Smart meter display

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 1241 replies
Hi all,
As I previously posted, I had smart meters installed a few days ago, but only electric was showing on the IHD.
I have just read an article about Bulb Energy displays only showing one energy, and they recommended turning the display off the on again. I thought worth a try and presto, now showing dual fuels.
Happy days.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Well done Duppy, it would appear you are now fully qualified to provide a back up technical support.
Duppy;30319:
Hi all,
As I previously posted, I had smart meters installed a few days ago, but only electric was showing on the IHD.
I have just read an article about Bulb Energy displays only showing one energy, and they recommended turning the display off the on again. I thought worth a try and presto, now showing dual fuels.
Happy days.

Hi Duppy, did you see my response to your pic of your display on the other thread about the MF.
Does your IHD still show the same figure for your MF..... because that indicated figure really does not compute to the correct figure for MF.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Gray4276;30366:
Hi Duppy, did you see my response to your pic of your display on the other thread about the MF.
Does your IHD still show the same figure for your MF..... because that indicated figure really does not compute to the correct figure for MF.

Gray4276, I have just checked the IHD, both fuels say 25.806p daily standing charge
Duppy;30369:
Gray4276, I have just checked the IHD, both fuels say 25.806p daily standing charge

Hi Duppy..... have you tried to crunch the numbers for that figure..... just does not work out at all.
I hope you don't mind but I mentioned you in my latest contact with the PP team (via Wattbot) to remind them that you have the same issues with the MF. I have now received a refund for the incorrectly charged MF (minus the VAT, cos they forgot to add it back on)
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I wonder if the daily charge changes in relation to number of days in a month. 25.806p for 31 (May)days is 7.99986. I must remember to recheck next week as June only has 30 days.
Regarding your refund, is it detailed as a refund on you statement?,saying that I don't know if I will get a statement this month ( due 1st ) because of meter installation, my readings for 28th aren't showing in the app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Gray and Duppy and anyone else.. @Marc @Nataly
Sorry to butt in here, it seems likely that the 31 day theory is correct, and if so I would expect the amount shown on the IHD to change to 26.667p on 1st June or shortly after 1st, but....the real issue of the statements hasn't yet been addressed.
I suppose it seems selfish of me to say that the IHD is a completely separate issue, and any changes to that should follow on when the bigger issue is fixed and, in any event very few have IHD's but everyone will get a statement.
I think it will be counter productive to conflate the IHD issue at this point.

​I don't wish to, and I'm not trivialising this IHD issue, in fact it's quite interesting philosophically as to how it should be displayed, on the one hand it could be argued that it should be quoted daily and varied to calendar months since it's quoted daily as a(n equal) monthly charge, with an update to the number on the 1st of every month (which is extremely confusing for customers, so not ideal) or, what would be the better way of displaying it in the IHD would be to change the words to Monthly Charge (or similar) £8.00, then no one would care. Personally I prefer the second option. Consider this an idea proposal (posted).

In the meanwhile if the original issue is still ongoing, why? If not where is the fix and the explanation and the (new?) algorithm?

Duppy;30371:
I wonder if the daily charge changes in relation to number of days in a month. 25.806p for 31 (May)days is 7.99986. I must remember to recheck next week as June only has 30 days.
Regarding your refund, is it detailed as a refund on you statement?,saying that I don't know if I will get a statement this month ( due 1st ) because of meter installation, my readings for 28th aren't showing in the app.
Hi Duppy,

Duppy;30371:

I agree with Woz that the statement issue and the IHD issue, although apparently dealing with the same MF problem, are actually two separate issues that PP has to reconcile as separate problems.
With regard to the IHD showing different MF rates depending on the number of days in the month.....not really sure if this may not be against Ofgen's rules and regulations (only surmising here)......but taking into account the relative confusion that already ensues, with what "should" be a very simple calculation, then I dread to think of the possible cock ups that would ensue.
Duppy, the refund was not on my latest statement (which was wrong again), the refund was paid directly into my account. So my last 3 statements are still wrong.
woz;30373:
hi Gray and Duppy and anyone else.. @Marc @Nataly

but....the real issue of the statements hasn't yet been addressed.

In the meanwhile if the original issue is still ongoing, why? If not where is the fix and the explanation and the (new?) algorithm?

Hi Woz,
I have cherry picked a couple of your points from your reply to Duppy's post.

I can confirm that the MF statement issue has not yet been resolved, as I have received confirmation from Tom W (via WattBot).
​What really surprises me, is the fact that, there is no Algorithm, as it isn't necessary, because PP apply the MF in 12 Equal Monthly Payments (but apparently not). I dread to think what will happen if/when everyone has a smart meter fitted.
If PP can't/don't get their billing processes sorted.......then, I'm afraid to say I will seriously consider switching to a supplier who can get the "basics" right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Feel free to quote me as long as the context is maintained...
Irritating that the MF debacle is, I think you're over-reacting to what really is an unintentional screw-up from which the consequence for each customer is quite frankly, trivial.
I really want to see it fixed but I'm not threatening to leave over it...
I think some perspective is called for.

Gray4276;30395:
Hi Woz,
I have cherry picked a couple of your points from your reply to Duppy's post.

I can confirm that the MF statement issue has not yet been resolved, as I have received confirmation from Tom W (via WattBot).
​What really surprises me, is the fact that, there is no Algorithm, as it isn't necessary, because PP apply the MF in 12 Equal Monthly Payments (but apparently not). I dread to think what will happen if/when everyone has a smart meter fitted.
If PP can't/don't get their billing processes sorted.......then, I'm afraid to say I will seriously consider switching to a supplier who can get the "basics" right.
Hi Woz,

woz;30414:
Feel free to quote me as long as the context is maintained...
Irritating that the MF debacle is, I think you're over-reacting to what really is an unintentional screw-up from which the consequence for each customer is quite frankly, trivial.
I really want to see it fixed but I'm not threatening to leave over it...
I think some perspective is called for.

I can see why you feel that I'm over-reacting.....and you may well be absolutely correct.
However, it does concern me that, no form of understanding of the reason for the issue is forthcoming, from the PP team(s) who have been treating it as "their top priority" for 3 months now, and yet still have no idea how to correct it.
Allso, when a refund for the corrected MF was paid into my account....they forgot to include the VAT.
As I mentioned it's getting the basics right that I want to see from PP.
I have only been with PP for 7 months and would only contemplate leaving, once I have completed 12 months, when I will evaluate PP's performance against the standards that I'm willing to accept.