New Pure Planet Community platform - levels become ranks

• Community Manager
  • 7634 replies
Hi everyone

Just wanted to post an update on progress so far with our move to a new Pure Planet Community platform.

In the next couple of months we’ll be moving to a new home which will bring us a load of improvements - including easier photos uploading, a better all-round mobile experience, a more intuitive text editor, upvoting in the ideas section, a community blog, improved search (with results appearing as you type), and a more flexible FAQs section.

We’ve had some great feedback from members on the new community’s colours background images, and also which badges you want to take with us.

The new platform, as you can see from this screengrab of work-in-progress below, is going to look quite similar to our current community. Which means we’ll be able to find our way around easily enough.

But it’s not going to be an exact like-for-like.

One thing we won’t have is user levels. These indicate how many contributions you’ve made, how many times you’ve received a ‘like’, or received a best answer. You start at level one, and it goes into the 100s, which is way, way too many.

On the new platform, we’ll be using ranks. Same sort of thing, different name. We’re going to reduce the number of ranks to about a dozen. Typically, when you join, you’ll get the ‘Newbie’ rank. Then after a few interactions, you’ll move up.

So what we’d like to do is get some ideas from community members as to what the rank titles should be. For example, a starting rank could be ‘Newbie’, a middling rank ‘Star’, a higher rank ‘Genius’ and so on. Ideally we’ll use names which also reflect renewable energy, too, just to make it more interesting!

😁

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Will ranks be mandatory? (in other words will users be able to choose not to be ranked?)

​​​​​​​I'd also like to see a current issues/status banner apppear at the top WHEN NECESSARY with the most up-to-date status
Example: Some customers may not be able to submit readings, or we have server issues this will be fixed shortly we are crawling all over this..

and a warning banner for when something affecting all members is going to imminently change
for example
Reminder: your billing date may change on 1st march: Read more here
Reminder The clocks go back on xxth October

​​​​​​​Feel free to migrate this to the ideas board (in retaliation for all my posts that you moved to the feedback section)
woz;52495:
Will ranks be mandatory? (in other words will users be able to choose not to be ranked?)

Hey @woz
Yes they are. And they're great for encouraging people to get involved. I suppose the word 'rank' isn't great. It feels a bit military?!
That's OK, we won't actually use the word 'rank' anywhere.
Yeah, now I’ve written them down, I can’t see any natural order or meaningful progression:

• tree-hugger
  • environmentalist
  • renewable
  • solar
  • wind
  • tidal
  • hydro
  • biomass
  • geothermal
  • megawatt
  • gigawatt
  • battery
  • joule

Can we vote for what rank to make wozzer? 😈
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
pity, I'd choose to opt out. I think they can have a negative effect too.
Marc;52497:
Hey @woz
Yes they are. And they're great for encouraging people to get involved. I suppose the word 'rank' isn't great. It feels a bit military?!
That's OK, we won't actually use the word 'rank' anywhere.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
25 quid;52500:
Yeah, now I’ve written them down, I can’t see any natural order or meaningful progression:

• tree-hugger
  • environmentalist
  • renewable
  • solar
  • wind
  • tidal
  • hydro
  • biomass
  • geothermal
  • megawatt
  • gigawatt
  • battery
  • joule

I don't like tree-hugger because it's used pejoratively how about tree-lover?
Terawatt
Petawatt
Exawatt
could come after gigawatt
battery and joule make no sense but you could have joule saver somewhere...
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
NO
25 quid;52500:

​​​​​​​Can we vote for what rank to make wozzer? 😈
25 quid;52500:

Now there's a thought @25 quid 😂

Only joking @woz
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I may recant if you can guarantee a double entendre in the “rank”
hmmm and on that note here’s a good one

fully charged
​​​​​​​
(I was going to suggest vice planeteer (bribery and corruption dept.)but that’s maybe a step too far...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ranks are fine, but if using energy themes again, it just replaces levels, and everyone fast became bored of those as too similar. Just my opinion. Think they become a bit meaningless if themed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
well that's a bit of a kick in the Ganges then...
Bev;52519:
Ranks are fine, but if using energy themes again, it just replaces levels, and everyone fast became bored of those as too similar. Just my opinion. Think they become a bit meaningless if themed.
Meanwhile, back at the screenshot @Marc...

I’m glad to see that the top text navigation, which I find is currently confusing, has gone. It’s now looks clearer which groups of links go to FAQs and which go to forums. I’m frustrated every time I want to look up a smart meter FAQ (for some noob question) and am suckered into that top right Smart Meter link.

Mind you, that’s me assuming that Community Guide is actually an existing forum. But on reflection perhaps it isn’t. What is a community guide? Hopefully the search in the new system will actually prefer showing useful guides and FAQs rather than tangential mentions in a random post.

Happy Sunday
25 quid;52500:

Half-Baked?

​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thank you for the vote of confidence but I'll have you know that the last time I checked I was fully baked!
Gwyndy;52575:
Half-Baked?

​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
​​​​​​​
Bev;52519:

Hey @Bev
That's really great feedback. And I think you've made a really good point. We're probably over-complicating things by making them energy-related.
We could (should?) stick to simpler-to-understand ranks.
Newbie, starter, helper, brainy, inspiring, genius, super-genius... that sort of thing.
25 quid;52560:
Meanwhile, back at the screenshot @Marc...

I’m glad to see that the top text navigation, which I find is currently confusing, has gone. It’s now looks clearer which groups of links go to FAQs and which go to forums. I’m frustrated every time I want to look up a smart meter FAQ (for some noob question) and am suckered into that top right Smart Meter link.

Mind you, that’s me assuming that Community Guide is actually an existing forum. But on reflection perhaps it isn’t. What is a community guide? Hopefully the search in the new system will actually prefer showing useful guides and FAQs rather than tangential mentions in a random post.

Happy Sunday

Hey @25 quid
Yep, we're able to make the FAQs much more prominent on the homepage. They also appear in the menu.
Search is miles better. It suggests results as you type.

The 'community guide' bit is a label we've applied to the tiles. These change depending on what type of post we're linking to.
See here:

It could also be 'News and updates' or a specific topic such as 'Smart meters'.
These coloured tiles will change regularly, depending on that we need to promote.
Same with the thin, pink banner running across the top. This we'll use sparingly for really urgent info. (so not for the example shown in the screenshot!)
Hi Marc

instead of 'Newbie,' you could have 'Just Browsing' to reflect the lack of posts?

Just a thought (I am known to have them occasionally.)

​​​​​​​Mark
OK @Marc, however I still see potential ambiguity between Smart Meters, All about Smart Meters and FAQ, Meters and Readings. Is the heading Smart Meters a shortcut to a section of the Meters and Readings FAQ? Perhaps Smart Meters deserves it’s own FAQ? If it is itself within Meters and Readings then shouldn’t the button read Meters and Readings, All about Smart Meters? I’m not suggesting what arrangement you go for as long as it’s clear where to go for answers (or discussion).

I’ve tied myself into knots describing this. It's hard to appreciate what you plan without seeing your whole hierarchy. Give people clues to the structure to help them navigate. Be consistent. Good luck making it plain.
Here we go then @Bev and @woz and @Gwyndy and all
This is the placeholder list of ranks.... of course can be changed, but it's a start.
Also, @Nataly and I will secretly decide how each rank is achieved. Which will remain super secret mwah-ha-harrrrr 👿

Newcomer
Casual
Regular
Inquisitive
Chatty
Helper
Rockstar
Pioneer
Superstar
Authority
Expert

What do you think? (hastily puts tin hat on 🤣)
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Like it a lot, Marc 👏👏👏👏👏👏👍👍👍👍👍👍👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hmmm...
I don't like pioneer -it doesn't fit the sequence (unless it's for you) or rockstar (it's not a word it's 2 words?)
As a starter if you are going down this route can I throw in "browsing" which changes to newcomer (but I prefer rookie) on first post, also maven, distinguished and rocket-scientist to be considered.
I'll be back...
Marc;52616:
This is the placeholder list of ranks.... of course can be changed, but it's a start.
Also, @Nataly and I will secretly decide how each rank is achieved. Which will remain super secret mwah-ha-harrrrr 👿

Newcomer
Casual
Regular
Inquisitive
Chatty
Helper
Rockstar
Pioneer
Superstar
Authority
Expert

Are the initial letters an anagram? Prancers nearly...
woz;52618:
maven, distinguished and rocket-scientist to be considered.

Distinguished. Does that mean old? 🤣🤣🤣
Also, what does maven mean? I could look it up, I suppose....
Well I was planning to say nowt, but as someone's already raised it:

'Pioneer' between 'Rockstar' and 'Superstar' - why? 'Musical Pioneer'? or are you just boasting about your decks?

'Authority' and 'Expert' mean similar things - although you can have 'authority' without being an 'expert' - any particular reason for having both?

Oh, and 'Maven' basically means 'Authority' or 'Expert'.

Starting to wonder whether I should have suggested biscuits for the rankings, working down from Abbey Crunch now - but let's face it, we'd have never agreed where to put the Ginger Nuts, and as for 'Jaffa Cakes' - well, do they count as a biscuit?

Marc;52616:

Newcomer
Casual
Regular
Inquisitive
Chatty
Helper
Rockstar
Pioneer
Superstar
Authority
Expert

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
oh dear.....
this isn't going to go well if I reply with text....(precipitously hovering over rant button...)

​​​​​​​
Marc;52642:
Distinguished. Does that mean old? 🤣🤣🤣
Also, what does maven mean? I could look it up, I suppose....