Smart meters - will yours work, how to read them, how to get one, and other FAQs

• 8 February 2018
  • 38 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6192 replies

There are lots of different smart meters on the market and newer models are coming soon. To help members who have questions about their existing meter or are thinking about getting one, we have compiled this handy guide.
There is more info in our FAQ section on smart meters - including how to use your Pure Planet smart meter, what happens if you've got a smart meter already, and how to register your interest in getting one.

What is a smart meter?

It's a digital meter. It takes automatic meter readings and sends you helpful information on the pattern of your energy use. It means your energy account is always up to date.

Will Pure Planet support my smart meter?

If you have a first generation smart meter (known as 'SMETS1'), the smart functionality is currently only available from the supplier that installed the meter. Check out this FAQ on when SMETS1 will be upgraded to the SMETS2 network.

As soon as you switch supplier, your in-home display will no longer update, and the readings will not be sent to your new supplier by the meter.

This means you will need to send us meter readings manually until we roll out newer and better smart meters to all members.

Second generation smart meters (called ‘SMETS2’) became available from 2019.

We're gradually offering SMETS2 smart meters to our Members. There is more information about
smart meter support in our FAQs section.

Do I have to have a smart meter?

No. But when the second generation of smart meters are rolled out it will allow us collect readings remotely, saving members the hassle of submitting a reading each month.

How to read your smart meter, depending on your meter’s interface:

Note that you do NOT need to include any digits after a decimal point.

Smart meters with numeric keypads

To activate the display and show the current reading, press the number '9' on the meter keypad. Your current reading is the first number to be shown; it will be labelled ‘IMP KWH’ on your electricity meter and ‘VOLUME’ on your gas meter (in cubic metres, or cu.m or m³​​​​​​​).

If you have an Economy 7 smart meter, you will need to press the number ‘6’ to get your day and night readings. They are labelled ‘IMP R01’ and ‘IMP R02’ respectively.

Smart meters with a green 'A' button

Press the green button until you see ‘TOTAL ACT IMPORT’ shown on the display. The next number shown is the current meter reading.

Note - if you were previously on the British Gas Home Energy Freetime tariff, you should give two readings. There are three simple steps to take:

1. Tap the green A button 3 or 4 times to go through the options.
2. Keep scrolling through options until the meter reading display screen shows 'total act import'. This shows your meter reading.
3. Press the button again and you will see 'R1' for the first rate reading, press the button again for 'R2', the second rate reading.

Smart meters with 'A' and 'B' buttons

Press the ‘A’ button to activate the display. Wait until ‘meter index’ is shown; the number underneath is the current meter reading.

When will Pure Planet fit my smart meter?

We aim to upgrade all members to a next generation smart meter as soon as possible, and we will notify members once we are ready to start installations.

See this FAQ on how to register your interest in getting a smart meter.

My meter needs to be moved. What do I do?

To arrange for an electricity meter to be moved, you will need to contact your Distribution Network Operator (DNO).

To arrange for a gas meter to be moved, you will need to contact your Gas Transporter. In most cases this will be National Grid.

There is more info about moving home in our FAQs section.

Got any other questions about smart meters? Add yours in this thread and we'll get them answered!

38 replies

Hi
I understand from British Gas (October 2016) that in some buildings which were built in the 19th century and constructed with stone, with meters located in a cellar or basement, that smart meters do not work as the signal cannot penetrate the stone. Presumably that related to the first generation of smart meters. Are the second generation of smart meters likely to be able to overcome this problem? lageze
Userlevel 6
Hi @lageze , that's a good question for that type of environment. As you have probably concluded yourself, radio signals will struggle in an "underground" location, add stone walls to that, it gets even harder. However, I found this technical description https://www.smartme.co.uk/how-they-work.html which does talk about the SMETS2 meters. My thought is that if the Communication Hub could be located "upstairs", it ought to be able to communicate through the floor boards to the meters. Then, will it be able to go through the stones walls and communicate outside the house back to the supplier?

More questions than answers 😉, perhaps a reason for Pure trialing this type of environment?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi everyone,
I had a smart meter installed by EDF back in March this year - how can I tell if it’s SMETS1 or SMETS2?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
OK everyone,
I found a useful website to identify most meters:

https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html#eanda

However, not a great read if you want excitement etc. etc.. 😄😄
Do pure planet actually have smart meters yet, I’ve been with you two months but not had any information about getting one or how to request one ? Any info would be great
Userlevel 5
Eve96;19650:
Do pure planet actually have smart meters yet, I’ve been with you two months but not had any information about getting one or how to request one ? Any info would be great

You can find more info on current situation in the welcome and latest news section.
JennyR68;19727:
You can find more info on current situation in the welcome and latest news section.

Nice one @JennyR68 :foldedhands:
Check this out @Eve96
Hi, I have a smart meter (previously installed by eon) which gives readings in kWh. I believe I have to submit my meter readings in kWh for electricity and m3 for gas. Is there an easier way to submit gas readings without doing the maths?! Thanks!
Hi @TAG931
That smart meter will be 1st generation which means it goes 'dumb' when you switch supplier.
Ignore the in-home display, get the cubic meters reading from the actual gas meter. Submit the reading as m3 (we do the conversion to kWh for you).
Here's a bit more info from our FAQs.
I moved into a property a few months ago with an existing smart meter. I have just realised that I have been taking the gas readings incorrectly (reading IMP KWH instead of Volume) so my readings are now lower than previously. Can this be rectified/noted on my account as an explanation? Thanks
philglenny;20790:
I moved into a property a few months ago with an existing smart meter. I have just realised that I have been taking the gas readings incorrectly (reading IMP KWH instead of Volume) so my readings are now lower than previously. Can this be rectified/noted on my account as an explanation? Thanks

Hi @philglenny
No worries. You should start sending us the correct meter readings asap. Your app allows for one every 24 hours (but once a month is fine!).
Use WattBot in your app to send us a message, so that one of our Member services team can check it out. 🆙
I would like to know how to correctly submit meter readings from my smart meter? Thank you, Anna
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Katarina;32855:
I would like to know how to correctly submit meter readings from my smart meter? Thank you, Anna

Hi Anna
As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community! When you post here you are talking to your fellow customers, not directly to Pure Planet. But many of them will do what they can to help.

It's a little difficult to offer advice on your post - did you have a smart meter before switching to Pure Planet? If so, you will need to read the meter and submit readings via the app or website. There's advice about reading your meter in the post that is at the top of this thread.

If that doesn't help, come back and post some more information about the problem.

Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Katarina (or Anna)
are you asking how to read the smart meter or how to use the app (or online) to enter them.
The app is intuitive so I'm guessing you need to read the meters. Have a read of THIS and post back if you're still not sure.
It's as simple as pressing a button to wake up the meter and looking at a screen on the meter. The gas meter gives a reading in cu.m (cubic metres) that's what you enter in the app, the electric in kWh (killowatt hours) it probaly says tot.imp. on the screen (or total import).
Katarina;32855:
Seems to be a link missing there @woz 😕
Were you thinking of this FAQ about reading old smart meters which are currently 'dumb'?
Hope it helps @Katarina 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Sorry about that, yes that was the link.
Marc;32909:
Seems to be a link missing there @woz 😕
Were you thinking of this FAQ about reading old smart meters which are currently 'dumb'?
Hope it helps @Katarina 🆙
Hi there, I recently had a new SMETS2 smart meter installed by my current energy provider (Bulb) but am now thinking of switching to Pure planet. Can you let me know if my smart meter will work with you too please?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Miklav
If by work you mean send readings to PP then the answer is not initially, it may be tweaked eventually so it does. It will continue to meter it's just that you'll have to read them (or it) manually once a month.
miklav;34914:
Hi there, I recently had a new SMETS2 smart meter installed by my current energy provider (Bulb) but am now thinking of switching to Pure planet. Can you let me know if my smart meter will work with you too please?
Ah, that's really disappointing. On that basis I'll likely stick with my current supplier and look out for the time when things can be switched more easily. thanks for your response.

woz;34951:
hi Miklav
If by work you mean send readings to PP then the answer is not initially, it may be tweaked eventually so it does. It will continue to meter it's just that you'll have to read them (or it) manually once a month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
thanks for the reply
​ it's still in the trial stage it will come eventually, although reading your meter once a month isn't a big impediment (of course there are exceptions).
miklav;34993:
Ah, that's really disappointing. On that basis I'll likely stick with my current supplier and look out for the time when things can be switched more easily. thanks for your response.
I have a smart meter in my new home but do not have a digital usage meter from OP and still send in readings ? Can you not accept smart meter readings direct and do you not supply usage digital meters to show how much is being used.
tjdaz1;37705:
I have a smart meter in my new home but do not have a digital usage meter from OP and still send in readings ? Can you not accept smart meter readings direct and do you not supply usage digital meters to show how much is being used.

Hi @tjdaz1
Check out this FAQ which has more info 🆙
I have just switched to you and have a smart meter (SMETS2) from my old supplier, but it never worked. Would you provide a new one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
https://community.purepla.net/threads/7638-Smart-meter2?p=40080#post40080
RoubaixElite;40083:
I have just switched to you and have a smart meter (SMETS2) from my old supplier, but it never worked. Would you provide a new one?
We have a Smart Meter under the pilot roll out. Is anyone else having a problem with the indoor information box not connecting to the meters? Ours seemed to work immediately after installation, but has not been able to show any data since.