Solved

Why do I need to give meter readings when I have smart meters?

• 26 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Please can someone tell me why I need to give meter readings when I have smart meters.?

icon

Best answer by woz 26 November 2020, 14:42

hello @Bev Underwood 

Yes someone can tell you.

here is the explanation

https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/if-i-switch-supplier-will-my-smart-meter-work-10329

from above

Second generation smart meters (SMETS2)

If you've got second generation smart meters (known as 'SMETS2') these will stay smart when you switch to Pure Planet.

We'll ask for your opening readings. From then, we'll take a smart meter reading once a month.

You can also send manual meter readings at any time, if you want to.

So if it’s a 2nd gen once it’s configured you won’t have to send readings, but if it’s older you’ll have to wait for a fix. 

If it doesn’t start sending you can ask PP to configure it, if they can’t you only need to send readings once a month and even then if you miss the odd one it’s no big deal.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hello @Bev Underwood 

Yes someone can tell you.

here is the explanation

https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/if-i-switch-supplier-will-my-smart-meter-work-10329

from above

Second generation smart meters (SMETS2)

If you've got second generation smart meters (known as 'SMETS2') these will stay smart when you switch to Pure Planet.

We'll ask for your opening readings. From then, we'll take a smart meter reading once a month.

You can also send manual meter readings at any time, if you want to.

So if it’s a 2nd gen once it’s configured you won’t have to send readings, but if it’s older you’ll have to wait for a fix. 

If it doesn’t start sending you can ask PP to configure it, if they can’t you only need to send readings once a month and even then if you miss the odd one it’s no big deal.

Hi @Bev Underwood 

To repeat the answer I provided to another member today:

Not all ‘Smart Meters’ are created equal, which may be why Pure Planet aren’t using your readings.

So, before we can even really start to answer your questions, there’s the ‘what kind of Smart Meter do you have?’ issue:

In order of least to most awkward:

Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 2 (SMETS2) meters - should transfer data to Pure Planet automatically once the Data Communications Company (DCC) has configured things at the back end. Even then Pure Planet may request readings for the first few months, just in case there are any issues.

Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 1 (SMETS1) meters post ‘over the air upgrade’ - should transfer data to Pure Planet automatically once the Data Communications Company (DCC) has configured things at the back end. Even then Pure Planet may request readings for the first few months, just in case there are any issues.

Smart Metering Equipment Technical Specifications 1 (SMETS1) meters pre ‘over the air upgrade’ - will not transfer data to Pure Planet until it’s had the over the air upgrade.

Whichever specification your meter meets, once you change from the installing supplier, you will lose some functionality

Do you know which specification your Smart Meter is?

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Hi, I am really worried about my meter readings, I am not sure I am doing it right , I have smart meters yet I have to do readings it doesn’t make sense. I sent photos of my meters when my account was set up . Each reading I submit gives me a message tosay either too high or too low. I just need to actually speak to someone to talk me through it, I am having sleepless nights and in this current climate could do with the stress.

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Bev Underwood 

You were advised in your other post why you may need to submit meter readings with a smart meter.

When you submit readings, are you reading the meters correctly, maybe this link will help

If you are submitting the correct readings, there was an issue previously where an algorithm would detect an unexpected reading and give the warning stated, but, if you are sure the reading is correct submit them anyway, or isn't the system allowing you to do that

Hi @Bev Underwood 

Just to let you know, I’ve merged your posts together so they’re in one place. That makes it easier to find the great advice you’ve received from other Members, and helps avoid duplicate replies across the Community :slight_smile:

Absolutely spot on advice from @Duppy - fingers crossed the FAQ he’s linked to is helpful to you? It’s a guide to help you get your readings from your meters. 

Happy to help further if you’re still a bit worried!