Solved

Smart meter showing no usage

Hi
We had our smart meters installed on Wednesday. Because we are 5 floors up, we can’t view via the home hub thingy. We’ve been down to the basement to look at the new meters and it appears that the gas on isn’t registering. The electric one is fine, but the screen on the gas one is blank. Can you get a reading your end? Is there something we need to do to read it?
Regard
Ol
icon

Best answer by Angelabikerbabe 8 June 2019, 16:23

Hi, have you tried 'waking it up'?
If it's like mine, there's a grey button at the right hand side, you have to press and hold it for a few seconds or so, til the display comes on.
The display only stays on for a couple of seconds tho.
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
If it's like mine, there's a grey button at the right hand side, you have to press and hold it for a few seconds or so, til the display comes on.
Ol and Chris;30847:
Hi
We had our smart meters installed on Wednesday. Because we are 5 floors up, we can’t view via the home hub thingy. We’ve been down to the basement to look at the new meters and it appears that the gas on isn’t registering. The electric one is fine, but the screen on the gas one is blank. Can you get a reading your end? Is there something we need to do to read it?
Regard
Ol

Hi @Ol and Chris
That's a good tip from @Angelabikerbabe which is def worth trying 🆙
I'm also going to flag this up with our Member services team.
Angelabikerbabe;30849:

Hi Angelabikerbabe
Thanks for this tip, I’ll try it and see what happens.
Regards
Ol
Hi
Took Angelbikerbabe’s advice, pressed the gray button in the electricity smart meter and it worked! Thanks. Might I suggest that in future the installer either leaves some instructions, or demonstrates the meter?
Regards
Olwen
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Ol and Chris;30969:
Hi
Took Angelbikerbabe’s advice, pressed the gray button in the electricity smart meter and it worked! Thanks. Might I suggest that in future the installer either leaves some instructions, or demonstrates the meter?
Regards
Olwen

Oh good, pleased it worked for you. 👍
(I did have to ask the installer, as he wasn't going to demonstrate as a matter of course.)
👍...it was gas meter by the way, not electric ..but thanks anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
That's very useful feedback, no excuse really for not showing the customer, it's not obvious to everybody.
​also @Nataly @Marc
Ol and Chris;30969:
Hi
Regards
Olwen
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Olwen makes a good point about getting the installer to demonstrate the meters, when mine was fitted he quickly went over the IHD but not the meters. Maybe they think that as it's a smart meter you don't need to know how to read the meters.
Ol and Chris;30969:
Hi
Regards
Olwen

Nice one @Angelabikerbabe :foldedhands::D