Search facility

• 12 September 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 4287 replies

Just came across a bit of a problem with the search.

I am in the middle of slow cooking my Cashew Nut risotto, but done it different to my legendary recipe, with a slightly healthier twist. 

Just wanted to double check I’d already posted the original, as was sure I had, so didn’t want to duplicate, but thought photos of the healthier version a bit later, would suffice. 

Thought the search would be quick and easy, so went into the cookery thread, and typed in cashew nuts, and indeed it instantly knew my recipe was indeed in the thread, BUT it only took me to the beginning of the thread. 

Now as it’s now 15 pages long, I had to plough thru every page. I finally found it on page 7 so not too bad, but was hoping it’d take me straight to page 7 with the “ cashew nut” highlighted. 

9 replies

Ooh, I thought that, along with the fact you can’t search within threads, had been raised before?

Or did I just have a moan at someone in a direct message about it?

Sometimes, this place make vB3 appear well organised.​​​​​​

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I deffo searched within the cookery thread, Gwnd, so think that’s possible, but the results let it down, as had absolutely no idea where, within the 15 page thread, my required word appeared 🤷‍♀️😟

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I could try do a search to see if it’s been raised before….. 😂😂😂😂😂….. but I won’t 

Well, I just searched for ‘risotto’ in ‘Off-Topic’ and after a 'posts only’ series of results in ‘Off Topic’

I got results in ‘Testing and Feedback’ - the database appears to ignore attempts to narrow search results.

I suspect it may be something to with having ‘Posts/Replies’ rather than ‘Threads/Posts’ - but I would still hope the ability to see ‘individual replies’ would exist.

In some ways there’s a similarity with how Latest Posts doesn’t show latest posts 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’ve given up with the search facility, it seems to throw up everything other than what you’re searching for. I tried looking for “prices” hoping to find the latest tariff update, here are the two  hits, as you can see the tariff faq wasn’t included. Every other search I’ve tried looking for something I know is in a post has similarly failed.

To pre-empt the smarta***(alec) replies I’m going to get, I admit in advance I’m to blame, I’m not clever enough to think the search through for 5 mins before I type it in. I found it because I remembered dm posting myself the post url which contained a link to it.

I  think we’ve all become lazy because google is too good at mind reading most of the time..

Search is hard. But we were promised a great search experience in our new Insided play pen...

Thought the search would be quick and easy, so went into the cookery thread, and typed in cashew nuts, and indeed it instantly knew my recipe was indeed in the thread, BUT it only took me to the beginning of the thread. 

Now as it’s now 15 pages long, I had to plough thru every page. I finally found it on page 7 so not too bad, but was hoping it’d take me straight to page 7 with the “ cashew nut” highlighted. 

This is an interesting one @Bev 

I’m not sure what would need doing to the seach functionality for it to be able to take a community user to a specific post within a long thread. 15 pages is quite unusual! 

The way search ranks results here is:

• Exact match on title
  • Exact match on first post
  • Exact match on all posts
  • Match with word-distance on title (means that the keywords don’t have to follow each other in the same order)
  • Match with word-distance on first post
  • Match with word-distance on all posts

Which I think for 99% of people and their searches is probably the sensible way of doing it. The assumption is that something with the same title as the words you use in your search is the best result. Of course, once you look into the detail of the post, it may not be.

But, going back to your experience of needed to scroll through multiple pages in a thread, I’ll ask the tech team. 

Perhaps you can show the most pertinent post if it’s an all posts match?