Upgrade notice in App

I see I have to upgrade before I can use the App again. Your choice, fair enough.

However this screen has two buttons. Neither do anything, so what’s the point of having them? Same on iPhone and iPad. I’d have thought one would take me to the App store, but what might have changed that makes checking again worthwhile?

​​​​​​​
Also to bang the accessibility drum again 😈, you could cooperate and make the second button say:

or check again

​​​​​​​Without the ambiguous “tap here” link.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi there

I may be dim, but I don't understand this entirely...

I tapped the update now button, it took me to the Play store, I tapped for the update, no problem.

​​​​​​So one button worked for me...
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Stephen
me may be dim too...
no buttons worked for me- I was stuck in the update loop.

I raised this a long long time ago (the stuck in a loop part not the tap here part) and it's back, I can't understand why it behaves in this way; once stuck in the "there's an update" loop you're stuck if the update isn't yet available, (it wasn't for me yesterday) you simply can't get back into the existing app.
I thought this had been fixed?

re your comment (Stephen) it would make sense if the tap here to check again said tap here to check again in 12 hours...
as it stands I can't see why it needs the check again unless the top button updates no questions asked and check again gives you the option to say don't update.
Alternatively...
May I make a suggestion?

The screen should simply say Update (button)
With a note under saying the following
"If the update is not yet available for you please try again tomorrow. If you need access to to your account now please log in at purepla.net with those last words as a link
Problem solved... @Marc
feel free to move this to the grump section, oops I meant feedback...
As stated in the update thread itself, Woz wasn't the only one unable to update using the screen, @Bev, @Strutt G, and I, all had the issue with the buttons failing to launch the update.
Thanks for the feedback guys
It looks like the update worked fine for Android, but not for Apple.
I know our tech team are aware, but I'm sharing this thread with them.
Yesterday there was talk that something might have changed in iOS13 causing this to happen. Although plenty of iPhone users did get the update straight away.
It's a head-scratcher, for sure.
I know I might become known for over-egging but, I wasn’t focusing on if the update worked or not. I was reflecting on why have such a complicated set of (inaccessible) choices...

Less is more

P.S. You could also get rid of the passive voice and own up to the change in an active voice (See title change). #passivevoicebandit
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
#passiveagressive
(I didn't check if it exists but no doubt it does....)
Disclaimer: I don't do hashtags, they have no moral authority.
25 quid;52805:
I know I might become known for over-egging but, I wasn’t focusing on if the update worked or not. I was reflecting on why have such a complicated set of (inaccessible) choices...

Less is more

P.S. You could also get rid of the passive voice and own up to the change in an active voice (See title change). #passivevoicebandit

Tha
Hey @25 quid

A development on this - we plan on tweaking this screen to remove the 'tap here to check again' - you made a good point and we totally agree 🙂.

Instead, there'll be a short but sweet explanation about going to the app store directly, if 'update now' doesn't work. 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
This was supposed to have been fixed a long time ago, I know this because I commented/complained.

isn't the issue here that the failure to complete the update process should allow the customer to continue using the existing app until it is available
I don't understand why it's become so convoluted.

It's simple, if there is an update available

2 buttons
button 1. Continue to app
button 2. Update now (sends you to app store)
and disclaimer below "The update may not be available to all at the same time, if it is not available to you please try again tomorrow."
Nataly;54783:
Hey @25 quid

A development on this - we plan on tweaking this screen to remove the 'tap here to check again' - you made a good point and we totally agree 🙂.

Instead, there'll be a short but sweet explanation about going to the app store directly, if 'update now' doesn't work. 👍
Hey @woz

Often when we release an app update, Members can continue to use the *old* app as normal, until they update.

Sometimes updates contain key new functionality that isn't in the old app, or mean something in the old app will stop working.

In those cases, after a certain period of time (a minimum of 2 days) we 'force' the update, meaning the above screen is displayed. We only do this if necessary due to functionality changes.

'Update now' should then take people to the relevant app store to manually download the update, so it seems sensible to explain that rather than have a 'tap to refresh' option. We think!
As well as the disclaimer that it doesn't reach everyone at the same time 👍

At the moment we'd be unable to have Members using multiple different versions of the app - as we grow and develop that's something we'd look to introduce!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thanks nat, yes I wondered about that, I suppose the answer is to make sure the updates don't cripple any part of the previous app, maybe that isn't always possible.
A customer should never be put in the situation where the both can't update and can't use the app (as has happened).
So I think we agree...
Nataly;54788:
Hey @woz

Often when we release an app update, Members can continue to use the *old* app as normal, until they update.

Sometimes updates contain key new functionality that isn't in the old app, or mean something in the old app will stop working.

In those cases, after a certain period of time (a minimum of 2 days) we 'force' the update, meaning the above screen is displayed. We only do this if necessary due to functionality changes.

'Update now' should then take people to the relevant app store to manually download the update, so it seems sensible to explain that rather than have a 'tap to refresh' option. We think!
As well as the disclaimer that it doesn't reach everyone at the same time 👍

At the moment we'd be unable to have Members using multiple different versions of the app - as we grow and develop that's something we'd look to introduce!

Still an issue...

Hi all @25 quid @stephenrand 

We’ve just pushed out an app update with some bug fixes and minor improvements, including the screen for the app updates.

A bit more info here

(It’s version 8.10.3 btw) :relaxed: