Thanks for offering to be part of our smart meter pilots! The response has been brilliant.:raisinghands:
The first wave of about 30 Members started in February and March. Now we’re preparing to install another 400 new 2nd generation (SMETS2) smart meters. Magnum Utilities, our installations partner, will be getting in touch with Members over the next few weeks to arrange appointments.
Registrations for the pilot are now closed. If you’d like to register your interest for a smart meter later this year, head over to the Pure Planet website where there is a form you can fill in.
We’re not going to be offering SMETS2 to anyone who has a SMETS1 as the Data Communications Company (which is responsible for managing the network which carries smart data from meters to energy companies) has given new updates on when they plan to start upgrading these. Starting later this year many SMETS1 models will become smart again - check out this FAQ for more info about the latest timescales.
We’ve also inherited more than 100 SMETS2 smart meters. We’ll be contacting these Members in due course when we’re ready to switch on the smart functionality. More info here.
I will of course keep posting updates in the community, here in the smart meters section, so keep an eye on that for latest news. We’re also adding lots of new and useful info to the smart meters section of our FAQs.
What we’ve learned so far from the pilot phase
- Some Members who offered to be part of the pilot phase have been disappointed that they’ve not had their installation, or been contacted by Magnum yet. This is because until we’re installing them at a larger rate, we’ve got a limited number of engineers available, so we’ve clustered Members together by location.
- We should have been clearer that we’re not going to install a SMETS2 smart meter at your home if you’ve already got a SMETS1 meter which is due to be upgraded starting in the second half of 2019. This is because we want to keep wastage and costs low.
- We’ve experienced a few teething troubles with our booking process, with not all Members booked for a smart meter getting an email to confirm their appointment. We’re working with Magnum to improve on this.
- Some In-Home Displays are sometimes losing connectivity to their smart meters. We’re investigating these. If your IHD is not displaying energy usage, please contact our Member Services team via Help in your app.
- Smart electricity readings are coming through faster than gas readings
- We're still estimating that it will take about six weeks from installation before smart meter readings start to come through and appear in your app
I volunteered to be part of the pilot. Why haven’t I heard anything?
We’re really grateful to everyone who’s offered to help.
If you’ve already registered an interest in being part of the pilot, what happens next is we check the connectivity strength in your area, check whether you have a SMETS1 meter already, and look at the availability of engineers, so we can group Pure Planet members together.
We’ve also ruled out Members with feed-in tariffs from taking part as we don’t yet support them.
This means a small number of Members who don’t have SMETS1 meters who offered to help will not make the pilot phase. Don’t worry, we haven’t forgotten you. Once we’re ready to install smart meters to thousands of our Members’ homes later this year, we’ll be in touch.
What will happen to my Pure Planet account after the smart meters are installed?
We estimate that it’ll take about six to eight weeks from the date your smart meters are installed for your account to be fully updated.
This means that you’ll most likely receive at least one email asking for a meter reading. Please keep sending regular meter readings until you see smart readings appearing in your app. You may also not receive your regular monthly statement because it won’t be automatically generated by our billing software.
After the 6-8 week period you’ll start to see automated meter readings appear in your app and your monthly statements will also return.
Please give us your feedback
We want our Members to have a good smart meter experience as we install meters in larger numbers, so we’re working closely with our installees to find out what they did and didn’t like as part of the install process.
If you’re one of these, please let us know about:
- Your installation booking experience from Magnum - Was the date and time of the installation made clear? Were you kept in the loop about what was planned?
- The installation - How long did it take? Was there any disruption? Was the engineer informative and helpful?
- Post installation - Are you aware of the benefits of your smart meter? Are you happy with the information you’ve been left with?
- Feel free to post your feedback in the replies here or send a message to our Member Services team in your app.
We’re collecting your feedback as we go. We’re using it to improve the process for the next round of installations later this year.
I didn’t put my name down to be part of the pilot, but I’d like a smart meter. What do I do?
Once the pilot installs are done, we’ll be working on installing smart meters for all our Members who want one. Go to our website to register your interest.
That’s it. Any questions? Let’s talk about them below.