Hot Topic

Smart meters with Pure Planet update - we're installing them again as Covid-19 lockdown restrictions ease

• Community Manager
  • 6147 replies

Hi everyone,

Now the Covid-19 pandemic lockdown restrictions are beginning to ease, we’re able to start installing second generation smart meters again.

We and our smart meter partners, Magnum Utilities, have been working to ensure that Members’ safety, and engineers’ safety, is the priority.

Pure Planet Members who had SMETS2 appointments cancelled in March due to the lockdown will be contacted first. We’re also getting in touch with those taking part in our EV pilot.

Due to ongoing Covid-19 related restrictions there’s going to be some small changes to the way we carry out smart meter (SMETS2) installations, and I wanted to give you all a bit more information here in the community.

Remember that the following applies to all our Members, including those with outdoor meters, as the smart meter installation requires safety checks and the switching off of main appliances indoors.

Booking the appointment by phone
As well as the usual checks about having access to the meter and nearby parking for the engineer, we’ll be asking whether there’s anyone in the property who is vulnerable and at high risk of serious illness.
If there’s someone in your home who needs to remain isolated, please tell us so we can put your appointment on hold until it’s safe for someone to come out. We’re following the latest Government advice not to carry out non-essential works in any household where someone is ‘shielding’ from Covid-19.

Before installation day
Contact Magnum Utilities urgently if anyone in your home develops Covid-19 symptoms between your telephone booking call and the appointment.
You’ll find Magnum’s contact details on the email and text messages they’ll send you to confirm your appointment.

Installation day - getting your home ready
The same rules apply as before Covid-19 in that there must be someone at home over 18, and your meter must be accessible.
We’d also like Members to open doors and windows to allow for extra fresh air.
Remember to observe social distancing.

Installation day - what the engineer will do before your new meter is fitted
All Magnum engineers will be wearing face masks and using hand sanitiser.
Please let your engineer know where’s the best place to park. If they need a permit it would be great to get one ready for them if you can.
Before stepping inside, the engineer will double-check with you that no one has been displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 in the last 14 days, and there’s nobody at high-risk in your home.]
The engineer will stay socially distanced - that means he or she won’t shake your hand, or accept a cup of tea!
Before the installation the engineer will switch off electricity and gas.

During the installation
During the smart meter installation please keep your distance! Ideally stay in a different room.
The smart meter will also be wiped clean.

After the installation
The new rules mean that the engineer won’t be able to take you through the step by step guide to using your In-Home Display (the little screen which connects to your smart meter and displays energy usage).
We’ll email you a guide which can also be accessed in our FAQs here. As well as IHD instructions, the guide includes usual energy saving tips.
They won’t ask for a signature on their handheld device.

Other useful info
We’re happy to see that the Magnum smart meter engineers are able to go back to work, and we’re grateful for our Members’ patience during the Covid-19 lockdown.
Of course, we’re going to be careful not to place anybody’s safety at risk. That means if an engineer suspects he or she may have contracted Covid-19 they’ll have to self-isolate at home, and that could mean some appointments will be cancelled at shorter notice than usual.

That's it for now. We’ll of course update this post if and when the Covid-19 impact changes, or if the Government changes its guidance for energy suppliers. We’re regularly reviewing all our Member services impacted by the pandemic.

Update 31/07/20

Magnum Utilities are back to full strength for meter maintenance work.
They’re working within Government guidelines when local ‘spikes’ are reported in different parts of the UK, and new lockdown restrictions come into force.

I’ve updated our FAQs about smart meters and about general meter maintenance.

Stay safe everyone.

Update 17/08/20

Magnum have started installing SMETS2 smart meters in Scotland again, along with Wales and England.

31 replies

Hi,

How do I book a smart meter installation?

Is the model being installed transferrable to other providers if I ever need to switch in the future?

Can my main fuse be updated to the latest design at the same time as smart meter install?

i.e. I already have a 100A fuse, but its old and rough looking. So why not update it as part of one engineer visit.

Hi,

How do I book a smart meter installation?

Is the model being installed transferrable to other providers if I ever need to switch in the future?

Can my main fuse be updated to the latest design at the same time as smart meter install?

i.e. I already have a 100A fuse, but its old and rough looking. So why not update it as part of one engineer visit.

This is all sorted now - someone from Pure Planet emailed me. Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I only have the smart meter for the electric supply. Doing it for gas was beyond Magnum’s ability for it meant unscrewing a clip that secures the earth wire to the gas pipe and putting it back when the new meter was installed. It seems if I do it myself before and after the visit then they are happy. Twice they called and twice they would not do it! They were meant to come back a third time if I arranged to remove the earth wire (yes I would do it!) but Lockdown out a hold on it. I wonder if they will return!

Hi all

Magnum Utilities are back to full strength for meter maintenance work.
They’re working within Government guidelines when local ‘spikes’ are reported in different parts of the UK, and new lockdown restrictions come into force.

I’ve updated our FAQs about smart meters and about general meter maintenance.

Stay safe everyone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Marc shouldn’t this thread be limited to your updates, and a separate thread for magnum related queries? Announcements are in danger of getting lost in the noise or vice-versa (not pejorative noise).

@Marc shouldn’t this thread be limited to your updates, and a separate thread for magnum related queries? Announcements are in danger of getting lost in the noise or vice-versa (not pejorative noise).

That’s a great shout @woz 

I’m not keen on placing limits or closing the thread, but I’ve moved some into new conversations, and updated the ‘main’ post too :thumbsup:

Right now we’re restricted to England and Wales only. We’re still waiting for the go-ahead in Scotland.

I have just joined Pure Planet and would like to switch to smart meters but live in Scotland. Any idea about how long it will be till the you get the go-ahead?

Hi, i’d been asking to take part in trails etc and heard nothing and i’m desperate to get a smart meter installed as our meters are a pain to read! We’re in South Birmingham, can anyone confirm if they’ve meters installed in the midlands? 

Right now we’re restricted to England and Wales only. We’re still waiting for the go-ahead in Scotland.

I have just joined Pure Planet and would like to switch to smart meters but live in Scotland. Any idea about how long it will be till the you get the go-ahead?

Hey @Ewan 

We’re still waiting for confirmation to be able to resume appointments in Scotland - sorry about that. We’ll be sure to update the Community once we have any update on this!

Hi, i’d been asking to take part in trails etc and heard nothing and i’m desperate to get a smart meter installed as our meters are a pain to read! We’re in South Birmingham, can anyone confirm if they’ve meters installed in the midlands? 

Have you checked out our FAQ about getting a smart meter installed?:slight_smile:  If you’ve filled in the ‘interested in smart?’ form, we’ll be in touch once there are engineers available in the area.

If you’re struggling to read your meters it may be worth getting in touch with our Member Services team, too, so they can take a look into this for you :thumbsup:

Hello @Major Owned 

Yep, SMETS2 are the 2nd generation models which work with any supplier, not just the supplier who installs it. :thumbsup:

Hey @Ewan 

Just to let you know that Magnum are, from this week, installing them in Scotland again. I’ve updated the main post, above. 

There’ll be a backlog of cancelled installations they’ll be working through. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update. 

Hi, 

i haven’t been able to locate the ‘interested in smart form’ you mentioned in your reply a few days ago. Is it possible to add a link in to a reply please?

thanks

Karl. 

Hi, 

i haven’t been able to locate the ‘interested in smart form’ you mentioned in your reply a few days ago. Is it possible to add a link in to a reply please?

thanks

Karl. 

Hey @Host 2012 It’s a link to an FAQ article:thumbsup:

In this thread, i cannot see anywhere to fill in the form mentioned by you a few days ago. 

“If you’ve filled in the ‘interested in smart?’ form, we’ll be in touch once there are engineers available in the area”

The FAQ’s reference a process whereby I’d see a moon if you think I’m eligible, however i’m yet to see this moon and want to get on the waiting list to get a meter installed ASAP. 

Can the form or link to the form not be simply added to a reply please. 

Thanks

Karl

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Nataly I thought the form was no longer extant? 

Hi @Host 2012  @woz 

Since the pause of our smart meters roll-out due to COVID-19, we’ve changed the way we’re getting in touch about smart meters. 

I’ve now updated our FAQ to reflect this change - sorry for any confusion caused @Host 2012.

We’re now focusing region by region and have several teams moving around the country to focus on different locations.

For Pure Planet, this has proved the most efficient way to get new meters to as many people as possible with the numbers of engineers we have. Availability of engineers and ability to book in new appointments was impacted by COVID-19 restrictions - Magnum are now working through a backlog of smart metering appointments. 

This means we’ll contact you when there are engineers available in your region :thumbsup:

Hi i have just transferred over from British Gas, I had smet 2 meters installed by them, the electricity is all good and still working but the gas smart system was never commissioned, they were intending coming back to rectify this before lockdown hit.

How do I go about getting the gas smart meter commissioned and up and running.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi i have just transferred over from British Gas, I had smet 2 meters installed by them, the electricity is all good and still working but the gas smart system was never commissioned, they were intending coming back to rectify this before lockdown hit.

hi @Gsross 

use help and support in app or online to send a message to the team, persist through bot replies until it says your message is going to the team.

I did that a couple of weeks ago but heard nothing. Will try again now.

Thanks

hi @Gsross 

use help and support in app or online to send a message to the team, persist through bot replies until it says your message is going to the team.

I did that a couple of weeks ago but heard nothing. Will try again now.

When can I have a smart meter 

I recently joined Pure Planet on a dual fuel basis and would like to apply for smart meters to be fitted. What is the process. Do I need to initiate anything by applying. Can you advise on timescales. 

Regards

Roy