Introducing a Community archive to improve search

• Former Community Manager
  • 4002 replies

Can you believe the Community is now over 4 years old (and fast approaching 5)! Over that time, not only has the Community grown massively, but things at Pure Planet have continued to develop and change. That’s thanks, in part, to all your contributions, feedback, and ideas here on the Community itself. Thank you! 

As a result, some of the older posts on the Community are now a bit outdated, or maybe contain advice that’s no longer relevant to Pure Planet as it is today. As part of our continued work to improve search results, it may be time to pull together those older threads and place them into an archive. 

That’d mean they no longer appear in search results, but are still visible in the Community in a new ‘archive’ section. So if you want to refer back to past posts, you still can.

We’re currently thinking that archiving posts from 2017, 2018 and 2019 is best - but we’ll make sure not to archive any of your idea posts, or popular posts like introduce yourself and 11 things to know when you switch, which are regularly updated by myself, Marc and Mads. 

Of course, we want to hear from you on whether you think this is a good idea, and whether 2017-19 feels like the right cut-off point to start with? 

This new section will also need a name! We could go with something that does what it says on the tin - Community archive - or maybe something a bit different, like The Community chronicles. If you have any ideas for a name, let us know in the replies below. :raised_hands:

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Smashing idea IMO 👍👍👏👏

De Cluttering is good, Nat 👍, and I can well imagine how soooo much must not be relevant, after having the new platty (think 2 actually since I joined 🤷‍♀️) and therefore links and the like may not work or have any relevance. Makes sense to keep it fresh, but whilst still keeping a backup indeed 👍. 

Names 🤨🤔🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️🙇‍♀️…..…….…

”The Archive Tunnel”

or “The Community Archive Tunnel” otherwise known as CAT. 

Badge +5

Makes lots of sense. I don’t think it needs a special name, just “Archive”. 

Yes to archiving up to 31/12/2019.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi @Nataly 

Is this going to be a rolling archive such that anything over (say) 20 months is going to make it’s way into the archive or will there be a manual cull every so often?

Will the original links and attachments be affected?

Will the archive google search in the same way - I can’t see why not but asking anyway (and I still don’t rate PP search - most of the time in fact all of the time google finds it but PP search struggles) try typing prices, you’d expect to find errrr..current prices but no)

Just call it “Archive”  or “Historical Posts” or is that Hysterical posts...on the dropdown list of sections
You can expand/explain the title once you’ve clicked on it and arrived there.

Will there be any obvious indication on the actual post  and the searched list that the post is from the Archive and not from “current” posts?
...and will archive posts be treated in exactly the same way as current posts (when searching etc.)

There needs to be (or does there need to be?)  an archive flag or the date box highlighted in some way to make it obvious that it’s older…

There will need to be a tickable include archive box when searching but you’ve already thought of that…

I have to commit a heinous crime in the garden, back later (no bodies involved)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I think it makes perfect sense to archive outdated info. Could also save confusion of different answers being on the forum (not sure if that excites but would make sense)

Badge +5

Just keep it simple. “Archive” With a simple search mechanism. It needs no bells and whistles. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I bet it’s quite fun going back to the real early days, and what would be fun would be seeing everyone who is a regular now, very FIRST post hee hee!!!!!! 

I think the very very first member was a Spanish guy, if I remember rightly. Lovely and engaging, but think moved back to Spain with his family. Began with G but my memory can’t quite remember his full name. Might be Garabaldi, something like that. 

Real fun times a bit later with our Wozeeta, our Scubes, our Strutty and our Jonny. 

How it’s grown! Time flies too! 

Good plan @Nataly. As @woz hinted, don’t alter the URL (or include a 301 redirect) so search engine’s can still see stuff.

My only hesitation is if there is some authoritative post that does the job and has never been superseded — it will get lost.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Sounds sensible to me. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Sounds good to me, as mentioned some of the information in the older posts in no longer relevant, and could even cause confusion if the searcher is not aware that it's an old post

I have no particular opinion at this time regarding possible section names.

My inclination for cut-off date is 30th June 2020, but 31st December 2019 works just as well.

My reasoning for the later date is that you’ve had several app updates since then, and you had no fixed-term contracts longer than 12 months at that time, so, in theory at least, there should be no historical data that needs to be dug up during a general search.

I presume that if anything ends up in the archive which later needs restoring to the main section that can be done fairly easily by @Mads@Marc, or @Nataly?

As others have suggested, the section, and it’s posts probably require some form of ‘You are in the Pure Planet Archive, information here may be out of date’ warning.

hi @Nataly 

Is this going to be a rolling archive such that anything over (say) 20 months is going to make it’s way into the archive or will there be a manual cull every so often?

Will the original links and attachments be affected?

Will the archive google search in the same way - I can’t see why not but asking anyway (and I still don’t rate PP search - most of the time in fact all of the time google finds it but PP search struggles) try typing prices, you’d expect to find errrr..current prices but no)

Just call it “Archive”  or “Historical Posts” or is that Hysterical posts...on the dropdown list of sections
You can expand/explain the title once you’ve clicked on it and arrived there.

Will there be any obvious indication on the actual post  and the searched list that the post is from the Archive and not from “current” posts?
...and will archive posts be treated in exactly the same way as current posts (when searching etc.)

There needs to be (or does there need to be?)  an archive flag or the date box highlighted in some way to make it obvious that it’s older…

There will need to be a tickable include archive box when searching but you’ve already thought of that…

I have to commit a heinous crime in the garden, back later (no bodies involved)

Hi @woz 

Let me try to answer your Qs! :slight_smile:

It wouldn’t be an automatic archive as such, it’d be a manual cull every so often - maybe once, or twice, a year. 

Attachments shouldn’t be affected, and links would change in the way they do now if we have to merge someone’s posts together or move them into the correct section - so redirects would be in place. 

Google search is an interesting one, which could be configured by yours truly when setting it up. Since it's an archive, the posts likely wouldn’t appear in Google search.

Posts in the archive would not appear in Community search results, which is the key here we think to improving the results shown. They’d only be found by clicking directly through the archive. 

We currently wouldn’t be able to include a special archive flag or similar on the posts, but they would show as being from the archive at the top of the page (e.g at the top of this page where it says Community > Get involved > Testing and feedback). Since the posts wouldn’t appear in search, it’s less likely that Members would accidentally stumble across them, though. 

Since the archive is just that - an archive - I don’t believe it’d be possible to have an ‘include archive’ box in search I’m afraid. But that’s something we could look into after we’ve gone live! 

Phew. Hope that answers some of your questions. :grinning:

I presume that if anything ends up in the archive which later needs restoring to the main section that can be done fairly easily by @Mads@Marc, or @Nataly?

Absolutely correct @Gwyndy, they wouldn’t be lost to the archive forever! :grin: Hopefully that also helps reassure you to this point, @25 quid

My only hesitation is if there is some authoritative post that does the job and has never been superseded — it will get lost.

I suppose @Nataly you have tried (and failed) to get the search to much more highly favour recent posts? That would allow old unique and relevant posts to still be found (not lost in an archive), but old stuff would disappear (beyond page 2) if there were newer relevant posts available. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I suppose @Nataly you have tried (and failed) to get the search to much more highly favour recent posts? That would allow old unique and relevant posts to still be found (not lost in an archive), but old stuff would disappear (beyond page 2) if there were newer relevant posts available. 

That's a good point, I know when I have searched that the results can vary in date, some only hours/days old will be directly above one 2 years old, then the next a few months, there is no date order

I suppose @Nataly you have tried (and failed) to get the search to much more highly favour recent posts? That would allow old unique and relevant posts to still be found (not lost in an archive), but old stuff would disappear (beyond page 2) if there were newer relevant posts available. 

Hi @25 quid 

The search results are based off a hierarchy of word matching, rather than recent posts. At the moment we wouldn’t be able to configure it to be based on timing, as it’s programmed to be based off language. 

That’s why we think creating this archive, to ensure that the results are all more recent and therefore relevant, is a good solution here. :thumbsup: 

A pragmatic solution @Nataly. Hope we don’t miss any old treasure...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks for the reply @Nataly , same concern as our notes, sometimes you have to revert to googlies

Topical blog from your Insided friends on the benefits of UGC. Not sure how T-mobile PP is...

https://www.insided.com/blog/what-the-faq-how-user-generated-content-beats-faqs/

Hi everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback on this! Looks like we’re good to go ahead with the archive? So long as we keep an eye out to make sure we don’t move any VIPs (very important posts) in there. 

We’re currently planning on creating the archive in a couple of weeks’ time - so, in the week of 13 September. We’ll probably spread the ‘archiving’ out over a couple of days, too, as it’s quite a manual job for this first big move. We’ll let you know in this thread when it’s happening! 

Hey everyone, 

Just confirming that we’re starting work on the archive now. :grinning:

It’s not publicly visible yet while we work on it but will be soon! 

For now, we’re only including ‘questions’ in the following sections: 

Ask the Community, Smart meters, Payments and billing, Joining and switching. 

That’s so we don’t lose any VIPs! We’ll be adding to the archive over the coming weeks, too. :thumbsup:

We’re trying to avoid this happening, but just so you know, if you do spot something that’s gone missing into the archive that you don’t think should be there, please do let me know on this thread or by DM, and I’ll get that sorted. :pray: