Question

Do PP have a specific arrangement with Magnum not to replace ANY existing Smart Meters?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 10970 replies

This one’s a bit odd but bear with me.

I look after a relative’s account who is not with PP and they received the below email.

(Notwithstanding that I don’t believe the claim at the end of the mail that 85% of households conserve energy as a result of having a SM (the asterisk is not qualified in the mail!) but that’s one for discussion elsewhere.

This customer has an old smart meter 

I called Lowri Beck to ask why (or if) they were replacing existing smart meters and spoke to a very helpful lady who told me they aren't replacing all old smart meters but only the ones they have been told will not be updateable. I was first told this included some smets1 meters, but I was sceptical and re-checked, and the real story is  there were some older BG meters which were pre smets1 which can’t be updated and those would be replaced. She triple checked with colleagues who confirmed that all smets1 will be updated not replaced, so it looks like my relative has an original BG install.

My take on this is there will be some customers of PP who are in the situation of having smart meters which can’t be updated, which of course is at odds with PP’s no landfill policy of updating but not replacing all meters.

Can anyone from PP confirm or deny or check this? It may prove useful for others to know.

12 replies

Hi @woz 

You’re correct - once the updates to all SMETS1 meters on supply with Pure Planet have been completed, there’ll be a small group of SMETS1 meters as you outlined above, that haven’t been able to be upgraded to the SMETS2 network. 

As you mentioned, we don’t want meters needlessly going to landfill - so our aim is to replace as few smart meters as possible. For that reason once all updates have been completed we’ll then work to replace the group of meters where this work wasn’t possible :thumbsup:

I have a British Gas smart meter that was already installed in my new house. This is on a new build estate. When will I be getting my so call British Gas smart meter upgraded to the new ones. At this moment in time I cant even use it to get readings but have to go to the gas and electric boxes to read the meters directly. This seems crazy. I have a display thats not even configured so doesnt work at all. How do I at least get it configured so it can be used to get readings or will it ever? If never then I might as well throw the display in the bin instead of it taking up space at the back of one of my kitchen drawers. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I have a British Gas smart meter that was already installed in my new house. This is on a new build estate. When will I be getting my so call British Gas smart meter upgraded to the new ones. At this moment in time I cant even use it to get readings but have to go to the gas and electric boxes to read the meters directly. This seems crazy. I have a display thats not even configured so doesnt work at all. How do I at least get it configured so it can be used to get readings or will it ever? If never then I might as well throw the display in the bin instead of it taking up space at the back of one of my kitchen drawers. 

@ColinW Don’t throw it away it might work one day…!

Presumably you’ve tried it? plug it in near the meters if possible and give it a day or two.

If your meter was fitted recently (how new is new build) it’s probably a smets2 and there should be some ihd functionality..if not use wattbot to ask but give it a day or two to settle.

I will try again and just leave it for a few days. All it seems to come up with is “connecting to smart meter” but who knows. I bought the house in 2019 and I believe the house was built in 2018/2019 so I think its a smets1 meter sadly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I will try again and just leave it for a few days. All it seems to come up with is “connecting to smart meter” but who knows. I bought the house in 2019 and I believe the house was built in 2018/2019 so I think its a smets1 meter sadly.

it could be either...have a forage on that link..

the monitor has just come up with a message “Network Lost. Contact your supplier”. So, now I have no clue.

Userlevel 6
Badge

the monitor has just come up with a message “Network Lost. Contact your supplier”. So, now I have no clue.

I would let them come and install the smart meters which will probably be more successful than smet1 meters

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@ColinW @Rds261189 

unless it’s a smart pre-smets1 meter as per first post PP won’t replace it, it will (eventually) be updated.

that would be nice. I havent had any offer to replace it so I dont know whats going on. Is there any way I can get this sorted.. ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

that would be nice. I havent had any offer to replace it so I dont know whats going on. Is there any way I can get this sorted.. ?

@ColinW yes, use wattbot which is help&support to ask PP if they can get it working. If your meter is smets2 they should or may  be able to do something, if not you’ll need to wait for an update (PP have no control over that). Make sure wattbot tells you it’s sent your message to the team.

Userlevel 6
Badge

Are you still with British Gas or with PP, the smart meters will be updated in time across to PP but I know myself their has been data flow issues before with British Gas and PP haven't received the right information, this has happened to me when I swapped away from British Gas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

It's unlikely that you will have an offer to replace your SMETS1 meters as it is PP's policy to update rather then renew to save wastage. 

It's with noting that the timescale involved had been delayed due to Covid