Update on progress with upgrading first-generation (SMETS1) smart meters to the second-generation (SMETS2) network

Hi everyone, 

I wanted to provide you with an update on upgrading SMETS1 meters to the SMETS2 network. 

This is the work being coordinated by the Ofgem-regulated Data Communications Company (DCC), to make SMETS1 meters ‘smart’ again, even if you’ve switched suppliers. 

The DCC is now advising all energy suppliers that they’re anticipating the work to upgrade SMETS1 meters will be finished by the end of December 2021. The further delays are due to the range of issues being discovered that’re specific to each different model of SMETS1 meter. This means there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. 

We understand this is frustrating for Members with ‘dumb’ SMETS1 meters. You can take your meter readings directly from your meters and send them to us each month - this’ll ensure we can send you more accurate monthly statements, until your meter becomes smart again. We have a guide on how to take your meter readings in our Community FAQs to help with this. 

We’ve also updated our guide to switching suppliers with SMETS1 meters in our FAQs. 

So far, roughly 40% of all SMETS1 meters on supply with Pure Planet have been upgraded to the SMETS2 network. Once your SMETS1 meter has been upgraded, you’ll see ‘smart’ readings under ‘usage’ > ‘view readings’, plus you’ll stop receiving monthly reading reminders (hooray!). 

Any questions? Let’s chat about them in the replies below.

15 replies

I realise it’s hard to be specific about the timing of the roll out of smart meters but can you give an idea of the order of regions you are working through and whether the roll out is on target?

Hey @RobinG 

Thanks for posting. :slight_smile:

The upgrading of older SMETS1 meters to the SMETS2 network is being carried out by meter type, not by location. 

The start dates as advised for the DCC are: 

• Itron and Aclara - these models have begun being connected to the SMETS2 network. A limited number of Elster Honeywell models are being included in this first phase, too
  • Secure - these models have begun being connected to the SMETS2 network from September 2020
  • Elster - these models have begun being connected to the SMETS2 network
  • EDMI and L&G (Landis+Gyr) - these models have begun being connected to the SMETS2 network from December 2020

That info is also available in this FAQ. 

If you’re referring to the installation of new SMETS2 meters, these are currently being installed by our partner Magnum Utilities on a regional basis, depending on engineer availability.

I wouldn’t be able to provide a specific region by region breakdown - but if you’d like smart meters installed, for example because you’re getting an EV, you can let our Member Services know under ‘get help and support’ > ‘ask a question’ in your account. They’ll be able to check this out for you. :thumbsup:

I asked the question but “smartbot” redirected me. I have Secure SMET1 meters and would like them upgraded. I have an electric car.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@RobinG 

As the post above states Secure SMETS1 meter upgrade started from September 2020. The actual upgrades are the responsibility of the DCC and PP have no control over when they will get done

Userlevel 2

@RobinG

As the post above states Secure SMETS1 meter upgrade started from September 2020. The actual upgrades are the responsibility of the DCC and PP have no control over when they will get done

Yeah, and you can’t get hold of anyone at DCC to find out what might be going on either, and they won’t tell PP how well they’re progressing.

I’ve been waiting *months* for my meter to become “smart”, and even then I’m going to have to fork out for an IHD because the previous owner decided not to get one installed at the same time as they had the meter fitted.

What’s even more frustrating is that I’m already running a Zigbee network in the house for my home automation setup, so I’ve got all the kit I need to read the meter, just no way of doing so!

Hi. I have a SMETS1 given to me by British Gas . This will be my 2nd year with pp and I am still waiting to be upgraded. I couldn't find any of those names mentioned on your replys . However I presume this will still be done by December.? Will it automatically come on and do I keep it switched on till then? 

Hey @Ellams 

It sounds like you may be looking at your In-Home Device, rather than the meters themselves? 

You’d need to check the meters on the walls for a model name, which should then be listed above. Your smart meters will look something like this…

And are usually in a cupboard, or in a meter box outside. 

All the upgrade work happens ‘over the air’, so you don’t need to do anything. :slight_smile:

Mine started working a few months ago and has now stopped working. It was a god send for a while as I could send the reading from the IHD rather than crawling on the ground trying to see the reading on my gas meter

I have arthritis in both hands also in both knees and I have real problems getting down and up when taking readings  is there a way to speed up my smets1 meter upgrade the meter is a L&G model

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have arthritis in both hands also in both knees and I have real problems getting down and up when taking readings  is there a way to speed up my smets1 meter upgrade the meter is a L&G model

Hi @Brucew1939 
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

PP are rolling out smart meters region by region, you will be contacted when they are in your region.

Heres a link which may help you:
https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/can-i-have-a-smart-meter-10328

In the mean time,  have you considered signing up to the Priority register? :

https://community.purepla.net/extra-support-50/how-can-i-be-added-to-the-priority-services-register-10363

Extract:

Examples of the services that may be available are:

• More frequent meter reading visits, for those who have trouble accessing or reading the meter.

My mum gets stressed by the requests to read her meter even though she’s on the Priority service register. I keep saying just leave trying and don’t worry about the estimates. Maybe I should cc you into my emails to her @Brucew1939? 😉 

Just figured out that you DO NOT read Smart Meters, you only read a subset of Smart meters, hmmm….  Not quite reality meeting the marketing is it!!  I wondered why I kept getting requests for readings, assumed poor system design on your point, not just misinformation from the outset.  After 8 months, now around £200 in arrears by my reckoning.  Thanks PP, when does the contract term end? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Just figured out that you DO NOT read Smart Meters, you only read a subset of Smart meters, hmmm….  Not quite reality meeting the marketing is it!!  I wondered why I kept getting requests for readings, assumed poor system design on your point, not just misinformation from the outset.  After 8 months, now around £200 in arrears by my reckoning.  Thanks PP, when does the contract term end? 

@Fraz 

I wondered why I kept getting requests for readings, assumed poor system design on your point.

I don’t think  PP are responsible for your assumptions.

The issue  of SM migration is National, the same  hyperbole is used by everyone, the same issues are faced by everyone.

Also you had statements every month which will have shown that readings were estimated , or did you just assume they were a system error too? You should have had a review at 6 months, what did it say? If PP hadn’t had readings I’m sure they will have asked for them in order to properly check if your balance was on track.

If you are on a  1 year fixed term contract you can switch away without penalty 315 days from when your contract started or put another way 50 days or fewer from the end date.

You need to ask for an account review because your consumption is higher than what you were quoted for and it would be better to try and clear the arrears (or some of them) before you switch. I’m afraid you’re in for a bit of a shock because your next renewal is likely to be up to 50% higher than your previous quote (30 to 40% price increase and the rest because your consumption more than you were quoted for originally)

Hi,

I have a version 1 meter, but I am not sure PP know that. Can I tell someone, so that we are put on the plan to roll over to SM version 2?

Hi @IBD

Your meter will be remotely upgraded to allow it to send readings again. This should happen by the end of the year. You can discuss this will PP.

In the app tap Help then Ask a Question. Now tell the Wattbot machine your situation. It likely won’t understand, so type Message the team to get the attention of a real human.

They should reply in a few days.