Feedback wanted on how Pure Planet could reward Members for staying with us

• 30 January 2020
  • 30 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6147 replies

Hi everyone

Pure Planet’s journey so far has been about growing our Membership base and becoming established in the GB energy market.

Like other energy suppliers, we offer incentives to join Pure Planet, such as sharing rewards when referred by a friend or family Member already on supply with us. And of course this offer is for all our Members because you can refer anyone, any time!

We’ve also offered bill credits to people switching to us from price comparison sites.

It’s been a great way for us to build our Membership base, and also means we can say thanks to new Members for helping to get us more.

Now we’re looking into how we can reward Members for sticking with Pure Planet for longer.

We’ve got a few ideas, and would like to hear what you think.

Remember though that it won’t be financially prudent to just hand out cash or account credits to such a large Membership base, as we already offer a pass-through rate on the energy we supply to you, and we need to stay profitable.

So brown envelopes are out 😉

We think one idea would be to reward CO2 savings. When a Member achieves a target, say by their second year, we could match it.

Or how about Pure Planet plants a tree on your behalf on the anniversary of your switch date? Remember, we already carbon offset all gas - and that offsetting helps protect, preserve and plant trees in the Amazonian Rainforest in Peru, and helps support 400 small farmers there.

We could create a PP competition whereby one Member gets a bill credit for a year, and you enter the draw by default when you’re on supply with us for a year or more?

Members have also previously told us they’d like us to support more charities on their behalf. Would us donating more to good causes be a good way to celebrate your PP milestones?

Your feedback would be great. 👍 We are also looking at adding credits to members’ accounts, but as we grow that’ll start to get hugely expensive, and may not be sustainable.

But we might be able to, for example, give extra rewards on Members’ anniversaries. For example, on the monthly anniversary of your switch to PP, you get double rewards for referring a friend or family member.

30 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
It all sounds great and forward thinking, competion's are great but that could mean that some one wins who does not need it, and in reverse!
Charities yes re Crisis etc - Trees trees and more trees.
Afternoon.

Personally speaking, I would be happy with this:

how about Pure Planet plants a tree on your behalf on the anniversary of your switch date?

​​​​​​​

The thing that concerns me with an 'annual reward' is that providing a 'monetary value' may just encourage 'serial switchers' to stay for 13 months, get the reward, then leave.
Hey @Marc,

As (I hope) you remember I raised this with you a few months ago (via PM).... have you already decided to reject my original idea.
​​​​​​​From the content of your post... it certainly looks that way.
Gray4276;47476:
Hey @Marc,

As (I hope) you remember I raised this with you a few months ago (via PM).... have you already decided to reject my original idea.
​​​​​​​From the content of your post... it certainly looks that way.

Hi @Gray4276
Sorry but I don't remember, at the moment. I wish I were that brainy!
Could you add it again here?
Marc;47477:
Hi @Gray4276
Sorry but I don't remember, at the moment. I wish I were that brainy!
Could you add it again here?

I think it was a PM...not sure if it was A PM
​​​​​​​But I'll check where it is/was......

Update:

​​​​​https://community.purepla.net/threads/8315-Pure-Planet-announces-new-price-protection-for-its-Members

Hey @Marc......It wasn't a PM
But I've added a Link to the original post thread......this thread contains my "suggestion".....which you appeared to have liked.... at the time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi marc.
its great your looking into rewarding loyal membership.
sadly for most people its about the money.
So my idea would be to have a quarterly prize draw. Every 3 months you been a member gets 1 ticket into the draw. Number and value of Prizes as you see fit. Prize can be as account credit or trees whichever the winner prefers, i would pick trees (but then again its not my money).
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I have real concerns about the reward system for switching as it stands and I've previously said so, (I think it sends the wrong message and encourages abuse especially the £50) so I really dislike the idea in the last line of your post.
I would add in the spirit of Schadenfreude that the excessive rewards for switching are counterproductive (or at best an irritant) for those loyal members who may not be inclined to canvass their friends and family to get £100 a throw...

I quite like the idea of a small reward to the account on the anniversary, example follows:

Hi congratulations for being with Pure Planet for a year (or another year if it's >1)
As a reward for your loyalty you can have a credit of £10 (could increase by a £5 a year up to £20) to your account or we will double it and either give it to a charity from the list here(link) (these are charities we have added which have been suggested by our members) or we will plan't trees to the value of £double
Please make your choice here.(link) If you don't make a choice by date we will credit your account with £10 which will appear on your next statement (given that it's anniversary this assumes the statement date has just passed so next one in a month)
The fact that the reward is relatively small will encourage more charity, and the default could be that if no choice is made the £10 is credited to the account in a month's time.
Badge +1
I certainly like the idea of giving the choice to either donate to a charity or to plant some more trees. Personally, I think that there is enough incentives to the pp community in terms of being rewarded for what we contribute and for recommendations.

I feel that it will encourage more like minded people to PP because it promotes more of a community ethos by encouraging a more outward looking approach of looking after others and each other rather than an inward approach of staying with a company purely for personal monetary gain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I like the charity / trees idea on an anniversary.

I think the prize draw is too random.

Don't like the double referral choice as not everyone has an unlimited amount of friends / neighbours / colleagues to refer and therefore they will be penalised.
​​​​​​​
I also think that a small account credit would appeal to many.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Interesting ideas, but i do urge some caution as giving money away on preset dates and times may leave some wondering if you can afford to give money away then you can afford to cut the prices. Signing on bonus is not perfect but from a business point of view it does work and in the majority of cases people will stay for a while.
I think it would be best if it was explained that any 'loyalty bonus' is a 'paid for by reducing the costs incurred by Pure Planet through "churn",' or something similar - 'you haven't left, therefore we haven't had to find a new customer' sort of thing?

It could go something like:

Dear .....

When we decided to create a 'new way of supplying energy (or other bumf from mission statement here) on (insert date of meeting in pub here), we hoped to appeal to a customer who would not only want renewable energy, but would also be willing to try the opportunity of joining a community of like minded people, willing to work together for the good of all.

Today marks the .... anniversary of the date we started supplying you with (electricity, gas, beer tokens...) and therefore, as a company which aims to deal with its members in different ways to the energy industries norms, we would like to offer you something to say 'thank you'.
​​​​​​​
Normally, as you are probably aware, all utilities suffer from 'churn' (possible brief explanation of churn here?) which they have to equate for in their costs. Your loyalty to Pure Planet has reduced this cost to us, therefore, we wish to 'give something back' to yourself, or to a charity, or to the planet on your behalf.

We would appreciate it if you could let us know which one of the following options you would therefore like to accept:

1: Credit on account of...?

2: Voucher to the amount of...?

3: Donation to Pure Planet's charity for 2020?

4: A tree (one tree for electric, one for gas?) planted on your behalf, to offset some of your carbon emissions?

Kindest Regards

The boss(es)

Just a thought, or several - I've lost track.

Personally, I would be inclined to remove options 1 and 2, and give people the choice between 'plant a tree' or 'donation to PP Charity of the year'.

But that's just me, the way I see it, if I wasn't expecting anything anyway, giving something to someone else is still a 'bonus.'
​​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Mark

​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Jon1;47508:
Interesting ideas, but i do urge some caution as giving money away on preset dates and times may leave some wondering if you can afford to give money away then you can afford to cut the prices. Signing on bonus is not perfect but from a business point of view it does work and in the majority of cases people will stay for a while.
Personally I’d rather any money to support such an incentive be used to keep bills down. Stay competitive in the market and people will naturally stay. I agree with @NannyOgg, the gift for contributing to the community is a nice enough little extra.
Userlevel 6
Hi @Marc

Personally, I’d just like a blue PP hoodie :)
I don’t think it needs to be a specifically large gesture but I do think it’s brilliant when loyalty is rewarded - everything these days is about growing and getting more customers in but paying no attention to the ones that are quiet, don’t cause trouble and don’t need anything.

Account credits and amazon vouchers are nice but they’ll probably just get frittered away and not really noticed as a gift. Something small and regular is better - loyalty in the energy market is hard to come by so I think measurement in years is too long. The suggestion of a quarterly draw I like - maybe throw some little gifts/merchandise in there (green ones, of course)?
Userlevel 7
Badge
Not wishing to be presumptuous? but I imagine that most/all came to pp based on the 'saving the planet for future folk' type mantra, so it would be my preferred option that anything that supports that eg tree planting for more photosynthesis and carbon d absorption makes sense. Is there is anyway of supporting recycling schemes because Stockport council make me believe, they think that means riding your bike back home! Big supporter too of charities and if that can be linked with energy efficiency ideas for less well off families or alike. Ticks my box, so to speak, or shud that be a cross?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
MrSmart;47591:
Hi @Marc

Account credits and amazon vouchers are nice but they’ll probably just get frittered away and not really noticed as a gift. Something small and regular is better - loyalty in the energy market is hard to come by so I think measurement in years is too long. The suggestion of a quarterly draw I like - maybe throw some little gifts/merchandise in there (green ones, of course)?

The Amazon rewards are always a lovely generous welcome reward, but the little things, sent as a surprise, are sooooooo special, and mean so much 👍👍👍👏👏👏
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
PS Always LOVE a competition, that leccy bike comp was awesome, so always up for that option too yes 👍👏, brings more excitement IMO
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
For me, I had a BIG smile when a Pure Planet T Shirt came through my letterbox (with no warning) - my wife was also impressed and found a suitable recipient as the size was to large for both of us. Lovely to have a surprise like this (or am I easily pleased). I also like the tree planting program for rewarding loyalty.
​​​​​​​Regards.

PS - T Shirts/Hoodies are probably inexpensive to acquire & great advertising (my t shirt is in Philadelphia)🇺🇸🇺🇸
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
That’s me too, our Dai. Post is rare these days, unless it’s pizza leaflets or the very occasional bill. I little surprise thru the post, IMO, means sooooooo much, truly does. I have been beyond thrilled re the lovely gifts from PP over the two years, and I think the surprise postal gifts, and the surprise Amazon rewards, have really truly made me soooooo touched 👏👏👏👏👍💕
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
100% with you Bev - it’s the small things in life that have the biggest effect 👍👍
It would be nice if PP curate the latest content on Electric bikes, cars, innovation in these area as well solar and wind, especially if it could be sorted by locale. would be nice to see it i the app as well. Rewards are not necessarily in £. Cheers. Tim
MrSmart;47591:
Hi @Marc

Personally, I’d just like a blue PP hoodie :)

But then they'd have to ask us our sizes.
If pureplanet is within 50-80 quid of the others then most will pay a small
premium and stay loyal
but when others are 250 cheaper then existing loyalty means nothing,even for savey users.
you need to email customers at times when others seem cheaper explaining why you are not always that competitive. Keep us updated. I can’t think
why anyone would be joining you now 7/2/20 as you are way way down the table.
So drop sign on bonuses and reward long term customers with automatic % discounts on a 6m basis. Eg 1% up to 10% after 5 years. A drop
in chut rate would
pat for it
Pure planet could give a percentage of the customer bill to charity, or reduce the monthly fee by a percentage, if the customer stays for longer than 6 months 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Charlotte888 and welcome to the community! (I'm guessing you are new here as this appears to be your first post)
I like your idea.
(also just to say prices are dropping on 1st May in case you don't already know)
Charlotte888;52551:
Pure planet could give a percentage of the customer bill to charity, or reduce the monthly fee by a percentage, if the customer stays for longer than 6 months :)

Thanks @Charlotte888
Great post, a charitable contribution sounds like a wonderful idea. For the sake of admin, we may need to decide which charity/charities in advance.
Do you have one in mind?