Signal to noise ratio

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 8961 replies

I’m starting to think we need 2 communities, one for people who are having problems with their IHDs and the other for everything else.

33 replies

Three communities. One for the frustrations of Which Bottom. Sorry Wattbot!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣”which bottom” 

As long as they’re all as fun as this one 👍👍👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏💕

@bev I have just looked for a bottom emoji! Can’t find one!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

There was a big social media debate about it if I recall correctly Rich, not that I do any of that but, when the new emojis all came out a while ago, as to whether it was a bum bum, a tongue, or a peach 👅🍑. I’d say tongue 👅and peach 🍑, but still use 👅as a bum 😂😂😂😂

@Bev i do like it that you bend over backwards to provide such help! No doubt I will be censored!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hahaha “bend over backwards” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Love it! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Serves me right for posting this in the first place. 

Serves me right for posting this in the first place. 

Looked at seriously it does not for it highlights the main areas of concern that keep cropping up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@G4RHL 

haha yes...I’m not quite sure how we went from my point to bottom :peach: emojis… but yes there was a serious point to be made...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Putting talk of bottoms and emojis to one side, I thought that the post a question box produced similar posts about the subject line, to prevent repetition. I've tried it and it seems to work for me,,so are they being ignored?

Thanks for this feedback all! Erm, bottoms aside, yes there’s good points being made here.

Not sure I could handle a second community…. I think that would push me over the edge.:laughing:

But we can have a think about how we make our smart meters info more prominent.

As well as the suggested posts feature @Duppy pointed out, we’ve a lot of FAQs about smart which we can probably make more of. 

Putting on my thinking hat :thinking:

Hello.

Yours truly and @Nataly are now drafting a new article all about smart meters. 

We’ll call it something like “Smart meters with Pure Planet - start here” and pin it to the very top of the smart meters section.

We’ll use it a summary of all our latest smart meter news, and then link to all the FAQs.

It’ll come up highly in search.

We’re thinking we ought to include info/links about: Getting a smart meter, not wanting a smart meter, switching to PP with a smart meter, troubleshooting a smart meter.

Sound OK @woz @Duppy @G4RHL @Bev and have I missed anything?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m starting to think we need 2 communities, one for people who are having problems with their IHDs and the other for everything else.

Not being sarcastic what so ever...but I thought and said the same thing over 12 months ago. It is what it is!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Marc 

Back to the original point - the clear frustration and gap between expectations of what a SM install promises and what it delivers with respect to the IHD and whether it works…

There are so many “angry” posts from people who have has installs (and some who have switched) so clearly whatever info there is about this isn’t making it to the eyes of those posters.

(Then again perhaps it’s just a case of modifying expectations…..)

ha! I’m not sure if you’ve missed anything!

@Strutt G sorry if I duplicated your post - my memory isn’t great

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc

I think one of the things that's required is a guide to reading non PP meters, and the present FAQ doesn't seem to cover them all

I know there are numerous different makes and some seem to have very different methods of reading them. I recently answered a question about reading a Honeywell meter and after an internet search found the method which is, in my view quite bizarre but different sources all say the same method .( I don't know if it worked as the OP hasn't responded since )

To have all the different types would take up a bit of time but to have it all in one place so that we can link to the post would be a great help ( to them and us )

@Marc

Back to the original point - the clear frustration and gap between expectations of what a SM install promises and what it delivers with respect to the IHD and whether it works…

There are so many “angry” posts from people who have has installs (and some who have switched) so clearly whatever info there is about this isn’t making it to the eyes of those posters.

(Then again perhaps it’s just a case of modifying expectations…..)

ha! I’m not sure if you’ve missed anything!

@Strutt G sorry if I duplicated your post - my memory isn’t great

Personally, I blame Smart Energy GB, they make the whole ‘Smart Meter’ thing sound so flaming wonderful without giving people any inkling that there are downsides, or various types of smart meter, their ‘Smart Meters explained’ page is just a load of propaganda.

Pure Planet - we aren’t risking installing Smart Meters if you’re disabled.

Smart Energy GB - here’s Ade Adepitan telling you how wonderful we are, and why you should have a smart meter.

It grinds my gears.

Where are people being warned not to bin their In Home Displays, or that they need to stay with the ‘dumb as a pile of rocks’ meter when they leave.

Where are the ‘this information we provide you with may mean absolutely nothing to you’ warnings?

Hello.

Yours truly and @Nataly are now drafting a new article all about smart meters. 

We’ll call it something like “Smart meters with Pure Planet - start here” and pin it to the very top of the smart meters section.

We’ll use it a summary of all our latest smart meter news, and then link to all the FAQs.

It’ll come up highly in search.

We’re thinking we ought to include info/links about: Getting a smart meter, not wanting a smart meter, switching to PP with a smart meter, troubleshooting a smart meter.

Sound OK @woz @Duppy @G4RHL @Bev and have I missed anything?

It should start with “What does a smart meter do?” and “What are the benefits in having one?”

The answer to the first question I suppose is “It takes and submits your meter readings for you.” The answer to the second is “It takes and submits your meter readings for you.”

That’s it. The rest is all about how it is installed, by whom etc. That is where problems occur.

The term “smart meter” does not of itself include the IHD. The two opening questions remain the same for an IHD. The answers are different. But to both questions it is “It shows you how much power you are using.”  Of course one can then elaborate by advising that a user could see what happens when the kettle is switched on etc.

There will be more value to having an IHD when more detailed monitoring and recording can be effected. No doubt in time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

And also, would @MrSmart may be able to think of things that regularly crop up? 🤷‍♀️

@Marc

I think one of the things that's required is a guide to reading non PP meters, and the present FAQ doesn't seem to cover them all

I know there are numerous different makes and some seem to have very different methods of reading them. I recently answered a question about reading a Honeywell meter and after an internet search found the method which is, in my view quite bizarre but different sources all say the same method .( I don't know if it worked as the OP hasn't responded since )

To have all the different types would take up a bit of time but to have it all in one place so that we can link to the post would be a great help ( to them and us )

Hi @Duppy 

Blimey. A guide for all smart meters? I see what you’re saying, but I’m not sure we’d want to do that. It starts to take us down the road of having to give ‘support’ for other energy suppliers’ set ups. It would be a hell of a task to write it up and keep it up to date and accurate.

Isn’t that what the internet and search is for? (that sounds a bit flippant, not meant to be, I just think it’s too big for us to do it properly here).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc

Hi @Duppy 

Blimey. A guide for all smart meters? I see what you’re saying, but I’m not sure we’d want to do that. It starts to take us down the road of having to give ‘support’ for other energy suppliers’ set ups. It would be a hell of a task to write it up and keep it up to date and accurate.

Isn’t that what the internet and search is for? (that sounds a bit flippant, not meant to be, I just think it’s too big for us to do it properly here).

I know what you are saying about the support for non PP meters, but by taking on the supplies you are also taking on the meter and any/all associated problems.

I understand the comment about the internet search facility, but the community seems to be the first port of call in a lot of instances, and we find the solution for them

Maybe it's something that Smart Energy GB should be involved in.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

And also, would @MrSmart may be able to think of things that regularly crop up? 🤷‍♀️

Good idea @Bev , I can certainly keep my eyes and ears open and suggest where I can. Most of my insight is for the suppliers themselves around the technicalities of actually using smart meters but I agree there is definitely a knowledge gap for consumers.

The first point that needs to be made in bold, capital letters is that the smart meter is NOT the IHD! ‘My smart meter isn’t working’ is nearly always ‘my IHD isn’t working’ but even the old SEGB ads don’t make that clear.

Not sure if I’m allowed to say much right now but SEGB is relaunching their campaign shortly to reignite the smart programme. Just searched YouTube and it’s there so I don’t think I’m breaking any rules!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That’s great Mr Smart - I’m sure Marc and Nat will value your input 👍👏

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

It should start with “What does a smart meter do?” and “What are the benefits in having one?”

The term “smart meter” does not of itself include the IHD. The two opening questions remain the same for an IHD. The answers are different. But to both questions it is “It shows you how much power you are using.”  Of course one can then elaborate by advising that a user could see what happens when the kettle is switched on etc.

There will be more value to having an IHD when more detailed monitoring and recording can be effected. No doubt in time.

So true, @G4RHL. I was gifted an electricity usage monitor (very easily installed) before I joined PP or had a smart meter, and that was its benefit (as well as telling me how much I was spending). You don’t need a smart meter to have an electricity consumption monitor. Gas consumption, that’s another story...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This may be a contentious read. Just some of my ambling thoughts.

@schase   Gas consumption, that’s another story…

Indeed it is another story; my contention is that the information provided to the consumer by having a gas smart meter and IHD readout is of zero extra value to the consumer. I’ve thinking about this for a while. The Macro picture is available from statements (think: my boiler is not efficient, I’m using xxxkWh a year (or for @25 quid KwH), I need to think about insulation/upgrading/ turning down the stat etc.

If it’s cold and you want the heating on 99.9% of people just aren’t going to read the ihd and say hey, my boiler is using £2.50 a day to run, I’d better turn it down and save 50p a day  or reduce the hours and put a sweater on so I can save £1.50p a day. It just isn’t going to happen that way. Human psychology dictates that.

The only function of a gas ihd readout is to  make the consumer more aware in general, but the bills do that with great effect.

It’s different for electricity, there are savings to be made which won’t break the bank; switch stuff off, buy energy efficient appliances, led lamps etc.

Disclaimer: I have an energy monitor on the electricity, It’s extremely useful, much more so than the sampled readout from an IHD (which I don’t have) would be.

An IHD on the gas would simply cause more arguments and wouldn’t give me any more information than the cheap digital thermometers I have in 2 rooms.

Smart meters are by and large being mis-sold to the public, the only benefit is avoiding having to read the meter, but people forget that it isn’t mandatory to read your meters and lots of people seem to manage their lives whilst never reading a meter. They get a bill and they pay it. There is zero gain to be made in terms of carbon footprint or energy efficiency by having a gas monitoring I.H. Device (or Display) as  you already have one, your meter and your bills.

The main beneficiaries of Smart Metering will be the generators distributors and energy companies. The consumers are last on the list apart from those with electric vehicles who may garner a significant competitive benefit.

The energy companies are having to pay the price in responsibility and reputational damage for what is effectively just another botched government infrastructure project.

Or am I being cynical?

oh... and have a read of THIS post

@woz  You are not being cynical. I reached this conclusion/these conclusions at day one.