Solved

smart meters

• 22 February 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, 

What are the benefits of having a smart meter ?  

icon

Best answer by stephenrand 22 February 2021, 14:46

Hi @Hetfelle 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community! Lots of threads here about the pros and cons of smart meters. If it works - and most new ones are now - it saves you sending in meter readings, and in theory knowing what energy you are using at given time helps you cut back on your energy use. I say in theory, because I think if you are concerned about energy use you've probably already made efforts to save it. 

But more comments will follow!!

Stephen

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Hetfelle 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community! Lots of threads here about the pros and cons of smart meters. If it works - and most new ones are now - it saves you sending in meter readings, and in theory knowing what energy you are using at given time helps you cut back on your energy use. I say in theory, because I think if you are concerned about energy use you've probably already made efforts to save it. 

But more comments will follow!!

Stephen

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Apart from saving you the hassle of sending in meter readings, I cant see how it saves you money. I constantly turn off plugs and lights appliances when not in use anyway. Are there any other benefits?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Hetfelle 

It depends on your use case, there are now with some suppliers or will be in the future  tariffs that rely on time of day metering for E.Vehicle users for example. 

In your case as long as you’re happy to submit readings and you turn stuff off anyway there are few benefits. The only benefit I can come up with is that you get an energy monitor (in home display) which might alert you that you’ve left something on or help you (roughly) keep track of your spending.

Stay calm...

Userlevel 1

Thankyou,

It’s a bit hard to keep track of spending - when you have 3 children at home on laptops and a computer doing school work and zoom lessons all day due - to lockdown. Not much choice in deciding what to turn off really. Plus having the small electric oil heater on, in the bedroom most of the time instead of central, when normally they would be at school. Not looking forward to my electric bill - especially.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Hetfelle 

Once the smart meters are working correctly and the IHD works, you are able to view usage in near real time, ( there is a slight delay for electric to update but gas every half hour ). After a few weeks/months you can compare usage with the previous period viewable in a bar graph form.

You can also work out how much that small heater is costing by checking the wattage and multiply by your unit rate. My wife feels the cold and gas a 800w heater in her sewing room, I worked out it costs approximately 12.5p per hour if on continuosly, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just to add-

you don't have to have one , if you don't want one, its optional.