Smart meters update - latest on monthly meter reading reminders

Hi everyone,

We want to give you an update about monthly meter reading reminders and smart meters.

Thank you to everyone who’s given us feedback about this - we understand it may be confusing to receive a reading reminder when you have a SMETS2 meter installed.

We wanted to be confident that we were regularly receiving smart readings (that's readings sent to our system from your meter, with no manual intervention) for the majority of Members with SMETS2 meters before stopping our reading reminders. This is because receiving your readings helps us keep your statements accurate and your Direct Debit in line with your usage.

We’re happy to say we’re now confident that for SMETS2 meters installed by Pure Planet and our metering partner Magnum Utilities, we’re receiving most smart readings. This means if you’ve had your meter(s) installed and have subsequently sent your meter reading(s), from next week (20 April) you’ll no longer receive monthly reminder emails. 🙂

To view your meter readings, in your account tap ‘usage’ > ’reading history’.

Reasons you may still be receiving monthly meter reading reminders:

If you had SMETS2 meters installed by Pure Planet and haven’t yet sent your reading(s), you’ll still be receiving your monthly reading reminders. Just send us your meter readings via your app or at purepla.net, and your reminders will be switched off. 👍

If you switched to Pure Planet with an existing smart meter you’ll continue to receive reading reminders for now. We’ll also continue to request your monthly readings if you currently have one smart meter and one traditional meter installed.

If you have first generation (SMETS1) meters we’ll continue to request your monthly meter readings. The connection of these onto the SMETS2 network has begun in small batches, and will continue to be rolled out in 2020. While this work is ongoing it’s best to continue sending us your readings. This’ll help us send accurate statements 👍. We also have a handy guide on how to read your SMETS1 meters.

Any questions? Let’s chat about them in the replies below!

14 replies

I had both meters replaced with Smart meters on the 23rd December 2019. My account shows smart readings for electricity since January but none for the gas. When I logged in to the app to enter my readings this month it advised Pure Planet are now receiving smart readings and I no longer have to submit readings and wont be getting anymore reminders although I know from looking at my account there are still no gas smart readings being received.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi @sirogers
Welcome to the community.
​​​​​​​I am in a similar situation, until your statements start showing smart readings consistently for both fuels, continue to send in your readings, that way you can be sure that your statements will be as upto date as possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi si
go to help and support, ask a question, type message the team and ask if PP to check if they are reliably getting your gas readings and if not are they able to fix it.
If it requires intervention from the installer (I'm not saying it will) then it may be some time before it's fixed due to lockdown.
Replies not instant, a day or 2.
sirogers;52181:
I had both meters replaced with Smart meters on the 23rd December 2019. My account shows smart readings for electricity since January but none for the gas. When I logged in to the app to enter my readings this month it advised Pure Planet are now receiving smart readings and I no longer have to submit readings and wont be getting anymore reminders although I know from looking at my account there are still no gas smart readings being received.
woz;52196:
hi si
go to help and support, ask a question, type message the team and ask if PP to check if they are reliably getting your gas readings and if not are they able to fix it.
If it requires intervention from the installer (I'm not saying it will) then it may be some time before it's fixed due to lockdown.
Replies not instant, a day or 2.

Hi woz

I have just asked the question

Thanks

si
Userlevel 3
Hi,

My SMET2 meter hasn't worked properly since it was installed last year. It has never registered electricity readings so I still have to send manually. I have previously reported it. I understand nothing will happen till lockdown ends but I still need to send in readings as over Winter the electric was under estimated. Therefore I would still reminders.

Sue
I have just changed to Pure Planet and was asked for meter reading which I put on the app. It now says that it appears you have smart meters and there is no need to send meter readings. I have now received an email that has said they have had to estimate my opening readings. What do I do, as I sent readings through the app which is now telling me I don't need to. Do I send new readings or not?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Nataly @Suepal
Will sue still get her reminders? (this post seems to have been overlooked?)
Suepal;53134:
Hi,

My SMET2 meter hasn't worked properly since it was installed last year. It has never registered electricity readings so I still have to send manually. I have previously reported it. I understand nothing will happen till lockdown ends but I still need to send in readings as over Winter the electric was under estimated. Therefore I would still reminders.

Sue
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Hi NigeB66
I'd err on the side of caution as you can't do any harm by sending in readings, so I would send readings until the statement arrives and shows that PP are getting automatic readings.(you should receive the first statement a month after you switched in and monthly thereafter)
NigeB66;56827:
I have just changed to Pure Planet and was asked for meter reading which I put on the app. It now says that it appears you have smart meters and there is no need to send meter readings. I have now received an email that has said they have had to estimate my opening readings. What do I do, as I sent readings through the app which is now telling me I don't need to. Do I send new readings or not?
woz;56842:
@Nataly @Suepal
Will sue still get her reminders? (this post seems to have been overlooked?)

Hey @woz @Suepal

You wouldn't receive reading reminders if you have SMETS2 meters - it's probably best to get in touch with our Member Services team so they can look into this further for you @Suepal. In your account tap 'get help and support' > 'ask a question' and type 'message the team'. 👍
Userlevel 3
​​​​​​​Hi Woz and Nataly,

I suppose one of the issues I have is this; knowing that a number of Northern account users have Smet2 meters that aren't yet working properly, why go ahead with this change at this point?

I'll contact The team again! Hopefully this time they won't tell me to turn it on and off again?

Cheers
Sue
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Suepal;56872:
​​​​​​​Hi Woz and Nataly,

I suppose one of the issues I have is this; knowing that a number of Northern account users have Smet2 meters that aren't yet working properly, why go ahead with this change at this point?

I'll contact The team again! Hopefully this time they won't tell me to turn it on and off again?

Cheers
Sue

​​​​​​​hi Sue
and I'd continue to send meter readings the day before your statement is due, it can't do any harm. You can use google calendar or similar to set up a reminder for you.

As we have smart meter and I have sent pictures of our smart meters as well but still receiving email for meter reading then what’s the point having smart meters 

look forward to hear from you asap.

As we have smart meter and I have sent pictures of our smart meters as well but still receiving email for meter reading then what’s the point having smart meters 

look forward to hear from you asap.

Hi @Attahome 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.

I’ve added your post to this existing thread which has more info about why you’ll get meter reading reminders :thumbsup:

Ours was installed this month but it doesn't seem to be connected. I'm told this is up to you and have sent feedback. Heard nothing. What's going on?