Some Pure Planet Members who’ve had a second generation (aka ‘SMETS2’) meter installed by us are reporting that their energy use isn’t always showing on their IHD.
When we fit a SMETS2, we also install a ‘communication hub’ on top of the electricity meter. This creates a ‘home area network’ which means it can read your meter usage and display it on your IHD.
(The comms hub also sends the usage data to us, via wider data networks).
Right now our Smart meter team is investigating why some Members’ IHDs are not displaying their energy usage. There are a few occasions where the data has shown correctly for several days after installation — electricity data on the left hand side of the IHD and gas on the right, and the cost in £ — then stopped.
We believe that the issue is caused by connectivity issues between the comms hubs and the IHDs.
If this is happening to you, there are a few things you can do to:
- Firstly (and sorry about this!) try the classic IT solution to everything - switch your IHD off and on again.
- You should also move it closer to the comms hub which sits on top of your Smart electricity meter. Plug your IHD into the socket which is closest to your electricity meter
- Check the signal strength by pressing the IHD's home button once while on the home screen then selecting ‘System status’ from the menu
- If your IHD display is off, press any button and the screen should come back on. If it doesn’t then check the power cord to ensure it’s plugged in. If the IHD is being powered by batteries, they may need to be replaced. Batteries will last about 4 hours so you should use the power adaptor supplied with your IHD.
- Check out this longer FAQ on using your new smart meter and IHD
If you’ve followed these steps and still not seeing any data on your IHD please contact our Member services team via WattBot in your account. It’s not a live-chat service but the team will reply within one working day.
When you message the team it would be great if you could have some info ready for us, as this will really help us to fix the issue. This includes:
- Has the IHD displayed your electricity and gas usage? If it was, but suddenly stopped showing the data, it would be great to know the date and time (approx) when it stopped.
- Where is the IHD located and how far is it from the meter(s)?
- Can you think of anything which might be blocking the communication between your meter(s) and the IHD, such as thick walls, large radiators?
Thanks again for taking part in our Smart meter pilot. We know some of you have experienced frustrations with installations. This has helped us smooth out some early teething issues before we start to roll these out to thousands of our Members.