Smart meters update - our progress with new L+G meters in the North

• 26 November 2019
  • 52 replies

Hi everyone,

We’ve got an update to share with Community members on our testing of different smart meters in the North.

At the start of October we began trialling L+G meters in the North, as we’d seen success with these in the other two smart areas (‘Central’ & ‘South’). The aim of this trial was to see if there was an improvement in connectivity with these meters.

Unfortunately, so far we haven’t seen a large improvement with these meters. Issues with the comms hub and connectivity to the Arqiva network are ongoing.

In the world of smart meters, the North is defined as anywhere from Liverpool/Manchester and above. Anywhere south of here is the Central and South region.

How does this affect Members?

If this has affected you, it’ll mean that your IHD won’t be displaying any information, and we won’t be receiving smart meter readings for your account.

You can still take manual readings from your meters and send these to us each month - this’ll help keep your monthly statements on track with your usage, instead of estimated readings.

There’s a guide on how to get your SMETS2 smart meter readings in our FAQs here.

Due to the issues we’ve been experiencing, for now we’re not installing SMETS2 meters in rural areas such as the Highlands in Scotland. This is because there’s an increased likelihood of weak connectivity to the Arqiva network in these areas.

Moving forward, we’re investigating the installation of small aerials alongside your SMETS2 meter. They can increase the chance of picking up a signal, meaning a greater chance of successful connectivity. They connect to the comms hub via a thin cable and are 6.5” or 14.6” in size.

​​​​​​​
Any questions? Let’s chat about them in the replies below!

52 replies

Thanks for the update.

How do I actually apply for smets2 installation?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
andee;43482:
Thanks for the update.

How do I actually apply for smets2 installation?

​​​​​​​There is a link in the post above
Hey @andee

Good question! Nice one for posting👍

This FAQ should help🙂
I'm up for having an aerial fitted to my SMETS2 meters if it'll get them working. In inner city Leeds, the signal shouldn't be poor, but still, am happy to give this possible solution a whirl..
Our IHD initially displayed electric ok when we only had an electric smart meter.

When the gas smart meter was installed the electric stopped displaying and it's never shown since.

sso we have reliable gas display but no electric display.

I'm convinced it's a setting on the meter as it was working for a few weeks ( there was a delay in installation of our gas meter due to lack of knowledge by the installation engineer).

if our experiences are anything to go by some of the issues are down to the installation company and not the hardware.

is there anything a customer can try to kick start a connection between electric meter and IHD?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi KevinandSylvie
​​​​​​​Have you tried using Wattbot and typing IHD problem in the text box. The bot will go through some checks you can try and send the problem through to the smart meter team, who may try to reconnect it remotely.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
I currently have a SMET1 from British Gas installed 3/4 yrs ago. It does display some data but within the last few months the values became much lower than they had with no reduction in usage by my family. Unless I have misread from previous threads/posts I will not be offered a new SMET2, so who can I ask to come and check my current meter is it pp , who I currently pay for my energy or BG who provided the meter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Daspy,
Are these lower values displayed on the meter itself, or the IHD. If the latter and your actual meter readings are as expected, I would ignore it, as the IHD will not be updated with PP's tariff information.
​​​​​​​The meter itself is the suppliers responsibility, but it would only be checked if faulty ie: not recording or recording incorrectly, buzzing or getting hot. The failure to display information on the IHD would not be regarded as a fault
Yes done that though smart meter team has not been involved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +1
Duppy;43689:
Hi Daspy,
Are these lower values displayed on the meter itself, or the IHD. If the latter and your actual meter readings are as expected, I would ignore it, as the IHD will not be updated with PP's tariff information.
​​​​​​​The meter itself is the suppliers responsibility, but it would only be checked if faulty ie: not recording or recording incorrectly, buzzing or getting hot. The failure to display information on the IHD would not be regarded as a fault

Its on the IHD Duppy, so will just hold on and see what happens next. Thanks for your time and advice.
What the hell is going on with these now? Got an email over a week ago to say plug the HiD in, give it 24 hours and if nothing improves, send us an email. 1 week, two emails later and nothing 😡
So again, no response on here either. So that's 3 emails, and a forum post, and I'm no closer to knowing if I wasted taking time off work to have a digital dumb meter fitted. Pure planet are great for what they are achieving in terms of clean energy, and prices are good but the communication is truly piss poor.
Yeltsin;45028:
So again, no response on here either. So that's 3 emails, and a forum post, and I'm no closer to knowing if I wasted taking time off work to have a digital dumb meter fitted. Pure planet are great for what they are achieving in terms of clean energy, and prices are good but the communication is truly piss poor.

Hey @Yeltsin
I'm flagging this up with our Member services team.
There are issues affecting some IHDs not displaying info.
But you should have heard back from the team by now, so apologies for that.
I've also passed this on to my fellow community manager @Nataly to be aware of, as I'm going to be off for a few days.
​​​​​​​Whatever you did it worked, I now have a (semi) working HiD! Thanks
​​​​​​​Where would that be? I've just searched and can't find it.
piespies;45283:
​​​​​​​Where would that be? I've just searched and can't find it.

Hey piespies,

Searched for what?? 🤔
Can't find what?? 🤔

​​​​​​​Have I missed something?? 🤔
I had a meter installed on Thursday still shows 'Wating for Data' only by finding this thread and other closed ones do I now know there is a major issue with these meters. I know it is a trial but why can PP not be honest and say that they may not work, I took time off work (like most) to have the meter installed. The engineer was pleasant enough but looking back at some of his comments I now know he wasn't expecting it to work at all.
I have reported though Wattbott, not sure what to expect though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi Will50,

Welcome to the community.

I hope you first typed "Message the Team" before posting your question via wattBot... otherwise you will not get a personal response.
Sorry if you knew that.

In the mean time heres an honest and transparent update from PP reflecting on meter installations, what they've encountered, which is not unique to PP and similar if not the same problems through out the industry affecting all suppliers.
https://community.purepla.net/threads/8690-A-look-back-at-2019-and-the-world-of-smart-meters

Anyway listen out for more feedback and hope you get sorted
😂Hiya from Fife,
this is the North but not the rural areas of the Highlands!!
What is it with the network: it does not seem to work at all up here and in spite of that energy suppliers like purepla are offering smart meters to everyone knowing that they will not work. Sounds like a whole pile of fake news and no facts!! I had a gen1 smart meter from previous supplier one month after joining him. Now I have a bricked smart meter as bad as the old unsmart one!
​​​​​​​I am waiting for a better future but the network will not work up north😉
​​​​​​​purepla should just stop talking about this issue: there seems to be no solution available.... I am seriously thinking of switching again

​​​​​​​PP needs to stop the push for smart meters if they know that they wont work, not only in the North as I saw from posts here on PP....

- - - Updated - - -

.... and adding to this, I had no contacts from anybody about smart meters. I kept silent and just hoped that something would happen in 2019!
Just reports about failures and a network that does not work. PP should stop smart meters all together and stop wasting our money!!
Maybe this is the wrong thread?

In Nov yr contractors installed a new electrical meter but could not get a WiFi connection in central Glasgow! Left without installing a gas meter. After much prompting for me they were to install gas meter on 27 Jan but ‘couldn’t find a parking spot’. I watched them drive past my door. It’s a busy inner city area but minimal parking restrictions- everyone else manages but apparently these diddums didn’t want to walk 100m or so.

No callback from the contractors to arrange another appointment but even if they do, can they complete the connection? Should I put all my furniture back which was moved to give them clear access to meter cupboard?
billfra;47381:
Maybe this is the wrong thread?

In Nov yr contractors installed a new electrical meter but could not get a WiFi connection in central Glasgow! Left without installing a gas meter. After much prompting for me they were to install gas meter on 27 Jan but ‘couldn’t find a parking spot’. I watched them drive past my door. It’s a busy inner city area but minimal parking restrictions- everyone else manages but apparently these diddums didn’t want to walk 100m or so.

No callback from the contractors to arrange another appointment but even if they do, can they complete the connection? Should I put all my furniture back which was moved to give them clear access to meter cupboard?

Good morning @billfra
I've flagged this with our Member services team to get Magnum to contact you about rescheduling another appoinment.
Your wifi signal strength doesn't matter when it comes to smart meters. Check out this handy FAQ for more info.
Having previously been relatively vocal on the now closed thread:
https://community.purepla.net/threads/7584-Smart-meters-update-We%E2%80%99re-piloting-new-meters-in-the-North?p=41573#post41573
I wanted to write and say that my system appears to have improved without requiring any re-configuring or re-installation.

​​​​​​​I live in Edinburgh, and the gas display worked from day one, but the electricity just said, "Waiting for data".

I don't quite know when the fix happened because I had moved the meter to the "electricity" cupboard, and therefore out-of-sight, rather than giving it space in the kitchen. However, since I still have to provide monthly meter readings to Pure Planet, I visit the cupboard monthly, so I guess it went on in the last month or so.

I have no idea whether the data it presents is useful, but it is at least working.

Both dials show, "Please enter a budget:, but at least there is some real data there, a little over six months later.

​​​​​​​Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Facherty,
​​​​​​​Good news indeed, thanks for informing us. If you tap the right arrow on the display it should change to the usage gauges instead of set a budget.
Facherty;51430:
Having previously been relatively vocal on the now closed thread:
https://community.purepla.net/threads/7584-Smart-meters-update-We%E2%80%99re-piloting-new-meters-in-the-North?p=41573#post41573
I wanted to write and say that my system appears to have improved without requiring any re-configuring or re-installation.

​​​​​​​Thank you.

That's fantastic news @Facherty 😀
And nice one for updating other community members too!
Our smart team have been working hard on this, so I'll pass on the good news 👍

The app started telling me my meters are SMART. FAKE according to pure Planet agent. They have stopped asking for readings and just charging me on estimates. WHAT A MESS. I am seriously switching now.