Solved

smart meters - IHD not connecting

Userlevel 2

We had our smart meters fitted yesterday, and the engineer said it would take 24 hrs for the GEO gadget to register, it is still saying Connecting to meters?

icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 10 July 2021, 16:02

View original

36 replies

We had our smart meters fitted yesterday, and the engineer said it would take 24 hrs for the GEO gadget to register, it is still saying Connecting to meters?

Hi @James75 
Welcome to the Pure Planet community.

Personally, I’d wait until at least Monday, and if it still doesn’t work then, put ‘IHD Issue’ into WattBot, it will give you some basic things to try, then pass a message to Member Services
You could try what’s advised here:
HD isn't working - troubleshooting and guide to smart status codes | Community (purepla.net)

But, I’ll be honest, I’m not the best person to ask, my IHD was installed 4 years ago by my previous supplier, and I’m lucky if it’s worked for 6 months of that time - it got so bad at connecting (despite being directly behind the meter) that I gave up and unplugged it.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi

I would give it a bit longer, maybe another day. The electric seems to always come on first, then the gas ( maybe days later)

here's a link for you to have a look at.:
https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/ihd-isn-t-working-10331

Extract:

"If your IHD isn't working as it should, in your account go to ‘get help and support’ > ‘ask a question’, and type the words 'IHD problem'. WattBot will take a bit more info from you and then pass this on to our Member Services team to investigate.

They’ll contact you by email to let you know what they’ve done to get your IHD back working as it should."

Userlevel 2

The IHD that was installed at the same time as the Gas &Electric meters as still not connected to the meters after nearly 4 weeks

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@James75 

Unfortunately, you are not alone, see if this helps 

Userlevel 2

It doesn't show any codes, just reads Connecting to smart meters

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Extract:

If none of the codes above appear in your IHD, head to your Pure Planet app or web account and go to ‘help’ > ‘ask a question’, and type the words 'IHD problem'. WattBot will take a bit more info from you and then pass this on to our Member Services team to investigate.

They’ll contact you by email to let you know what they’ve done to get your IHD back working as it should.

I had my smart meter installed approximately 5 weeks ago. The IHD shows gas usage but not electric. I have raised my concerns several times and the response after a while states they are looking into the fix. How long does a fix take...??

Hello @Hitz

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Depending on what needs to be done it can take up to about 4 weeks, our team will update you once they’ve investigated what should get it working again. 

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 2

After weeks since smart meters installed, the IHD still not working/Connected, do not receive reply from PP as eem not to be interested, I am seriously considering changing my supplier if problem not sorted out very soon.

Hi @James75, not sure how you’ve been communicating, but this is the best way.

In the app tap Help then Ask a Question. Now tell the Wattbot you have an IHD problem. Make sure it either sorts you out or says it’s passed your enquiry to the team. If necessary type Message the team to get the attention of a real human without continuing the machine dialogue.

The humans should reply in a few days.

Just noticed you’ve started a new thread on a similar topic you’ve raised before. Probably not the best way of getting the best help as the previous context is lost

You’re on a roll of making your life harder @James75… 🤣

@James75 Ultimately I don’t think it is a PP issue. They are not the suppliers. As I have said elsewhere the IHD is not important even when they work.

Userlevel 2

Thank you for your reply, I thought the IHD was to show the household the amount of energy consumption they were using which is important to some consumers, also if it isn't a PP issue? They were are the ones who contacted me to have the Smart meters installed so in my opinion they are the ones to sort the problems out for their customers, although they did not actually installed the meters, they are the first point of contact. 

Makes sense. So as above, keep chasing PP.

Userlevel 2

I will contact trading standards if the problem is not sorted

Up to you @James75 but you don’t seem to be helping yourself and appear to be ignoring advice...

Userlevel 2

I have contacted PP through whatnot and email and had No response from them

That’s unusual to not hear back. Can I check that you used the trick above (Message the team), otherwise your communication might stall at the machine. Wattbot will confirm when it has passed your enquiry to the team. 

Make sure that happened. It’s still worth going back and doing it again if need be. Sometimes mistakes happen and a message is missed.

Keep us informed...

Userlevel 2

Just asked whatnot again I want to contact the team, reply someone will contact me in 3 days, So again wait

Thank you for your reply, I thought the IHD was to show the household the amount of energy consumption they were using which is important to some consumers, also if it isn't a PP issue? They were are the ones who contacted me to have the Smart meters installed so in my opinion they are the ones to sort the problems out for their customers, although they did not actually installed the meters, they are the first point of contact. 

When they work they show you something but I found little or no value in the type of information given. Yes PP is the prime person liable to you but they will pass it back. I think the end of the line for the buck passing is the government, they wanted to push them, even to the extent in the early days of suggesting simply having one saves money. At present the only value, and it is a value, a physical one, is that you don’t have to read your meter. Ultimately this probably saves your supplier money but not you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I will contact trading standards if the problem is not sorted

@James75 

I sympathise with your frustration in getting this sorted (it takes time and it does not always resolve as the communication with the ihd is not within PP’s control, they have to go via the dcc to sort it (true of all suppliers), but trading standards won’t do anything because you haven’t suffered a loss. it just that you haven’t gained what was expected. I don’t say this frivolously, I’m just trying to give you some perspective, AND to help.

You need to persist, you’ll get a reply, they will ask you to try certain things first, if those don’t work they will escalate it BUT you will need to be patient, it could take weeks of too-ing and fro-ing

You’re quite right in that you need to pursue this with PP, they are not at fault but are unfortunately responsible.

In the meanwhile if monitoring your energy is important to you, might I suggest taking readings from your meter twice a day  (early and late) and keep a spreadsheet. Those readings will ultimately tell you more about how you are consuming energy than any IHD ever will (and when the novelty wears off like 99.9% of IHD users you’ll eventually ignore the ihd )

I’m not belittling your request, I really really hate it when tech promises but doesn’t deliver, but this screw up is down to a(nother) government infrastructure project that isn’t fit for purpose (unless the purpose is to make meter readers redundant). The money would have been better spent in insulating houses.

Sometimes it can take weeks before they work.

Unplug it, place close to the meter as you can and power up, check the next day. if it’s connected.

Hi @James75 

Just to let you know, I’ve merged all your posts about your IHD into one place. Having duplicate posts across the Community can get confusing - keeping them all together helps make sure the advice you’ve received and info you’ve provided is easy to find. :slight_smile:

You can always add replies about your IHD by typing in the ‘reply’ box at the bottom of this page, to keep everything together. 

I’ve checked this one out with our Member Services team - they confirmed they’ve received your IHD case and WattBot chat from Friday, and are taking a look into getting your IHD connected. They’ll be back in touch with you by the end of today to let you know the next steps to getting it working. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 2

Thank you

Userlevel 2

Are PP still contacting me today regarding my IHD?