Hot Topic

Smart meters update - end of Pure Planet's smart meter pilot

• 10 August 2020
  • 12 replies

Hi everyone, 

We’ve just published our latest blog post - all about smart meters, the end of our smart meter pilot, and the start of a ‘new smart normal’. You can read the blog post in full here - I also wanted to give you a summary here in the Community.

Firstly, we want to say a big thank you to all those Members who have been involved in our smart meter pilot. Your taking part has taught us a lot, which’ll help us offer smoother, more reliable smart metering services in future. We know it hasn’t always been smooth sailing! Thank you for your continued patience and for your feedback here in the Community, too. It’s truly appreciated. :pray:

As posted about in detail here, if you have fully functioning smart meters we’re no longer sending monthly meter reading requests. We know that may have caused confusion previously! If there’s a problem with data being sent to us from both of your smart meters, we’ll continue to send you a monthly reading reminder for now. 

Smart pilot results

What have we learned so far?

• Well, the smart meter system is complex and there are several industry-wide issues still to be ironed out! 
  • In Home Displays (IHDs) are a big source of contact to suppliers, mainly because of connectivity issues to the smart meters themselves
  • Despite teething troubles, our Members are proving more keen on having and using smart meters than customers of suppliers elsewhere

And now for some numbers...

• Just under half of our membership have smart meters - the bulk of which are first generation (SMETS1) meters, which we’ve ‘inherited’ when those Members switched from other suppliers
  • So far, around 10% of these SMETS1 meters have been upgraded to SMETS2 standards. This is part of a nationwide programme to enhance all SMETS1 meters to be fully smart. This is done remotely - there’s nothing you need to do. All suppliers are reliant on the central Data Communications Company (DCC) to carry out these upgrades. They can’t come soon enough - and are currently expected to be completed by the end of the year.
  • We’ve installed SMETS2 meters to around 6,500 homes so far, with our metering partners Magnum Utilities 
  • Around 4,000 households with SMETS2 meters have moved to Pure Planet since our pilot began - these have come from a variety of suppliers and bring a diverse range of meter types and In Home Displays - this means our engineers have been able to fault-find and fix different hardware, so we’ve learned a lot here too!

Check out the full blog post here.:thumbsup:

You may also like: We’re installing smart meters again as COVID-19 lockdown restrictions ease

12 replies

Any information about customers switching to you who already have smart meters? 

Userlevel 4

I've recently swapped at end of July with smet2 meters from British Gas but awaiting electricity serial number to update so PP can communicate with both meters.

Hey @DJGShef 

We have an FAQ all about switching supplier if you already have smart meters installed - SMETS1 (first generation) meters are being updated to the SMETS2 network throughout 2020, to make them ‘smart’ again. 

If you switch with SMETS2 meters these will stay smart when you switch - we’ve had around 4,000 households switch to us with SMETS2 meters already installed :raised_hands:

Can I have a smart meter installed please?

Hey @DJGShef 

We have an FAQ all about switching supplier if you already have smart meters installed - SMETS1 (first generation) meters are being updated to the SMETS2 network throughout 2020, to make them ‘smart’ again. 

If you switch with SMETS2 meters these will stay smart when you switch - we’ve had around 4,000 households switch to us with SMETS2 meters already installed :raised_hands:

Just to say that I can't find any useful information on my SMET2 Landis & Gyr meters on Pure Planet - but Green Energy Network have a great page for all meters. https://greennetworkenergy.co.uk/help-centre/meters-and-meter-reading/how-to-read-your-meter/

Can I have a smart meter installed please?

Hey @Umvert - check out our FAQ “can I have a smart meter” :relaxed: hope it helps! 

Hey @DJGShef 

We have an FAQ all about how to read your smart meter - including SMETS2 Landis & Gyr - here :relaxed:

Thanks @Nataly I didn’t find this page - kept seeing one with traditional meters. Pressing button A is very easy I must admit.

Hi, I joined well over a year ago hoping to move to a Smart meter but the only information you supply is your FAQ’s which give no indication of when this is going to happen. Can you please give more information than “we are moving from region to region”. Like many people on here, I’m concerned with reducing costs and finding out where the energy use is inefficient but seem no closer to finding out.

many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Rattatooi 

I can't really help regarding the timeline for the fitting of smart meters, I would imagine that PP is dependent on the contractors Magnum for the where and when. As a matter of interest, did you register an interest in smart meters when the trial started?

Regarding the comment about reducing costs, a smart meter cannot really do that, if can only inform how much energy is used while an appliance is turned on. It is up to the consumer to act on the information given 

As a guide, if it is switched on and you don't need it switch it off, that is the only way to save energy costs. ( If you have children, good luck getting them to turn anything off )

Thanks Duppy.

No, I’m fully aware that the smart meter will not reduce costs but I’m wanting to have a smart meter to help show where the inefficiency is of my energy use so I can start to make it more efficient.

To your other point, yes, I did register my interest. Actually, when I switched to PP it was one of my primary drivers as I saw discussion about rolling out the smart meters. I should have investigated further however as it soon became clear it was a trial so advised I wanted to be part of it. Unfortunately I heard nothing further and time has now drifted on with no progress.

Obviously COVID has not helped the situation but it would be nice to get some indication of progress. I could have switched again already and had a smart meter in place which is what I really want.

Thanks for taking time to respond. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks @Nataly I didn’t find this page - kept seeing one with traditional meters. Pressing button A is very easy I must admit.

I remember pressing button B I think it was to get money from telephone boxes!

I wonder if I am classed as having a smart meter in PP’s analyses as I only have half one?!