Solved

SMETS2 underfloor heating

• 8 October 2020
  • 7 replies

I read in an earlier post that households with under floor heating would not be eligible for meter upgrade.  Is this correct and if so please can you explain the logic.

icon

Best answer by woz 8 October 2020, 17:34

hi @Jolyon 

it isn’t related per se to whether you have underfloor heating, it’s related to how any electric heating is switched on. If the meter has 2 tails in and 2 out and any timing or switching is done by external switches it would be fine, but if the meter does the timing and it has a 3rd wire out that times or switches the heating then it isn’t suitable.

This applies to any electrical heating not just underfloor. So if you have full control over when the heating is on it’s probably OK. Have a look at the meter and see if its 2 in 2 out or 2 in 3 out.

I don’t work for PP

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Jolyon 

it isn’t related per se to whether you have underfloor heating, it’s related to how any electric heating is switched on. If the meter has 2 tails in and 2 out and any timing or switching is done by external switches it would be fine, but if the meter does the timing and it has a 3rd wire out that times or switches the heating then it isn’t suitable.

This applies to any electrical heating not just underfloor. So if you have full control over when the heating is on it’s probably OK. Have a look at the meter and see if its 2 in 2 out or 2 in 3 out.

I don’t work for PP

Hi Woz - Ah I understand. I think you are referring to electric underfloor heating.  If it is wet UFH heated by the gas boiler would the same restriction apply ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Woz - Ah I understand. I think you are referring to electric underfloor heating.  If it is wet UFH heated by the gas boiler would the same restriction apply ?

hi @Jolyon no, the type of meter would be irrelevant in that case.

(I did say electric heating in my reply above, but I admit I assumed that’s what you meant)

Late edit, if you were merely asked whether you had underfloor heating as part of the filtering out process (I don’t know if that’s the case?) then the question is wrongly phrased, so just answer no if it’s gas powered.

Thank you 👍

So to understand that I have understood you correctly. If there is electric UFH or storage heaters then this would likely mean they would not upgrade from SMETS1 due to the possible complications with how they were powered from the meter.

For gas UFH there would not be any constraints on SMETS1 upgrade.

Thank you for clarification

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thank you 👍

So to understand that I have understood you correctly. If there is electric UFH or storage heaters then this would likely mean they would not upgrade from SMETS1 due to the possible complications with how they were powered from the meter.

For gas UFH there would not be any constraints on SMETS1 upgrade.

Thank you for clarification

hi @Jolyon 

No, that’s not really what I said, not every installation of electric heating has the meter timed option. If you’re on an 2 rate (for example economy 7 or 10) tariff and your heating is set to come on off-peak then it’s likely you won’t be able to have one but there are many houses with UFH that would be fine as they have control 24 hours over whether the UFH or electric heating is on.

Night storage heaters are the most likely candidate to be excluded.

As said, look at your meter, if in doubt post a photo.

Are you on a single rate meter (not tariff, but meter)?

Gas powered ufh would never exclude having a SM.

Hi @Jolyon 

Pure Planet will not upgrade your meters from SMETS1 to SMETS2, and I very much doubt any other provider will either, SMETS1 meters are due to undergo a DCC mandated ‘over the air’ upgrade to give them SMETS2 capabilities, this is being rolled out by manufacturer, but has been delayed by CoVid-19.

These are the current start date estimates for this work, as advised by the DCC:
Models: 

• Itron and Aclara - these models have begun being connected to the SMETS2 network. A limited number of Elster Honeywell models are being included in this first phase, too
  • Secure - these models have begun being connected to the SMETS2 network from September 2020
  • Elster - these models have begun being connected to the SMETS2 network
  • EDMI and L&G (Landis+Gyr) - due to start in December 2019, delayed until December 2020

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Jolyon @Gwyndy 

I’m obviously confused, the  post title said smets2, but in any event although I missed the subtlety of it suddenly changing to smets1 part way through the post (well spotted) my answer remains the same. normal 4 wire Smets1 meters will eventually be upgraded  by firmware updates, whether the same updates will apply to those installations where economy 7  timing or similar is involved is anyone’s guess. If they are going to be (upgraded) in the latter circumstances, given the way things have gone so far I wouldn’t hold yer breath… is my guess…

Just to disambiguate @Gwyndy When you said “ Pure Planet will not upgrade your meters from SMETS1 to SMETS2” you meant Pure Planet will not replace your meters updating them from SMETS1 to SMETS2” I apologise if you think that’s  a bit picky but they will be upgraded/updated, or perhaps PP will play no part in this update and you’ll wake up one morning to the sound of silence (not the Simon &Garfunkle version but the no alarm clock version) and find you’ve been remotely disconnected….