Here’s a handy guide on how to read your SMETS2 and SMETS1 meters.
Second generation smart meters (SMETS2)
We’ll collect readings from your SMETS2 meters once a month, you don’t need to worry about sending your monthly meter readings.
If you’d like to send your readings for any reason, here’s how to read your meter:
For electricity you should send the kWh reading, and for gas the m3 reading.
We’re installing two types of meters. One is manufactured by Landis + Gyr, and one by EDMI. Check the front of your meter for the logo to see which one you have.
First generation smart meters (SMETS1)
Many first generation smart meters will only send readings to the supplier that installed the meter - this means you’ll need to send your monthly meter readings once you switch.
Here’s how to read your first generation smart meter:
- You don’t need to include any digits after the decimal point
- Many smart meter displays go blank and need to be ‘woken up’ by following the below steps:
SMETS1 meters with numeric keypads
To activate the display and show the current reading, press the number '9' on the meter keypad. Your current reading is the first number to be shown; you'll see a screen labelled 'IMP KWH' followed by a screen with your reading. It will be labelled ‘KWH’ on your electricity meter and ‘VOLUME’ on your gas meter (in cubic metres, or cu.m or m³).
If you have an Economy 7 smart meter, you will need to press the number ‘6’ to get your day (peak) and night (off-peak) readings. They are labelled ‘IMP R01’ and ‘IMP R02’ respectively.
SMETS1 meters with a green ‘A’ button
Press the green button until you see ‘TOTAL ACT IMPORT’ shown on the display. The next number shown is the current meter reading.
Note - if you were previously on the British Gas Home Energy Freetime tariff, you should give two readings. There are three simple steps to take:
1. Tap the green A button 3 or 4 times to go through the options.
2. Keep scrolling through options until the meter reading display screen shows 'total act import'. This shows your meter reading.
3. Press the button again and you will see 'R1' for the first rate reading, press the button again for 'R2', the second rate reading.
SMETS1 meters with ‘A’ and ‘B’ buttons
Press the ‘A’ button to activate the display. Wait until ‘meter index’ is shown; the number underneath is the current meter reading.