Smart meters update - end of Pure Planet's smart meter pilot

Hi everyone, 

We’ve just published our latest blog post - all about smart meters, the end of our smart meter pilot, and the start of a ‘new smart normal’. You can read the blog post in full here - I also wanted to give you a summary here in the Community.

Firstly, we want to say a big thank you to all those Members who have been involved in our smart meter pilot. Your taking part has taught us a lot, which’ll help us offer smoother, more reliable smart metering services in future. We know it hasn’t always been smooth sailing! Thank you for your continued patience and for your feedback here in the Community, too. It’s truly appreciated. :pray:

As posted about in detail here, if you have fully functioning smart meters we’re no longer sending monthly meter reading requests. We know that may have caused confusion previously! If there’s a problem with data being sent to us from both of your smart meters, we’ll continue to send you a monthly reading reminder for now. 

Smart pilot results

What have we learned so far?

• Well, the smart meter system is complex and there are several industry-wide issues still to be ironed out! 
  • In Home Displays (IHDs) are a big source of contact to suppliers, mainly because of connectivity issues to the smart meters themselves
  • Despite teething troubles, our Members are proving more keen on having and using smart meters than customers of suppliers elsewhere

And now for some numbers...

• Just under half of our membership have smart meters - the bulk of which are first generation (SMETS1) meters, which we’ve ‘inherited’ when those Members switched from other suppliers
  • So far, around 10% of these SMETS1 meters have been upgraded to SMETS2 standards. This is part of a nationwide programme to enhance all SMETS1 meters to be fully smart. This is done remotely - there’s nothing you need to do. All suppliers are reliant on the central Data Communications Company (DCC) to carry out these upgrades. They can’t come soon enough - and are currently expected to be completed by the end of the year.
  • We’ve installed SMETS2 meters to around 6,500 homes so far, with our metering partners Magnum Utilities 
  • Around 4,000 households with SMETS2 meters have moved to Pure Planet since our pilot began - these have come from a variety of suppliers and bring a diverse range of meter types and In Home Displays - this means our engineers have been able to fault-find and fix different hardware, so we’ve learned a lot here too!

Check out the full blog post here.:thumbsup:

You may also like: We’re installing smart meters again as COVID-19 lockdown restrictions ease

46 replies

Any information about customers switching to you who already have smart meters? 

Thanks @Duppy - just wanted to check I hadn’t missed anything!

I had a big and exciting day today! My gas smart meter was installed! Taken 15 months since the electric one was installed. The engineer would not believe me that on two previous occasions engineers had called but refused to install because they had not been trained on how to use a screw driver to take off and put back the earth strap and even would not install if I did it! Today’s engineer had not been on such a course but knew what to do. As would most people reading this post.

He got frustrated with my little panel. It seems I have an old model which is not touch sensitive.

Now I wait to see if it will 3 or 4 months before I next get a statement.

Progress though!

@woz I am not sure either, so I have just made myself a G&T. 🍸. Might even have a malt later this evening 🥃

@Duppy When I got up this morning my gas connection was shown in the IHD.

Picking it up to scroll through what it may show I realised what a pain the device is to use.  One has to keep pressing the “home” button then a forward or back button then the home button. It’s a long and laborious process. No on screen touch sensitivity which make it more useable. Surprising as we are in the 21st century. Looks like it will go back on the shelf to gather dust. I believe there may have been upgrade to the panel but presumably not applicable to someone who has a year old one.

@Marc Not 100% relevant but close to the smart subject! I received an email from PP welcoming me as a smart meter user and telling me if I clicked on a link in the email I could access a user guide. The link does not work on an Apple MAC desktop. Just says the page is not found. It does work using an iPad. Something for the software boffins to resolve.

Hey @Suzihux 

Our guide to getting your smart meter readings is available here - work to make your meters ‘smart’ again is well underway, so you shouldn’t have to send readings for much longer. 

Check out this FAQ all about the work that’s being done and why we may still be asking for your readings, for now :slight_smile:

If you need to, the recommended way to get in touch with our Member Services team is by selecting ‘get help and support’ > ‘ask a question’ in your account. Once your message has been sent to the team, they’ll reply within two working days. 

Hope that helps! 

I've recently swapped at end of July with smet2 meters from British Gas but awaiting electricity serial number to update so PP can communicate with both meters.

Hey @DJGShef 

We have an FAQ all about switching supplier if you already have smart meters installed - SMETS1 (first generation) meters are being updated to the SMETS2 network throughout 2020, to make them ‘smart’ again. 

If you switch with SMETS2 meters these will stay smart when you switch - we’ve had around 4,000 households switch to us with SMETS2 meters already installed :raised_hands:

Hi @Nataly, I've recently swapped at the end of Dec 20 with smet2 meters from Octopus. I have a few questions if you could help, please?

• Do I need to update PP with the electricity and gas “serial number” so that you can communicate with both meters? Is this what they call “commissioning”? 
  • Why do I have to give an opening meter reading if you are reading from a smet2 meter in real-time?
  • I had my smet2 installed 24/11/20 (less than 6 weeks) and the gas reading isn’t showing on the dashboard - the electricity is working fine. When I spoke to Octopus they said that an engineer needs to come out and “commission” the smart metres as I have switched to PP. Please can you advise on what I need to do to get this resolved? I was waiting for the smet2 installing before I switched to PP.

Many thanks in advance for your help @Nataly!!! :)

Can I have a smart meter installed please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Joncrossley .

All SMETS1 meter upgrades are carried out by a company called the DCC, Pure Planet don't have any direct involvement in the upgrades

Although Covid has resulted in delays to the planned timeline

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@JessieGreen 

It's true that having a busy life can sometimes cause you to forget to take a reading each month, but it won't affect your account if you forget the odd one, as your account will correct itself next time you submit.

You should be sent a meter reading reminder each month, if possible submit it when you receive it, then you don't have to remember

So is there a snowballs chance of my SMETS1 dumb meter installed by BG actually becoming useful any time soon? :question:

I thought there might be a glimmer of hope in January when the IHD actually managed to connect to the meter for a while, albeit showing £0.00 for costs, but the day I was hoping to use it to actually use it to read my meter it went back into dodo mode :dodo: and I was forced out into the cold and rain to read the meter manually  :disappointed_relieved:

We have had brexit and covid with brand new apps created to handle them in the time that the DCC has miserably failed to deal with a relatively simple problem that should never have been allow to happen in the first place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I thought there might be a glimmer of hope in January when the IHD actually managed to connect to the meter for a while, albeit showing £0.00 for costs, but the day I was hoping to use it to actually use it to read my meter it went back into dodo mode :dodo: and I was forced out into the cold and rain to read the meter manually  :disappointed_relieved:

@MymsMan

When you need to obtain a meter reading, you should always read the main meters ( the ones fitted to the wall/floor and attached to the pipes and wires. ) and not the IHD, even more so if there are connection issues

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@JessieGreen 

We in the community do not work for PP,  apart from community managers Marc and Nataly  and we do not have access to any information other than what we glean from the FAQ's and other posts.

The link above indicates that the installs are being done by region, when the installers are in your region, you will be contacted by Magnum utilities

Hey @DJGShef 

We have an FAQ all about how to read your smart meter - including SMETS2 Landis & Gyr - here :relaxed:

Thanks @Nataly I didn’t find this page - kept seeing one with traditional meters. Pressing button A is very easy I must admit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@jwjmoore 

Magnum utilities are working region by region, they will be in touch when they are ready to start installs in your area. Unfortunately there is nothing PP can do to speed up this process

Hi @MymsMan 

Good question! We’re keeping this FAQ updated with all the latest info around the timings of the DCC-run upgrades of SMETS1 meters :thumbsup:

In the meantime, looks like you’ve received some good advice from @Duppy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I had a big and exciting day today! My gas smart meter was installed! Taken 15 months since the electric one was installed. The engineer would not believe me that on two previous occasions engineers had called but refused to install because they had not been trained on how to use a screw driver to take off and put back the earth strap and even would not install if I did it! Today’s engineer had not been on such a course but knew what to do. As would most people reading this post.

He got frustrated with my little panel. It seems I have an old model which is not touch sensitive.

Now I wait to see if it will 3 or 4 months before I next get a statement.

Progress though!

@G4RHL I’m not sure whether to congratulate or commiserate at this point...

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@G4RHL 

Just curious, is your gas usage showing on your IHD

Now come on @Duppy that is asking too much. I was told it may be about 24 hours before I may see it. I must remember to look at it tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@G4RHL 

At least it's showing usage. Which IHD do you have? The trio 2 isn't exactly user friendly but ( when it works ) it does give an indication of usage. Have you tried the curled arrow button on the right, that normally returns to previous page

@Duppy it says it’s a Geo Trio II. Yes I worked out how to scroll through things. It could be more user friendly. I gather current ones are.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Duppy it says it’s a Geo Trio II. Yes I worked out how to scroll through things. It could be more user friendly. I gather current ones are.

My IHD is  over 18 months old, I don't think there have been any changes made in that time, even on Geo's site the trio 2 button is exactly the same and has the same functionality