather poor implementation of usage that PP offer- we live in hope...
Eco life;46282:
Hi woz and Gray

Thanks for your thoughts.

I see the reading history and I do look at the numbers to see how much I used, but the usage feature just conveniently gives u the total monthly spend, so I like to keep an eye on it, and, out of curiosity, I like to see how much heating and electricity we used each month, it indicates to me things like there's been too much screen time, or it's been a milder winter so far this year etc.

I just like to know and particularly I would like to compare this time last year in that format, so I hope someone at pure planet thinks this is a good idea and can make it happen!

All the best

Eco
Eco life;46197:
Hi, just a suggestion.

e.g. 2019 vs 2020 usage.

Thank you.

Hi @Eco life
Welcome to the community!
Fantastic username. 🙌

Thank you for this feedback.
We hear you!
A few other Members have raised the same - the ability to see year-on-year usage at a glance.
Our tech team are working on.

Any other ideas or feedback you have, please do post about them. It's always great to get these. 👍
Hi Gray

yes, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about, and no I suppose I could make a chart but I'd rather it was just there in the app.

Hi woz, yep, we live in hope!

Hi Marc

glad to hear the tech team are on to the annual comparison.

you said if I have any more feedback to let u know, so I'll just list the original request more specifically.

1. Re. the "usage" section at the top which shows monthly consumption in kWh and ££.

I would like if these figures went back to when I opened my account. At the moment they only go back 12 months, which means when I get my Dec/Jan numbers, last year's Dec/Jan numbers disappear and I can't compare the two. I would like to be able to compare any month with "this time last year".

2. Just an annual total each year 1/1/2019 - 31/12/2019.
totals for kWh and ££.
one for gas, one for elec and one for both.
kept as a record in the app, with each subsequent year added.

3. A bar chart showing monthly use.
along bottom axis, each month e.g. Jan, Feb, etc.
up the y axis ££ and kWh, with the ability to switch the view between the two.

the ability to overlay previous years in order to see month by month comparisons and trends.

I think that's all of my wish list.
if it's any help, it's similar to what npower have in their app.

Just putting my ideas out there, hopefully something like this can be put in place if it's not too much trouble.

ciao for now

Eco
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Eco life,
that looks great, but I would point out that any £ totals over a period of time would become skewed due to price changes, although the kWh totals would remain a constant
​​​​​​(except for gas with a slightly variable calorific value)
Thanks for the extra feedback and suggestions @Eco life 😍

I would like if these figures went back to when I opened my account. At the moment they only go back 12 months, which means when I get my Dec/Jan numbers, last year's Dec/Jan numbers disappear and I can't compare the two. I would like to be able to compare any month with "this time last year"

Yep 👍

An annual total each year 1/1/2019 - 31/12/2019.
totals for kWh and ££.
one for gas, one for elec and one for both.
kept as a record in the app, with each subsequent year added.

I'll pass this one on. As @Duppy has spotted ☝️ changes in rates would make this more challenging!
​​​​​​​

A bar chart showing monthly use.
along bottom axis, each month e.g. Jan, Feb, etc.
up the y axis ££ and kWh, with the ability to switch the view between the two.

We already have this. In the app, go to Menu > Usage > Tap on 'Compare usage +' button and you can toggle between elec, gas, or both (if applicable).
Is that what you meant?
Hi Duppy

Thanks for that, thats why I would like both ££ and kWh - so I can see how much I spent, but also how much we consumed, and compare by month and year.

Hi Marc

I've just had a look at the "Compare Usage +" graph.
yes it's similar to what I meant.
all the months along the bottom.
But there's no numbers up the y axis, so it doesnt indicate the number of kWh's.
It would be good if u could also get the graph to have an option to overlay previous years consumption aswell.
in fact that and the "swipe usage with kWh and ££" thing going back to start of membership and I would be very happy!

cheers!

Eco
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
it doesn't solve the over 1 year issue but...£/kWh is, as mentioned, already there
​​​​​​​
Eco life;46456:
Hi Duppy

Thanks for that, thats why I would like both ££ and kWh - so I can see how much I spent, but also how much we consumed, and compare by month and year.

Hi Marc

I've just had a look at the "Compare Usage +" graph.
yes it's similar to what I meant.
all the months along the bottom.
But there's no numbers up the y axis, so it doesnt indicate the number of kWh's.
It would be good if u could also get the graph to have an option to overlay previous years consumption aswell.
in fact that and the "swipe usage with kWh and ££" thing going back to start of membership and I would be very happy!

cheers!

Eco
Hi woz

yes I see the kWh/££ thingy there and I absolutely love it (very anoraky I know! 😂)

I was just asking if they could do an annual total in kWh and ££.
e.g.

" 2019 Usage:
Gas 3000 kWh, Cost £400
Elec 15000 kWh, Cost £600

2018 Usage:
Gas 3500 kWh, Cost £xxx..."

​​​​​​​
Totally agree. I just looked for this too. Also the compare usage graph isn’t showing the latest figures for the bill received today.

I see there are a number of posts about the usefulness of the combined usage graph and the scaling. My preference would be to have separate graphs but overlaid with last year’s usage in a different colour.

PP have been saying it's something that they are working on for quite some time now. I'm not sure it's much of a priority.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

The combined graph/scaling is almost useless as it stands.