Question

Smart Meter Registration on the National Database.

• 28 July 2020
  • 6 replies

I have a problem that I hope you can help with? I have recently entered my F.I.T. readings to Scottish Power and I included, for the first time, the export readings from my smart meter. However they have only paid me for the usual assumed export rate of 50% of my generated power. As I have exported just over 60% of my generated power I am out of pocket. I am assuming that, according to industry practice, my Smart Meter Serial Numbers will have been registered on the National Database? I know about this as I previously had massive issues with Scottish Power when they reopened an old account from my previous address and the Ombudsman traced the meter numbers to sort it out. I look forward to hearing your response as I am literally dreading having to discuss this with SP. Please note I have already emailed them 3 weeks ago but as yet, even in these difficult times, have not received any reply apart from an automated acknowledgement.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hmmm now i do find this interesting. With my limited knowledge i always presumed under the FIT payment scheme you always got paid for 50% of the generation regardless of how much of it you actually exported. Therefore i  again presume its best to use as much as possible even if battery storage was used and even if you only exported 10% you would still get paid for 50%.

But maybe i dont understand it properly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Steviewardy and @Jon1 and anyone who might understand fit’s

My understanding is also rather thin, I don't really understand how these are actually measured (does the SM give you both the total generated and the exported amount? I admit I don’t know the practical part as I don’t have PV, but this is my understanding, please correct this anyone if it’s wrong?

1. you get a payment for  the total amount of electricity generated and 
2. with a dumb meter you get a payment for 50% of what you export (so if you only export 10% of what you use you would win on that one) 
HOWEVER above is the case if you don't have a Smart Meter
If you do have a smart meter the 50% becomes the measured actual amount of export, not assumed to be 50%.

It’s horribly complicated…

(I hope SP’s customer service has improved...)

Hi, I can tell you that my Smart Meter displays two readings:- Grid, which is what I import and Export which is what I feed into the grid. Hope this helps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi, I can tell you that my Smart Meter displays two readings:- Grid, which is what I import and Export which is what I feed into the grid. Hope this helps?

@Steviewardy Is there another meter which tells you the total amount generated by the panels?

Hey @Steviewardy 

Like @Jon1 and @woz I’m scratching my head a bit… But! I’ve just flagged it with our smart team - as well as one of our smart export guarantee experts - to check it out.

Hi Woz, yes there is a ‘Generation Meter’ which is fitted adjacent to the inverter in my garage. Hope this answers your question?