Solved

Smart Meter Install - Not Working Since 03/03/20

• 21 September 2020
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 1

I had a smart meter install on the 3rd March 2020 - both gas and electric smart meters couldn’t connect via WAN to register with PurePlanet, and IHD showed ‘Not Commissioned’.

Right now, I can’t get a reading from the Gas meter. Electric meter looks OK - and IHD still same.

How do I get this fixed ? I tried ChatBot before - which was useless as it wouldn’t allow me to upload images, and is v limited anyway. I was also told on chat that engineer visits were blocked due to Covid-19 - ok, that’s understandable but I don’t expect to wait 2 weeks post-install/pre-lockdown to have this fixed, and for PurePlanet to do nothing proactively to sort this out.

I am currently paying on estimated readings on a sub-optimal tariff - when PurePlanet fixed is ironically listed on moneysavirngexpert as a best deal.This is worse than  ironic - and is compounded by fact I can’t even do a manual reading of my WANless “smart” meter.

I would switch suppliers in an instant - but I have an incomplete installation and can’t take any meter readings.

Really interested to see if I get any response to this -  Is it possible to actually speak with a human ????

Has anyone managed to get an incomplete install working ?

icon

Best answer by 25 quid 21 September 2020, 21:12

Hello @craigamacdonald, human here. That all sounds very frustrating…

The best approach might be to try the Wattbot fella again and say message the team. This should get your message through to the folk at PP.

Tell them the problem with the meters and give any readings you can. They will then help you for sure. What happens when you try to read your meters manually?

Give it a go. Good luck and post back with your progress (or lack thereof).

View original

13 replies

Hello @craigamacdonald, human here. That all sounds very frustrating…

The best approach might be to try the Wattbot fella again and say message the team. This should get your message through to the folk at PP.

Tell them the problem with the meters and give any readings you can. They will then help you for sure. What happens when you try to read your meters manually?

Give it a go. Good luck and post back with your progress (or lack thereof).

Userlevel 1

cheers @25 quid - human input much appreciated. I will persevere with the bot thingy and report back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @craigamacdonald  Can’t you get a reading from the actual meters on the wall?

A non working IHD won’t prevent you switching to a fixed tariff if that’s a better deal for you, just get manual readings from the meters on the wall or if that isn’t possible (it should be) the tariff switchover readings can be tweaked afterwards (not that it will make a great deal of difference)

Userlevel 1

Hi @woz 

thanks - I can get a reading from electricity meter (it flashes with different in/out readings) - but the gas one is now blank (like on, but no message). I press the return button - it attempts to connect, but goes blank again. It was fine immediately following installation. Think I’ll need an engineer to connect them both up and registered with PP. Happy to read manuals/press buttons etc - but think engineer has to do it, so I don't get the blame if its more screwed up.

Take your point though, I was hoping I could get the whole thing sorted and then see what PP could offer. I see a fixed rate in the app - but need to see if it’s a good deal for me. Not massively different tbh from what I have now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @craigamacdonald 

you can see what PP offer now, no need to wait for the meter to be fixed (if it needs fixing?)

You may need to press and hold one of the buttons on the gas meter to get a reading, it seems unlikely a new meter would be faulty. (but never say never), and if the installers have left it in a non working state that would be errr.. unimpressive.

If you still can’t get a reading whatever you press - go for it you can’t do any damage….(he said confidently) the screen should wake long enough to read it.

https://community.purepla.net/pure-planet-prices-44/members-rates-and-membership-fee-what-are-they-10325

or get a quote from the website

Top tips. I did post that FAQ in my initial response and asked what happened...

Userlevel 1

@woz / @25 quid - thanks both, really helpful so far. Small update …

So, I’m a numpty and didn’t press any buttons or read all the links. Smart Meter 101 ! Got a message from PP via a complaint about how to get the gas reading (complaint not addressed, but that's another issue)

I have the EDMI GS-60B SMETS2 Gas Meter - and the EDMI ES-10A SMETS2 Electric Meter. I got a reading from electric no bother, gas took a few button presses to get past a ‘Press OK to Join HAN’ message I got a reading. HAN is on (green light) on the ES-10A - not sure if GS-60B actually connected. Will check that later - it’s p***ing it down. 

The ES-10A is still not connected to WAN/registered with PP - and the IHD is still not working. But I got both readings and submitted them online.

I checked the MSE Energy Club and ran some accurate numbers - turns out 100% Green Variable is cheaper than all but 2 results (I never heard of the suppliers), and cheaper that the PP 100% Green 1 Year Fix. So, I’ll be sticking with the tariff for now and try to get the HAN/WAN/IHD issues sorted out. 

Where would we be without acronyms ???

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

USCWAP

Great update and entertaining post @craigamacdonald. @woz you’ll be pleased to know you got me with your RFA (word 1=ridiculous, word 3=Acronym) 🧐

USCWAP

Up a slimy creek without a paddle I assume @woz :wink:

Nice!

Userlevel 1

latest update:  got in contact with PP people via WattBot chat - they have requested a Magnum engineer visit to recommission the meters and get them connected. Still waiting for a phone call from them, though apparently they can take 7-10 days to respond. Curiously, no date/time on the chat messages - so there’s no chronological timeline (or proof SLAs have been met or not ?). I did get their number, so chasing them up

Userlevel 1

latest latest update: chased Magnum, confirmed PP request and engineer appointment scheduled 13/10/2020 AM. 

Here’s the Magnum number PP gave me (in case it saves other people time): 01204 803736.

Got the appointment straight away - is suggest people don’t wait the 7-10 days (as I started to do)