Solved

Smart meter roll-out deadline

If I understand the Government mandate correctly, every energy supplier needs to have offered every customer it serves a Smart meter by the end of 2020, or face fines of up to 10% of turnover.

Big fan of Pure Planet though I am, it doesn’t look very likely that the firm is going to make that deadline if to date, only 400 homes have been offered meters in a pilot in the North of England which didn’t go terribly well. Surely they will need one heck of an infrastructure of smart meter installers to deliver the kind of volumes they’ll need to be shifting over the next 18 months?

With 100,000 customers, I make it that Pure Planet needs to install Smart meters in over 1,200 homes A WEEK over the next 18 months to make that obligation. With an average of 2 hours per install, let’s say one engineer can do four installs per day, five days a week - so you’d need a labour force of 60 trained installers working eight hours every day, without lunch breaks, leave or sickness to deliver that. Seems ambitious.
icon

Best answer by MrSmart 13 June 2019, 00:11

I wouldn't worry about it. None of the suppliers are going to meet the deadline. The project has been so delayed that it will be impossible for them all to be installed at the current rate

The key thing is "all reasonable endeavours" if there are problems in the north then it's not reasonable. Ofgem can't fine all suppliers if they're all in the same boat..
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Ah but not all of us want a smart meter but I love your analysis.
I wouldn't worry about it. None of the suppliers are going to meet the deadline. The project has been so delayed that it will be impossible for them all to be installed at the current rate

The key thing is "all reasonable endeavours" if there are problems in the north then it's not reasonable. Ofgem can't fine all suppliers if they're all in the same boat..
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Is that offered smart meters, or had them installed?. There is a big difference
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Just to disambiguate slightly..from
https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/gas/retail-market/metering/transition-smart-meters

.....The rollout is being led by energy suppliers, who are responsible for installing smart metering equipment, consisting of a smart electricity meter, a smart gas meter, a communications hub and an in-home display at no upfront cost. Gas and electricity suppliers are required by their licence to take all reasonable steps to roll out smart meters to all of their domestic and small business customers by the end of 2020.

If you are a consumer and would like more information about smart meters and the rollout, please see Smart meters: Your rights.

We are responsible for regulating suppliers’ compliance with their smart metering obligations, and we fully believe that smart meters have the potential to bring significant benefits to consumers. Our role is to:

protect the interests of consumers
monitor energy suppliers’ compliance with their smart metering licence obligations
regulate the Data Communications Company (DCC), including through a price control.
We have published a short smart metering licence guide to help stakeholders navigate and understand the rules relating to smart and advanced metering. This guide is intended as a helpful tool only, and does not modify or replace the conditions in the gas and electricity supply licences.

If you are interested in the number of smart meters installed and operated in Great Britain, please see Smart Meters Statistics that shows quarterly updates by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS)

That said, the whole project is a complete shambles, never mind..Boris will fix it..(not)
Offered. No one has to accept (until your existing meter reaches the end of its working life, then you have no choice
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Cadleigh;31207:
Offered. No one has to accept (until your existing meter reaches the end of its working life, then you have no choice

I've just been offered one, and I hadn't even asked!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Same Stephen 🤷*♀️
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
#metoo (or is that reserved for inappropriate behaviour)
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
woz;31264:
#metoo (or is that reserved for inappropriate behaviour)

Sorry woz. Is that not for Movie stars only.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
oh well...chance would be a fine thing...
Jon1;31274:
Sorry woz. Is that not for Movie stars only.