Solved

Smart meter Question

• 24 July 2021
  • 5 replies

I have recently moved house and signed up to Pure Planet. 

How do I know if i have a smart meter?

Is there any way i can monitor my usage also?

icon

Best answer by Duppy 24 July 2021, 23:59

@Joe0109

Most smart meters have either two buttons A and B, or a numerical keypad.

A SMETS1 meter will have a communication unit mounted nearby connected by a cable to your meter.

A SMETS2 meter will have the communication unit mounted on top of the meter.

The communication unit will have a number of LED's, some of which will be flashing at regular intervals.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi

You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

If I've understood right, you have moved into a house who was supplied by a different supplier, now you have switched to PP and are unsure whether the meters in your new house are smart meters?

Even if they are smart meters, they will not work as smart meters with PP., so you will still need to submit readings monthly.

If they are smart meters they will eventually come 'online',  see faq:

https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-17/update-on-progress-with-upgrading-first-generation-smets1-smart-meters-to-the-second-generation-smets2-network-13072

If you wish to post a pic of your meter, I'm sure someone will be able to say whether it is a smart meter or not

Of course it could already be a SMETS2 meter and might work its magic more quickly…

A pic might speak a thousands words @Joe0109... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Joe0109 

hi Joe

whatever type of meter you have you can monitor your usage but not instantaneously. (there are ways to get instantaneous figures but if you don’t have a SM it either costs money or time)

Many here keep a spreadsheet, so for starters for a month or so take 2 readings a day when you can be bothered and you’ll build up a very accurate picture of how you’re using energy.

Thereafter take readings weekly once a day (or monthly which is recommended if you don’t have a SM)

If your heating is electric this is a little more complicated because your biggest usage will depend on the temperature.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Joe0109

Most smart meters have either two buttons A and B, or a numerical keypad.

A SMETS1 meter will have a communication unit mounted nearby connected by a cable to your meter.

A SMETS2 meter will have the communication unit mounted on top of the meter.

The communication unit will have a number of LED's, some of which will be flashing at regular intervals.

Hello @Joe0109 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Some fab advice here from everyone - thanks all for jumping in to help @Joe0109!

This may also be useful:

I hope this helps :blush: