Solved

Smart meter Membership fee

Userlevel 2

Hi, I have booked an installation for late august.

I am a tenant and the agency is asking if there is a standing charge to the landlord when the property is vacant?

Does anyone know please?

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by Duppy 25 June 2021, 18:49

@YanVal 

There are no extra charges for having a smart meter fitted, other than the normal membership fee ( standing charge ) all you will pay is for any energy that you use

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi, I have booked an installation for late august.

I am a tenant and the agency is asking if there is a standing charge to the landlord when the property is vacant?

Does anyone know please?

Thanks,

The membership fee ( standing charge ) is payable regardless of whether the premises are occupied or not, that will apply whatever energy supplier is used, and would also apply irrespective of having a smart or older "dumb" meter

Userlevel 2

Thanks Duppy.

How much is it? I need to inform the agency.

Also, what happens if I decide to leave Pure planet?

And last, what happens if I leave the house? I assume that fee will go to the landlord or the next tenant, correct?

Thanks,

How much is it? I need to inform the agency.
That depends on whether you get a fixed-price/term or variable contract, and whether you are solely electric, or dual-fuel, currently the most expensive version of the fee is £8 per fuel, per calendar month.

Also, what happens if I decide to leave Pure Planet?
That depends on whether you get a standard variable, or a  fixed-price/term contract:
Variable, you tell Pure Planet you are leaving, you pay for the energy you use up to the date you leave, then the landlord/new tenant becomes responsible.

Fixed,  you tell Pure Planet you are leaving, you pay for the energy you use up to the date you leave and any early-termination charges.

And last, what happens if I leave the house? I assume that fee will go to the landlord or the next tenant, correct?
The landlord/new tenant is expected to become a ‘Deemed customer’ of Pure Planet once you leave, until such time as they make other arrangements.

Userlevel 2

Thanks but my question is what happens to the smart meter fee after I switch or move out.

Does it continue to charge the house/landlord or agency even if the house is vacant?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks but my question is what happens to the smart meter fee after I switch or move out.

Does it continue to charge the house/landlord or agency even if the house is vacant?

The membership fee is always payable, if you leave mid charging period, you will pay the fee pro rata, after you leave the landlord or owner is responsible, even if unoccupied,. The supply will revert to the current variable tariff, which carries an £8 per fuel per month fee. As said earlier, the membership fee or standing charge is always payable regardless of who the supplier is, or what type of meter is fitted.

To be honest, I'm surprised that the agency is asking this, it is standard practice for the landlord to be responsible for any charges going forward after a tenant leaves .

Here is a guide for landlords, you may want to forward this to the agency.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@YanVal

In the case of a rental property the landlord will always become responsible when the tenant moves out (officially) in the same way as when a customer moves into a new property they become a deemed customer of whoever the supplier is. The landlord becomes a deemed customer and is responsible for ALL of the energy charges. not just the standing charge.

There is almost certainly going to be some energy use when unoccupied.

It’s important to fill out the moving out section of the account a couple of days before you leave, and I’d advise to take photos of the meters too. 

Userlevel 2

Cheers guys! Thanks a lot!

Last question, is the smart meter mandatory by law or I can pass and not install it?

Thanks again!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Cheers guys! Thanks a lot!

Last question, is the smart meter mandatory by law or I can pass and not install it?

Thanks again!

No, the smart meter installation is optional

Hi @YanVal 

The way some of your questions are worded has me wondering:

You do understand the ‘Membership Fee’ (what most other energy providers call a ‘Standing Charge’) is not related to whether you have a ‘Smart Meter’ installed - there is no specific ‘Smart Meter Membership Fee,’ there is a ‘Membership Fee’ and you can have a ‘Smart Meter’ - but they are two individual events. ?

Userlevel 2

Hi @YanVal 

The way some of your questions are worded has me wondering:

You do understand the ‘Membership Fee’ (what most other energy providers call a ‘Standing Charge’) is not related to whether you have a ‘Smart Meter’ installed - there is no specific ‘Smart Meter Membership Fee,’ there is a ‘Membership Fee’ and you can have a ‘Smart Meter’ - but they are two individual events. ?

OK, I think now we are talking…

I understand that there are charges depending on my plan/contract and how that works if the place is vacant or not. That is fine!

My initial question, and so sorry if my English got you guys confused, was if there are any charges that have to do with the smart meter. PP said there are no installation charges but are there any other charges APART THE CONTRACT CHARGES that have to do with the meter AFTER the installation?

Or I just install the meter and then there are the normal contract charges?

Thanks Gwndy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@YanVal 

There are no extra charges for having a smart meter fitted, other than the normal membership fee ( standing charge ) all you will pay is for any energy that you use

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In a nutshell there is no difference whatsoever regarding any payments due when a new smart meter is fitted compared to an older meter, unless the previous meter was a pay as you go meter. There will however be a billing discontinuity if the meter is changed. That discontinuity can be months or weeks, it’s in the lap of the deities.

Hello @YanVal 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

Thank you everyone for jumping in to help out - it looks like all bases have been covered here. 

This explanation of our membership fee may be useful for your agency too:

The monthly "membership fee" that you see on your statements is what most other suppliers would refer to as the standing charge - this is a combination of fees and payments payable to the wider industry, such as National Grid, for the upkeep and maintenance of your supplies and the infrastructure that gets energy from generation to your home. 

We refer to ours as a membership fee as we also include our small profit margin within the same cost - because we offer energy to you at the wholesale cost, we don't make any profit for the amount of energy you use.

As explained wonderfully by our Community members, this membership fee is unaffected by what type of meter you have and there are no extra charges for having a smart meter fitted. 

This may also be useful:

I hope this helps!