New community platform - background image and colours

• Community Manager
  • 7634 replies
Hi all

We're playing around with the new Pure Planet Community platform.
What do you think of having the clouds instead of plain white? It makes it more in keeping with our website.

Ignore the text and the buttons. These are 'placeholders' for the time being.

19 replies

And here's the mobile version πŸ‘β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Looks like a refreshed and more informative approach of finding what you need to know with inviting clouds.
If it works by assisting members who do not regularly post and potential members surveying the site on how the basics work then it achieves its objective. I'm not that nit picky as long as people arrive are more encouraged by the functionality.
Keep on Stepping.... its refreshing....
Looking good! Keep going, it’s going to be a fun ride @Marc!

Reminds me of something I built many years ago. The clouds were just too stationary plus I also wanted to indicate progression through a 4 step process... Maybe you can make your clouds move too? πŸ€“

Feel free to borrow the code/idea. It’s low resource as it uses GPU acceleration on the cloud layers.

https://codepen.io/testmetest/pen/xxwxgQd
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Loving the β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘πŸ‘, works well
Glad you're liking it too @Strutt G @25 quid @Bev
We think the mobile version needs a bit more work. Desktop looks nicer already, yes.

Cheers for moving clouds tip @25 quid I'm passing this one on πŸ™‚
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Looking very positive & I like 25 quids’ suggestion. πŸ‘πŸ‘
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Sorry a bit late to this, had connectivity probs earlier.
I'm not keen on the moving cloud idea, I think it will distract, (sorry @25quid) but I am keen on the idea of having 2 themes for the website, a dark energy saving theme and the normal one. Readability is also going to be a potential issue with moving clouds with white text (as your theme).
I'd like to see contemporaneous issues on the front page (for example any potential outage issues, and common news which helps or may need action - for example if linked to account you could have a your meter readings are due by, here's how to change your DD etc.
Readability is a big issue for many, I hate the fact that the default text colour at present isn't/wasn't true black and I'd like an option for default text size if that's possible.
Type your question (if it's going to be a feature) could be improved too - it needs to infer that you are searching for similar questions so as not to frustrate.
I know you said mobile needs more work and I agree, it looks very amateurish as is , the boxes are too tall but everyone's opinion will be different I guess..
Anyway I'm sure your devs have thought of all that..
Good proof that you can’t please everyone all the time @woz. PP should embrace existing ideas to allow users to see things how they want, without having to navigate a separate PP settings section. Ideas such as:

These ideas can apply to the App and the web in varying degrees.You could get ahead of the game and code now for the forthcoming prefers-reduced-transparency and prefers-contrast, but no current browsers support it yet...
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Looks great @Marc
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Anything is better than a plain white, which makes text hard to read sometimes. Can it change with the seasons?
Probably a thought for the 'next update' - but how about moving the 'Type A Question' bar down, and having three boxes containing:

'Welcome' - 'Latest Price News' - 'Emergencies

or something similar above it, even consider the possibility of moving the bar to the bottom - just so that people may notice the forum has information available before they type?

I know from personal experience that new forum users, are as a 'very general rule' blind as a bat - I've seen people go past a thread that is stickied at the top of a page, only to ask 'where's the thread that I just scrolled past?' However, it might be worth a go?

Regards
​​​​​​​Mark
Jon1;51832:
Anything is better than a plain white, which makes text hard to read sometimes. Can it change with the seasons?

Good shout @Jon1
Erm, I don't know if that can be done automatically, but we could look at uploading different background images, depending on the time of year.

text hard to read sometimes

Yes, we're going to make the text contrast easier to read, too. This has been mentioned by @woz too.
In short, the next will be darker!
woz;51775:

I'd like to see contemporaneous issues on the front page (for example any potential outage issues, and common news which helps or may need action - for example if linked to account you could have a your meter readings are due by, here's how to change your DD etc.

We're def up for that too @woz
The new platform makes changing the homepage promo boxes (the ones shown in green in the examples) much, much easier. So when there's important news/issues to share, we can react faster and bring it to members' attention. πŸ‘
Gwyndy;51896:
Probably a thought for the 'next update' - but how about moving the 'Type A Question' bar down, and having three boxes containing:

'Welcome' - 'Latest Price News' - 'Emergencies

or something similar above it, even consider the possibility of moving the bar to the bottom - just so that people may notice the forum has information available before they type?

I know from personal experience that new forum users, are as a 'very general rule' blind as a bat - I've seen people go past a thread that is stickied at the top of a page, only to ask 'where's the thread that I just scrolled past?' However, it might be worth a go?

Regards
​​​​​​​Mark

That 'type a question' bar is actually a search bar @Gwyndy
The idea being that it'll bring up the answer so we reduce our duplicate questions.
So it's important we make that pretty prominent. I'm sure you will agree!
Search on the new platform is much, much better. It includes (shock! horror!) suggested results in real time as you type.

πŸ˜ƒ
I’m thinking I might not have made my point clearly previously. People have probably already customised their device; a website and app can respect those choices. Choices such as, for example in Settings on an iPhone:

Text Size:

Dark mode:

Reduce motion:

Similar accessibility settings exist on your Mac and probably Windoze.

Use the tricks I mentioned and you magically make people feel comfortable when interacting with your company as their preferences are silently respected.

πŸšΆβ€β™‚οΈ ​​​​​​​

25 quid;51783:
Good proof that you can’t please everyone all the time @woz. PP should embrace existing ideas to allow users to see things how they want, without having to navigate a separate PP settings section. Ideas such as:

These ideas can apply to the App and the web in varying degrees.You could get ahead of the game and code now for the forthcoming prefers-reduced-transparency and prefers-contrast, but no current browsers support it yet...
Oh, whilst I’m chatting with myself, I thought I’d mention that the screen reader compatibility ideas can be applied to emails too.

Privacy policy and Cookie policy could be the actual link text in today’s cookie email. That way people hear (and see) the actual thing they can action.

e.g. Read more in our updated Privacy policy and Cookie policy.
​​​​​​​@Nat you might also apply it to posts about cookies too. πŸ€“πŸ˜ƒ
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi 25
​​​​​​​see my other post...https://community.purepla.net/threads/9823-Updated-Privacy-and-Cookie-Policies?p=52435#post52435
I can't see why a screen reader wouldn't cope with it though?
25 quid;52439:
Oh, whilst I’m chatting with myself, I thought I’d mention that the screen reader compatibility ideas can be applied to emails too.
Privacy policy and Cookie policy could be the actual link text in today’s cookie email. That way people hear (and see) the actual thing they can action.

e.g. Read more in our updated Privacy policy and Cookie policy.
​​​​​​​@Nat you might also apply it to posts about cookies too. πŸ€“πŸ˜ƒ
It would read β€œclick here” and β€œclick here” as choices. Thus forcing the user to get the system to read out more of the page to find the right link. See info in earlier post.
woz;52441:
hi 25
I can't see why a screen reader wouldn't cope with it though?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
It's going to be interesting to see what this looks like on my phone. For some reason I don't see what ( most ) other members see on their community home page
​​​​​​​