automatic time out/sign out from community

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

When I go onto PP app and click on Community it opens a new tab in my browser and I am signed in. 

If I click out of my browser and go back later to same tab, it has automatically signed me out. 

If I click on sign in on this tab, i have to go back into emails to verify my identity again, which is a right faf on. 

So I have to go back into PP app and click on Community again, which opens another signed-in tab on my browser, but it goes back to the homepage, not where I left off.  

Is there anyway to stop the tab from automatically signing out? 

(This was never a problem before , on  the old community, it always kept signed in)

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

When I go onto PP app and click on Community it opens a new tab in my browser and I am signed in. 

If I click out of my browser and go back later to same tab, it has automatically signed me out. 

If I click on sign in on this tab, i have to go back into emails to verify my identity again, which is a right faf on. 

So I have to go back into PP app and click on Community again, which opens another signed-in tab on my browser, but it goes back to the homepage, not where I left off.  

Is there anyway to stop the tab from automatically signing out? 

(This was never a problem before , on  the old community platform, it always kept signed in)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Angela

What device are you using?

this is interesting, I’m wondering if this is partially cookie related, and I’m not sure whats going on exactly, but my experience so far is as follows

On my PC If I delete all of the cookies from PP, and go to the community page it says log in, BUT when I click on log-in it doesn’t take me to the enter your email page,  but logs me in straight away. That tells me there are two bits related to the log in, the token it saves when you log in which should be persistent, and a related cookie which doesn’t affect the token, it does affect what you see on the page though.

Have you tried refreshing the page? What happens?

I don’t know if the token times out, it hasn’t so far, for me but I’d suggest clearing your cache and starting again accepting necessary cookies at least. If your browser is set to clear the cache when you exit that might  explain it but you say you aren’t closing the browser so I don’t understand what could be going on.  I‘ll post back if the token starts to time out for me.

Other than that more experimentation required.

LATER UPDATE

I just tried this on my iphone and closed the app, it logged me out so I agree this needs fixing if security parameters will allow it to be fixed (they may not)

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

OOPs Sorry I already replied to the original post HERE but fwiw most of my reply is rubbish apart from the last line which agrees with you as I just tried it on my ‘phone, closed the app and it logged me out.

Hey @Angelabikerbabe 

Just to say that I think you had it right the first time - testing & feedback is a good place to post this.

We’ll check this out with our tech team, of course. :thumbsup:

Could you let us know what phone and browser you’re using?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hey @Angelabikerbabe 

Just to say that I think you had it right the first time - testing & feedback is a good place to post this.

We’ll check this out with our tech team, of course. :thumbsup:

Could you let us know what phone and browser you’re using?

Hi @Marc

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy A3, with Google 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Think it’s deffo cookies. When I’ve unblocked cookies (which I hate doing), I can click on Community moon and takes me straight back in , like old days Ange 👍👏.

If however, I click on Community moon, with cookies blocked, it goes right round the houses with that blooming email log in faf again. 

I think my solution is to unblock 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪purely for using PP, then block as soon as I’m finished, In just one day, I’m receiving too many cold calls from having cookies unblocked. 

In just one day, I’m receiving too many cold calls from having cookies unblocked. 

Is it cos you is dunkin your cookies in cold tea @Bev?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

😂😂😂😂🍪☕️

I think you’re spot on @Bev 

It works fine for me. Go to app > tap on communty moon > opens in new web page (Safari for me) and I’m automatically logged in.

Then I can also close the web browser, reopen the community with a new page, and i’m still logged in.

@Angelabikerbabe do you think your Cookies settings may be affecting it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I think you’re spot on @Bev 

It works fine for me. Go to app > tap on communty moon > opens in new web page (Safari for me) and I’m automatically logged in.

Then I can also close the web browser, reopen the community with a new page, and i’m still logged in.

When you say you 'reopen the community with a new page',  do you mean via the community moon again? 

I am meaning when I go back to my tabs and refresh the PP one that's already there. (Not going back to app and going through the moon again)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Deffo need to unblock all cookies in your settings Ange, works fine thereafter 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Deffo need to unblock all cookies in your settings Ange, works fine thereafter 👍

My cookie setting is already on as "allow cookies", so can't understand why it's still happening  

I think you’re spot on @Bev 

When you say you 'reopen the community with a new page',  do you mean via the community moon again? 

Yes, when I tap or click on the moon it launches the web browser

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This bugger is logging me out more than ever today 🙀🙀🙀🙀, have to keep going back to me moons 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

This bugger is logging me out more than ever today 🙀🙀🙀🙀, have to keep going back to me moons 

I think its very intermittent. 

I can be OK for a long while, then it logs me out all of  sudden. 😡

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Have to say, touch wood, don’t speaky too soon, it’s kept me logged in all day today, even tho I’ve done other things. Usually, once I go into email, Candy Crush 🍡🍬🍭or news etc, it refreshes then logs me out 😡👎. Not today. So far, so good 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Jeez, no sooner had I said it, and it logs me out! 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄👎. Been playing superbly all day long. Typical 😂😂😂🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

it might be worth checking if you are actually logged out, I found it said I was logged out but on refresh I was still logged in without having to log in again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yeah deffo logged me out Wozeeta. Had to either go thru the email faff (no chance 🙄) or click back on moonie head 🌛and then it logged me back. Still a faff but less of one.

What I do @Bev is open up the homepage of the community in the browser via a bookmark, tap on the green ‘login/register’ button and it refreshes the page, and I’m magically logged in. No need to go via the ‘moon’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That must be what Wozeeta meant too then Marc. I’ll have to try that. One of the few tiny gripes that lets the new platty down IMO. Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Have to say, have hardly been logged out today unless logged purposefully out myself, but when it looks dodgy, like it’s going to refresh and log me out 🙄, if I cheekily and swiftly hit menu, it stays logged in. Weird but works 👍👍👍👍😂

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That must be what Wozeeta meant too then Marc.

Indeed it was!