Solved

SMART meter from British Gas

• 16 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Help please! I have a SMART meter from British Gas and it regularly loses connection now that I am with a Pure Planet - what should I do? Also, I used to be able to control the heating and water via the Hive app on my phone or by telling Alexa - is how do I do this with Pure Planet? Thank you in advance for any advance and apologies if dumb questions!

icon

Best answer by woz 17 November 2020, 00:39

@Bingley 

As far as I’m aware your Hive should function whether or not you have a Smart Meter. 

The only explanation I can think of (rare but not unknown) is perhaps your SM is interfering with the router, in which case restarting the router (in auto channel which is it’s default) may cure it if the SM is transmitting at the restart time or  better still logging in first before you switch it off, check the channel, then restart and see if the channel has changed, if not  manually changing the radio channel may be the answer.

Essentially hive or Alexa has no connection with whether you have a SM, it shouldn’t care.

View original

4 replies

Hi @Bingley 

Do you know if your Smart Meter is SMETS1 or SMETS2?

What do you mean by ‘loses connection’ - loses connection with what?

Pure Planet has some kind of arrangement with Hive, I’m not sure quite how it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Bingley 

As far as I’m aware your Hive should function whether or not you have a Smart Meter. 

The only explanation I can think of (rare but not unknown) is perhaps your SM is interfering with the router, in which case restarting the router (in auto channel which is it’s default) may cure it if the SM is transmitting at the restart time or  better still logging in first before you switch it off, check the channel, then restart and see if the channel has changed, if not  manually changing the radio channel may be the answer.

Essentially hive or Alexa has no connection with whether you have a SM, it shouldn’t care.

Thanks - I think I mean the IHD not the meter … sorry! 

Hey @Bingley and welcome to the Community! 

They’re good questions, don’t worry! :relaxed:

The IHD should continue to work with Pure Planet if you have SMETS2 meters - if the IHD stops working for any reason just select ‘get help and support’ > ‘ask a question’ in your account and type “IHD problem” :thumbsup:

Hive’s functioning won’t be impacted by switching energy supplier, you should be able to continue to use it as normal. 

Hope that helps!