Reason for leaving - relationship with BP

• 21 July 2021
  • 5 replies

Pure Planet’s relationship with BP is the reason I’m moving away.  I want to get my energy from a provider that is doing absolutely everything they can for the planet and not assisting one of the worst polluters of our planet, BP, in greenwashing their reputation.  BPs big pledge would still only account for 13% of their capital investment in renewables meaning they are spending over £50bn on their fossil fuels and non-renewables operations over this next 5 years.  BP is not a company to be involved with if you genuinely want to protect our planet.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi

Here's a recent thread which Bay interest you:

Sorry that you're leaving  .

@Miss Ann Thrope I am not convinced you are right. If you need to have natural gas where else are you going to get it from that is greener? BP don’t own Pure Planet but have a largish share holding and have funded it. There are only a few providers of gas. There is a multitude of energy suppliers selling to the public but they don’t provide the gas they buy it from those that do. There are very few of those. British Gas is one, BP another. The end suppliers buy the product from the likes of BP and BG and others. Whoever you go to will have a “relationship”, a very big relationship, with a company that is a fossil fuel based provider. I don’t know of another supplier at present like PP where it is doing its best to be as green as possible.

Well @Miss Ann Thrope, the decision is obviously yours to make, and you’ve decided to make it.

Much as I can see the reasoning, I often wonder when people raise the ‘BP link’ - how exactly do they expect BP to move out of fossil fuels if they then  refuse to use their ‘greenwashing’ (your term not mine) projects?

What are you expecting, BP et al suddenly all stop all ‘dirty’ projects and become ‘green’ overnight?

That’s a bit of a catch-22 for all ‘fossil-fuel’ suppliers I suspect.

Now me, the way I see it, I almost have a ‘duty’ to be here, because if you want to ‘change the world’ you need to convince the polluters there’s a profit to be made in ‘green energy’ - not that any energy production’s truly ‘green’ - it doesn’t get to your house via thin air, and the National Grid’s not 100% green, regardless of which ‘green energy’ company you buy from.

I’d agree if BP were spending more in investing in green tech (not just 13%) rather than partnering with Russian firms with a history of drilling in the Arctic.  They could have been at the forefront of green energy decades ago and instead they’re lagging behind and spending more in cleaning their reputation e.g sponsoring climate exhibitions at museums.  As the old adage goes ‘actions speak louder than words’. There’s no point rebranding as Beyond Petroleum unless they actually take that step. 

The great thing is we can choose our suppliers and where they source their energy and how they conduct their business. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Pure Planet’s relationship with BP is the reason I’m moving away.  I want to get my energy from a provider that is doing absolutely everything they can for the planet and not assisting one of the worst polluters of our planet, BP, in greenwashing their reputation.  BPs big pledge would still only account for 13% of their capital investment in renewables meaning they are spending over £50bn on their fossil fuels and non-renewables operations over this next 5 years.  BP is not a company to be involved with if you genuinely want to protect our planet.

Good morning @Miss Ann Thrope 

Out of curiosity who are you moving to?

Cheers