We’re looking into IHD display issues reported by some Members in our Smart meters pilot

• Community Manager
  • 6295 replies
Just to let Members who are part of our Smart meter pilot know that we’re looking into an in-home display (IHD) issue.

Some Pure Planet Members who’ve had a second generation (aka ‘SMETS2’) meter installed by us are reporting that their energy use isn’t always showing on their IHD.

When we fit a SMETS2, we also install a ‘communication hub’ on top of the electricity meter. This creates a ‘home area network’ which means it can read your meter usage and display it on your IHD.

(The comms hub also sends the usage data to us, via wider data networks).

Right now our Smart meter team is investigating why some Members’ IHDs are not displaying their energy usage. There are a few occasions where the data has shown correctly for several days after installation — electricity data on the left hand side of the IHD and gas on the right, and the cost in £ — then stopped.

We believe that the issue is caused by connectivity issues between the comms hubs and the IHDs.

If this is happening to you, there are a few things you can do to:

• Firstly (and sorry about this!) try the classic IT solution to everything - switch your IHD off and on again.

• You should also move it closer to the comms hub which sits on top of your Smart electricity meter. Plug your IHD into the socket which is closest to your electricity meter
  • Check the signal strength by pressing the IHD's home button once while on the home screen then selecting ‘System status’ from the menu
  • If your IHD display is off, press any button and the screen should come back on. If it doesn’t then check the power cord to ensure it’s plugged in. If the IHD is being powered by batteries, they may need to be replaced. Batteries will last about 4 hours so you should use the power adaptor supplied with your IHD.
  • Check out this longer FAQ on using your new smart meter and IHD

If you’ve followed these steps and still not seeing any data on your IHD please contact our Member services team via WattBot in your account. It’s not a live-chat service but the team will reply within one working day.
When you message the team it would be great if you could have some info ready for us, as this will really help us to fix the issue. This includes:

• Has the IHD displayed your electricity and gas usage? If it was, but suddenly stopped showing the data, it would be great to know the date and time (approx) when it stopped.
  • Where is the IHD located and how far is it from the meter(s)?
  • Can you think of anything which might be blocking the communication between your meter(s) and the IHD, such as thick walls, large radiators?

Thanks again for taking part in our Smart meter pilot. We know some of you have experienced frustrations with installations. This has helped us smooth out some early teething issues before we start to roll these out to thousands of our Members.
:up:

32 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
@Duppy, thanks for this. As a new SM user, I was running to the meters a lot in the first few days just to check that the numbers made sense (a lot of stepladders and stooping). Now less running around. Downside: what shows on the IHD only reflects what we would send in as a reading, e.g. the gas reading only shows numbers truncated to integers. My gas meter is currently reading 7.861 m3 and the IHD reads 7 m3. I prefer more accurate readings, especially knowing that I'm closer to 8 than 7.

Duppy;32633:
X Driver,
Your Geo IHD does show meter readings, if you go into menu, scroll down to meters, select electricity or gas, you will find the meter info including readings
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
schase;38297:
@Duppy, thanks for this. As a new SM user, I was running to the meters a lot in the first few days just to check that the numbers made sense (a lot of stepladders and stooping). Now less running around. Downside: what shows on the IHD only reflects what we would send in as a reading, e.g. the gas reading only shows numbers truncated to integers. My gas meter is currently reading 7.861 m3 and the IHD reads 7 m3. I prefer more accurate readings, especially knowing that I'm closer to 8 than 7.

I can see what you mean, but we are told in the FAQ

How to read your smart meter, depending on your meter’s interface:

Note that you do NOT need to include any digits after a decimal point.
I understand that the fix for the Smart Meter is not Pure Planets but what was the point of installing me a Smart Meter and not telling me there might be an issue?
In fact, what was the point in asking me if I wanted one in the first place knowing that I live "north of Manchester"?
Presumably PP get a financial inducement because other than that this whole process is totally pointless.
The "Wattbot" help solution is, like the Smart Meter" installation, an excercise in completely ignoring the needs of the customer. Why should I go on a forum or speak to a computer programme when this is a known issue? A letter or email should be sent to each customer detailing the issues, state of play regarding a fix and some kind of apology to those affected. I'm not being needy, this is just good manners.

Terrible.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi Tony
​​​​​​​Once again I'm not going to be popular. I hate to say this but I agree with you. Unfortunately energy suppliers hands are tied by the government/ofgem re the installing of SM's, that many are not working isn't PP's fault, but sadly it has become their responsibility; there is no excuse for the poor communication to all customers who have had one fitted.
Remembering that it is a trial I have three comments to make:
1. I told you so, (not helpful I know) - I posted awhile back not quite in the same tones as your post but I said this issue would generate bad feeling from the customers and said the communication needed to be better to try to mitigate what was clearly, by the number of posts on here becoming a major issue.
2. There should have been big disclaimers with the trial, if only to warn customers that there could be issues.
3. We need more information from PP about what proportion of installs have resulted in issues, that way customers can make an informed decision rather than relying on the government drivel that's being propogated about SM's. (They don't and won't save customers any money in the vast majority of installs, but I don't blame PP for that)

TonyRiv;41493:
I understand that the fix for the Smart Meter is not Pure Planets but what was the point of installing me a Smart Meter and not telling me there might be an issue?
In fact, what was the point in asking me if I wanted one in the first place knowing that I live "north of Manchester"?
Presumably PP get a financial inducement because other than that this whole process is totally pointless.
The "Wattbot" help solution is, like the Smart Meter" installation, an excercise in completely ignoring the needs of the customer. Why should I go on a forum or speak to a computer programme when this is a known issue? A letter or email should be sent to each customer detailing the issues, state of play regarding a fix and some kind of apology to those affected. I'm not being needy, this is just good manners.

Terrible.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​

​​​​​​​Mine was installed yesterday. It isn't working and the system status says this. The device is about 4 ft away from the meter which is on the other side of the wall.
My issue seems to be slightly different. Gas and Electric usage was updating but then the Gas usage has frozen for a few days now. When I say frozen I mean it's stuck on a ridiculous figure. Apparently with no gas appliances running, I'm using 252 kwhrs. Electricity reading updates every ten seconds or so, gas doesn't at all. If the IHD is getting its figures from the Smart meter, how do I know the smart meter is measuring my usage correctly?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi ChrisBaz

Welcome to the community.
It does look like this is related to the IHD problems reported, you could try turning it off/ on to reset it or wait until the proposed update is carried out.
​​​​​​​You can take meter readings direct from the meter itself ( recommended ) and monitor your usage, you will probably find that the readings are within the expected range