Smart meters - update on Pure Planet plans for second generation rollout

• Community Manager
  • 7593 replies
New models of smart meters are starting to be issued to homes and we at Pure Planet will be issuing all our members with one.

The current generation of smart meters, known as SMETS1, only work with the supplier who fits them.

We don’t want to invest in old technology and we don’t agree with some of the practises used by other suppliers which ties customers to their tariffs.

Which is why we’ve been waiting for the second generation of smart meters, known as SMETS2. These will work with all suppliers, regardless of who fits them.

SMETS2 smart meters are being rolled out to households from October 2018. The rollout is being coordinated by an Ofgem-regulated body called the Data and Communications Company (DCC).

The DCC is responsible for building the smart meter network around the UK. It is the body between energy suppliers like Pure Planet and you, the member. DCC manages the data between supplier and customer, on a faster network. (The older versions of smart meters use 3G SIM cards which connect to specific energy companies only).

We and other energy suppliers have been working behind the scenes for many months with the DCC, SMETS2 manufacturers and SMETS2 installers to prepare for the rollout.

We’ve been planning a pilot to test them with interested members over the summer, and then issuing to all our members, for free, this autumn.

But, what is emerging from the SMETS2 trials is that the initial testing and preparation for mass production is proving more complex and time-consuming that previously expected, and so availability of meters has been delayed.

Households involved in SMETS2 pilot schemes are experiencing issues with the new hardware connecting with the new network - the one which carries the data between households and suppliers. What this means is that meter readings are not being recorded correctly.

We don’t believe that Pure Planet members want to be issued with smart meters that are not yet ready to work as intended.

And we also don’t want to use the older meters because they prevent the freedom to choose your preferred energy supplier.

So we have decided the best solution is to wait until the SMETS2 bugs have been fixed and they work correctly with the DCC network.

Instead of testing SMETS2 with members in summer and installing them in the autumn, we’ll be aiming to test them at the end of 2018 and start issuing them to everyone in 2019.

As soon as there is more news, I will post it in the community so you will be the first to know. That’s it for now. Any questions? Let’s chat below.

UPDATED 12 November:
This post outlines the latest on the smart meters roll out for Pure Planet Members.

148 replies

We have just moved with a Smart Meter from Scottish Gas and it carries on reading. Of course it doesn't send info. Why not just use it until 2nd generation is really sound to us? Our mobile signal is very poor as we are in a tiny gap in a fold in the hill nut BGs system worked most of the time.
Badge
People would be mad to get a SMETS1 meter so you have made the right decision.

I cannot wait for you to provide SMETS2 and economy 7 tariffs, so I can make best use of my electric vehicle charging.

I work for a telco that is one of the many suppliers into DCC and it is clear that the whole eco-system is very complex and the testing is intense, so whilst I hope for October I will not hold my breath 🙂
Thanks for the post @Brunel
Welcome to the community! Love your choice of username 🎩😀
Yep, testing is indeed intense. And we don't want to push out anything which isn't reliable.
What kind of EV have you got, by the way?
There's a lot of interest in EVs in this community.
I have 2 old smart meters for gas and electricity fitted by Ovo. But they are very difficult to read as they are in awkward positions. Could you urgently put me down as a beta tester of the new smart meter please as it is back breaking trying to manually read the old one. Thanks
I will never understand why meters that only work with one supplier were allowed into the market. I had one fitted for gas and electric only to change suppliers after a month and this required a different smart meter to be fitted. Who pays yes the consumer. Not so smart at all. Sensible decision Pure Planet. All phase 1 meters will need changing to the universal meter too. Stupid.
JAR;7573:
I will never understand why meters that only work with one supplier were allowed into the market. I had one fitted for gas and electric only to change suppliers after a month and this required a different smart meter to be fitted. Who pays yes the consumer. Not so smart at all. Sensible decision Pure Planet. All phase 1 meters will need changing to the universal meter too. Stupid.

Thanks for the feedback @JAR and glad to hear you agree!
:D
So you've had two first gen 'smart' meters fitted so far?!
BigL;7571:
I have 2 old smart meters for gas and electricity fitted by Ovo. But they are very difficult to read as they are in awkward positions. Could you urgently put me down as a beta tester of the new smart meter please as it is back breaking trying to manually read the old one. Thanks

Thanks @BigL
Yep, we'll be looking for beta testers 👍
As soon as there's news, the community will be the first to know!
Hi, first post as my switch to Pure Planet is underway. Cheapest prices and green too....there's a message for all! I've not resisted getting a Smart Meter but was wary as I knew the "tactics" being applied in SMETS1 by the major providers. I don't mean to bitch...however, I now would love to be at the vanguard of SMETS2. How can I get on the trial?
Hi @JonB
Welcome!
Nice one for getting stuck in 🆙
I'll be posting updates on SMETS2 soon and I'll be on the lookout for Members to take part in a trial.
I take it I can pencil you in then? 😉
I'm also in the very early stages of switching
in February I had smart gas and electric meters fitted (previously had an electric smart meter fitted by same supplier) so I am assuming these will be the new SMETS2 type
The electric meter has WAN & HAN and its the WAN diode that flashes intermittingly
When you start your roll out will you be able to read my meters.
smoggie;8565:
I'm also in the very early stages of switching
in February I had smart gas and electric meters fitted (previously had an electric smart meter fitted by same supplier) so I am assuming these will be the new SMETS2 type
The electric meter has WAN & HAN and its the WAN diode that flashes intermittingly
When you start your roll out will you be able to read my meters.

Hi @smoggie
Great to hear that you're switching ;)
If you had smart meters fitted in Feb then no these will be SMETS1, not 2. The rollout of 2 isn't until later this year.
This means that it's v unlikely we'll be able to read them. But as soon as SMETS2 are ready, we'll be offering them to all our Members, for free.
Hope that helps?
Marc;8629:
Hi @smoggie
Great to hear that you're switching ;)
If you had smart meters fitted in Feb then no these will be SMETS1, not 2. The rollout of 2 isn't until later this year.
This means that it's v unlikely we'll be able to read them. But as soon as SMETS2 are ready, we'll be offering them to all our Members, for free.
Hope that helps?

not the answer I wanted as reading my gas meter is a right P.I.T.A
when you start your roll out/testing please put me high up on the list
I'd be more than happy to join the beta test. In a previous life I was a systems- and acceptance test manager for large IT projects.
That's great @StevieBee ! Nice one :foldedhands::)
Out of interest, what are your expectations of what a smart meter does, and what should it do?

StevieBee;8917:
I'd be more than happy to join the beta test. In a previous life I was a systems- and acceptance test manager for large IT projects.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
What should a smart meter do???
HMMMM well if you can make it pay my bill then i would be well chuffed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Jon1;8977:
What should a smart meter do???
HMMMM well if you can make it pay my bill then i would be well chuffed.

;););)
Marc,

To give my thoughts on what a smart meter should/could do:

1. Read my meter!

2. Give me insights into my energy usage.

3. Highlight anomalies, when is my usage outside of what the meter has learnt to be my normal usage (realise that is more of an application than the meter itself).

4. Future: offer some form of dynamic switching. Eg if the meter predicts that my usage is going to be high between 3am and 4am then it could shop around for that hour and dynamically switch supplier for that period. Then switch back to a cheaper daytime provider.

5. Future. If there was to be more dynamic pricing (eg by the hour) then the smartmeter in conjunction with my smart home devices could time the switching on of my power consumers to get cheapest power. Eg if 2:45AM to 3:45 is the cheapest time then my dishwasher/washing machine/electric car charging should switch on at that time.
Hi @NeilV
Fantastic feedback :)
Thanks very much that's exactly the sort of stuff we're looking for :foldedhands:

Last question from me. We think all that smart info belongs in the app, rather than a separate device display which is sat on your kitchen counter. Do you agree?
@Marc

Definitely agree that I don't want a dedicated display device. Somewhat less agreed that it has to be an app. In general I prefer web pages than dedicated apps.

Neil.
I have already got a smets2 set of meters recently fitted by my previous supplier
Will they have to be replaced or on the assumption thatst they work, Can these meters be involved in early trials ??
Hi @Aldon
Welcome to the community!
Cheers for the post
Lucky you! Yes these will work, and I'll definitely make a note of this.
Did you find the SMETS2 meters useful?
Hello Marc,

I would also like to take part in the beta test if possible. Fed up having to rummage around for the meter panel key. 🙂
Thanks @Bojangles
I know the feeling.... It's never where it's supposed to be, is it?
Nice one for putting yourself forward 🆙
Do we need to register for a smart reader?
Hi @Lynk
Not yet. As soon as there's a update on smart meters I'll be posting it in the community
🆙
Lynk;10010:
Do we need to register for a smart reader?