"Just message the team" confusion (feedback to PP, and advice to new members)

A brief preface to my rant/ramble below. I’m a nearly new member (switch tomorrow) who has often been frustrated at the Pure Planet model of communication. I think it *can* work, and occasionally *does* work, but in the first few days as a switching customer, if you have a problem, it can be difficult to figure out how to communicate directly with Pure Planet (the company, and its customer service team).

I distinctly remember thinking the Community was the way to “send a message” to PP (wrong; I now realise that). I kept coming across the phrase “Just message the team”, or variants thereof, as if it was the simplest thing to do. Just out of interest, I did a quick search and found the following phrases in various messages:

“To get in touch with the Member Services team about making a payment you can log in on your app or at purepla.net and tap 'get help and support' > 'ask a question' then type 'bring my account up to date'.”
“you are going have to send a message to the team.”

“you will need to contact them via wattbot”

“you could have used message the team in wattbot”

“You may have misunderstood the reply to your previous post when advised to type message the team. You need to do this in Wattbot, which you will find in the help section of the menu”

Here’s my feedback, and main point - Wattbot needs to have two buttons. (1) Search for a solution or answer to a question. (2) Message the team. Each should have a brief explanation of the function of the two. Wanting to send a message doesn’t always involve wanting to “Ask a question”, so even this little detail causes confusion.

It’s too confusing when you start typing a message to the team, and you get a series of suggested “solutions” or “answers”. If I type, “Is my switch from Ovo going ahead?”, I want the team to check my account and tell me if my switch is going ahead, not read through a load of FAQs. Ironically, I typed exactly that question, and nobody replied to say “We have checked and your switch has been cancelled” Argh! I wasted two weeks because of this simple detail. I think my most commonly-used word in the first few days of dealing with PP communications was, “Huh?”

And lastly, I have a question. *How* exactly should you send a message via Wattbot? For example, I just sent 4 photos of my meter (because there are problems with the meter information). Should I (a) Type “message the team”, and then send 4 separate photos? Or (b) Type “message the team” before each photo? I don’t know how Wattbot is monitored, so don’t know if I need to tag every part of a multi-part message with “Message the team” at the beginning.

I could attach screen shots of my initial interactions with Wattbot, for your amusement, but suffice to say it was clear I just couldn’t figure out how to use Wattbot to “message the team”. One example: I literally “just typed message the team” as per instructions, and then sat .. and sat … and sat … thinking it was a “chat” function. Doh. Don’t laugh!

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Dunroving

if you go to the app and click on the 3 lines at the top right, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, 
Then you need to type in 'message the team'
It will then offer you a few options of faq, if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team'
Then wait until you see the reply from Wattbot saying 'OK, I've passed our conversation to the team. Anything to add? Send it below and the team will see it.'
You can then type in your message (and any photos), then send it
Might take a couple of days to get back to you, but they will.

Hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I agree with you, there should be an easy to see obvious in yer face  prominent guide on how to communicate, with screenshot examples and scenarios.

A brief preface to my rant/ramble below. I’m a nearly new member (switch tomorrow) who has often been frustrated at the Pure Planet model of communication. I think it *can* work, and occasionally *does* work, but in the first few days as a switching customer, if you have a problem, it can be difficult to figure out how to communicate directly with Pure Planet (the company, and its customer service team).

I distinctly remember thinking the Community was the way to “send a message” to PP (wrong; I now realise that). I kept coming across the phrase “Just message the team”, or variants thereof, as if it was the simplest thing to do. Just out of interest, I did a quick search and found the following phrases in various messages:

“To get in touch with the Member Services team about making a payment you can log in on your app or at purepla.net and tap 'get help and support' > 'ask a question' then type 'bring my account up to date'.”
“you are going have to send a message to the team.”

“you will need to contact them via wattbot”

“you could have used message the team in wattbot”

“You may have misunderstood the reply to your previous post when advised to type message the team. You need to do this in Wattbot, which you will find in the help section of the menu”

Here’s my feedback, and main point - Wattbot needs to have two buttons. (1) Search for a solution or answer to a question. (2) Message the team. Each should have a brief explanation of the function of the two. Wanting to send a message doesn’t always involve wanting to “Ask a question”, so even this little detail causes confusion.

It’s too confusing when you start typing a message to the team, and you get a series of suggested “solutions” or “answers”. If I type, “Is my switch from Ovo going ahead?”, I want the team to check my account and tell me if my switch is going ahead, not read through a load of FAQs. Ironically, I typed exactly that question, and nobody replied to say “We have checked and your switch has been cancelled” Argh! I wasted two weeks because of this simple detail. I think my most commonly-used word in the first few days of dealing with PP communications was, “Huh?”

And lastly, I have a question. *How* exactly should you send a message via Wattbot? For example, I just sent 4 photos of my meter (because there are problems with the meter information). Should I (a) Type “message the team”, and then send 4 separate photos? Or (b) Type “message the team” before each photo? I don’t know how Wattbot is monitored, so don’t know if I need to tag every part of a multi-part message with “Message the team” at the beginning.

I could attach screen shots of my initial interactions with Wattbot, for your amusement, but suffice to say it was clear I just couldn’t figure out how to use Wattbot to “message the team”. One example: I literally “just typed message the team” as per instructions, and then sat .. and sat … and sat … thinking it was a “chat” function. Doh. Don’t laugh!

Hi Dunroving

if you go to the app and click on the 3 lines at the top right, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, 
Then you need to type in 'message the team'
It will then offer you a few options of faq, if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team'
Then wait until you see the reply from Wattbot saying 'OK, I've passed our conversation to the team. Anything to add? Send it below and the team will see it.'
You can then type in your message (and any photos), then send it
Might take a couple of days to get back to you, but they will.

Hope this helps

Hi, after 3 weeks of interacting with PP, I now realise this. That was the whole point of my message - *now* I know, but *then* I remember being in a state of confusion.

How difficult could it be to separate Wattbot into a “search” function/button (search for a generic answer to a generic question), and “Contact” function/button (send a message to the team)?

For new members, the above multi-step process just isn’t intuitive. As per my original post, “Ask a question” doesn’t mean “contact the team”, or “Send a message” so a new user won’t understand that they have to click on “Ask a question” to (eventually) be able to “Send a message”.

Most computer users are familiar with sending emails, or sending messages, so why not have a button that uses this terminology? (I think I know why, but that’s a separate issue).

Or, Heaven forbid, a button on the Home page that says “Contact us”?!?

Oh, and another communication “thing”, while I am at it! :grinning:

I also remember seeing the Direct Message function in the Community Forum, which is something I am very familiar with from the several other forums I’m on (but which seems to have disappeared on the new Forum page - Arrgh!!).

“Great”, I thought, “I can send a message to Pure Planet”. Of course, when I got in there, I had to tell it who I wanted to message. “How the heck do I know?” I thought.

Later, it was suggested I should “message Marc” … err, how do I do that? (How as I supposed to know that Marc’s user name was, er, Marc?) There are only two PP reps on the forum - why not have their names, or a contact button, in the Message function? So a complete novice would go into the Message function (if they can find it!) and would see “Message Marc, PP rep” and “Message Nataly, PP rep”.

I know I sound like a broken record, but it’s not rocket science!

(Sorry for all the line breaks, I’m trying to get over the new format issues and seem to be overdoing it!)

And another thing! (Well, PP does say they appreciate feedback). :wink:

When I scroll up my Wattbot chat to review past messages and interaction (and to do a screen clip to post here), it won’t “stay” where I scrolled to. Within a second, it jumps back to the bottom.

Why have a scroll tab when you can’t scroll? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Oh, and another communication “thing”, while I am at it! :grinning:

I also remember seeing the Direct Message function in the Community Forum, which is something I am very familiar with from the several other forums I’m on (but which seems to have disappeared on the new Forum page - Arrgh!!).

“Great”, I thought, “I can send a message to Pure Planet”. Of course, when I got in there, I had to tell it who I wanted to message. “How the heck do I know?” I thought.

Later, it was suggested I should “message Marc” … err, how do I do that? (How as I supposed to know that Marc’s user name was, er, Marc?) There are only two PP reps on the forum - why not have their names, or a contact button, in the Message function? So a complete novice would go into the Message function (if they can find it!) and would see “Message Marc, PP rep” and “Message Nataly, PP rep”.

I know I sound like a broken record, but it’s not rocket science!

new community platform, not the same as the old one and direct messaging is a right royal pain now and you can’t dm more than one person at a time...I moan a lot...but with good reason, if it aint broke...

to dm you have to first find the person you want to dm (don’t ask how on earth you’re supposed to do that,  type @Dunroving  or @Marc  or @woz or @somebody click on the red and you get send message.

if you click on your avatar which if you haven’t changed it will be a D, (or non avatar if you don’t want to call it an avatar) look top right, clicking this you can see a drop down with private messages BUT you don’t appear to be able to send one from there to someone who hasn’t already messaged you - I simply don’t get it. @Marc are you seeing this?

Later, it was suggested I should “message Marc” … err, how do I do that? 

​​​​​​@Dunroving Just tap or click on my name to bring up my profile, then hit send message

These community guides may be of use :grinning:

​​​​​​@Dunroving Just tap or click on my name to bring up my profile, then hit send message

:joy:  I know, Marc. The whole point about this thread (as per the thread title) is that when I was a new user, I didn’t know. At the time I was confused (3 weeks ago) I didn’t even know who Marc was! At the time, I hadn’t seen any of your posts, so couldn’t have clicked on your icon. 

My thread is (attempting) to point out why brand new users might be confused about communication methods within PP. Not my current confusion - I’m currently confused about a whole other set of problems regarding my meter, and am waiting on The Team getting back to me. But that’s a story for another thread.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I just love that your status is “Chatty” 👏👏👍👍👍😂😂😂😂😂

I just love that your status is “Chatty” 👏👏👍👍👍😂😂😂😂😂

Definitely preferable to Moaning Minnie. ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Marc you got me at “just click on my name”, you can’t do that without finding you or whoever it is  first, hence my post. It’s counter intuitive.

… and there’s another new person just posted to illustrate my point about it not being obvious who/how to contact if you have an account-related question.

And as my thread has been moved to the Feedback forum, which is at the bottom, and isn’t *intuitively* the first place a brand new user would go to, this helpful thread is no use to him/her! (I have typed a response, though).

The thread is here if it’s of interest.

hi @Marc you got me at “just click on my name”, you can’t do that without finding you or whoever it is  first, hence my post. It’s counter intuitive.

Hey @woz

I think it’s v similar to the way people use other messaging apps.

Also, just in the last few days we’re seeing dozens and dozens of people able to send messages here without any problem.

True, it is a different way of sending messages to the old platform. Which may not be to all tastes, for sure. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @woz

I think it’s v similar to the way people use other messaging apps.

Also, just in the last few days we’re seeing dozens and dozens of people able to send messages here without any problem.

True, it is a different way of sending messages to the old platform. Which may not be to all tastes, for sure. 

hi @Marc thanks, may i suggest that in the faq it needs to be explained that if you want to send a  dm but only have the name you then you need to somehow find that persons profile to send the dm, and by typing @thename a list will appear with the name, and to click on the name you’ve chosen.

THE PROBLEM IS IT DOESN’T WORK WHILE COMPOSING A  MESSAGE

I attach a screenshot which explains this better than words, for anyone who may stumble upon this post, if say you wanted to post to someone called ABsomething, typing @ab gives this, you’d need to click the one you wanted, but it wouldn’t lead you to the profile until posted it in the message, in other words if I select say @AB1 here and click it after selection I wouldn’t get the profile until I’d posted the post. What have I missed here?

this is a legacy issue in part, maybe as you imply I wouldn’t be writing this if we had started from here, but I can’t find an obvious answer to getting to a profile when you just have the name other than searching for a post by that person. Maybe it’s just me...

Thanks @woz 

That’s right. You choose who to send it to before you write it. 

A guide exists too, right here:grinning:

Maybe it’s just me…

Well, maybe. But it’s OK. Good to chat about these things, right? 

It’s just different to how it was before. Possibly the last messaging system we had was a bit too close to email, but we called it messaging, when it wasn’t really. (I mean it even had folders and read receipts and ways of filtering….)

This one is closer to messaging.

Badge +2

I’ve enjoyed reading this. I think there are some terrific points.

The complaint about the solutions that come up when you start messaging in wattbot is interesting because it’s something a few of here in the community suggested to try and help steer the end user to the right help quickly while helping keep the load on PP staff members lighter.

I must admit I haven’t used wattbott and awful lot and I find it much easier to come to the community to find answers. I’m not totally convinced that PP has got it right with communication yet, especially for new members trying to sign up/switch. But I believe we can get there so feedback like this is great.

Here is another customer who finds the new customer experience confusing:

https://community.purepla.net/ask-the-community-15/customer-service-10435

And another new customer finding that the text link doesn’t work:

https://community.purepla.net/joining-and-switching-13/response-to-query-on-gas-meter-10437

And another new customer confused by the text link not working properly:

https://community.purepla.net/ask-the-community-15/access-text-link-10427

And another (potential) new customer who is as confused as I was about whether her switch has gone through, and who to contact:

https://community.purepla.net/joining-and-switching-13/help-10421

From her follow-up post, my guess is she may not go through with the switch.

These sorts of posts seem to be coming up every day.

… and another new customer can’t figure out Wattbot message function:

https://community.purepla.net/joining-and-switching-13/how-do-i-access-wattbot-on-the-website-10440

… why not simply have a “Contact the team” link on the Homepage when somebody is logged in? I fear that every day, another person new to Pure Planet gains a negative experience trying to “contact” Pure Planet. It’s nothing to do with not having a call centre, it’s to do with the counterintuitive interface!

OK, I’ll stop there, but hopefully 5 new frustrated customers in as many days makes my point.

Thank you @Dunroving  

We’re looking to strike a balance. Having a ‘contact the team’ on the app homepage does mean everyone will simply bypass WattBot (which can answer about three quarters of queries) and the community - either reading the FAQs or talking to other members.

Having ‘contact the team’ on the app homepage would then mean more contact. So we’d need to get more staff, and costs would go up, and so the margins fall, and then our Membership Fee might have to go up, and we don’t think anyone wants that!

But I take your point that people do need a way of contacting our team if other ways don’t answer their question.

We think having a ‘Help’ section in the main menu is a good balance.

It’s always being reviewed, of course. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Lots of valid frustrations especially when you’ve just arrived and finding it hard to join. 

I can’t comment on switching sites, because I joined direct without an issue from PP’s end.

I joined the community prior to the switch being complete to research and to gain confidence.

I was apprehensive because I can be impatient, so having no call centre was regarded as change of approach as my previous suppliers call centre, was a complete waste of space.

I used wattBot from the offset and promptly understood on how to “Message the Team”, granted that was via the community posts.

The all singing and dancing bot full filled my needs, but I’ve had no real issues and I’m not that hard to please.

So we’ve got a great platform with:

1. Lots of FaQ’s and information that many CBA to look at or pre researched
  2. APP and or online account with review account options
  3. A Q/A digital assistant - wattBot
  4. wattbot (my first option) that flags up the account team to respond 
  5. Direct messaging (my 2nd option) service for a community managers response
  6. Support from many knowledgable members with a wealth of knowledge - educational 
  7. PP’s open forum approach - ability to comment, suggest, critic all in the best possible taste
  8. PP’s not perfect - nor am I - who is
  9. Post ideas and expect considered responses in due course
  10. Bad news travels and the good stuff (or no issue stuff) sits as is