Solved

smart meter costs

Is there any hidden charges to smart meters like data charges for the 3g card or will I pay exactly the same as I am doing?

icon

Best answer by 25 quid 23 July 2021, 18:05

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Good info @Duppy! Still warms the environment and greenhouses us ( @woz will work out how many tonnes of CO2 these dumb meters contribute to global warming. Maybe I should ask the excellent “More or Less” radio show?).

Nevertheless, £1 a year for a useless kitchen ornament?? 😳 

It doesn’t cost you anything if you don’t use it! Means I save £1 p.a.!!

🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I

I googled 2.60W30. First o got a picture of a nice young lady (clothed!). But then found this:

https://francebricodeco.com/francebrico/7884-osram-ampoule-led-capsule-claire-26w30-g9-chaud-bte-1.html

but it’s not the same . I am not much wiser

It appears in that article  to refer to the lumen output equivalence of 30W incandescent lamp. (2.6W led = 30W incandescent) That in itself is amazing since a 30W  filament non halogen lamp  in the UK (yes there is a voltage dependence element too, mainly related to lumen degradation)   produces approx. 250 lumens, so the led lamp is achieving 100 lumens/watt, which is more than I would expect (70 to 80 expected for a cheap lamp) 

I suspect the original reference was either written by an idiot or someone with no scientific knowledge, OR there is a new nomenclature which very few yet know about.

Either way smart meters aren’t saving anyone anything they couldn’t achieve without one and a little common sense.

That is all...for now...

I googled 2.60W30. First o got a picture of a nice young lady (clothed!). But then found this:

https://francebricodeco.com/francebrico/7884-osram-ampoule-led-capsule-claire-26w30-g9-chaud-bte-1.html

but it’s not the same . I am not much wiser

30 coulombs per mega furlong maybe?

Or maybe 30 minute readings?

Or perhaps the temperature when the article was cited? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

After a search I concluded that it's very difficult to find information on the unmetered running costs of smart meters, but I did find this, but have now lost the link I tried to post.

" Energy

Smart meters, communications hubs, and In-Home Displays all consume energy. In

total, we assume that a typical smart metering system (consisting of a meter, a

communications hub, and an In-Home Display) consumes 2.6W30 more power than

a comparable traditional metering system. This calculation captures the cost of

unmetered energy only and therefore excludes the cost to run an In-Home Display,

which is a plug-in device and therefore metered. We also include the forecast energy

consumption costs that are associated with the equipment necessary to establish a

HAN in premises that require the Alt HAN solution. The value of the energy

consumed is taken from the Green Book31."

I've no idea what 2.6W30 means

I wonder if the 30 is related to power factor? Anything not resistive (example: heater is resistive a toaster is, an incandescent lamp is an led lightbulb is not) where the current and voltage are not in phase still has to be generated and still causes losses in transmission, and is paid for by the generators, not by the domestic consumer.

@Duppy That is why mine IHDis unplugged, off and put away in a cupboard

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@G4RHL ,

Unfortunately lots of people think they save money, even on here there are posts saying I want a smart meter to start paying less

Some people just don't get it that the meter in itself cannot save you money, you have to turn things down or off, and the meter can't do that for you

@Duppy But who thinks they save money? They can’t. Not for the consumer. They might for the supplier if it does not have to take meter readings but from this article it seems it may be costing the supplier more than cost of employing a meter reader.  

What a long list of costs the likes of PP have to shoulder! I wonder how that compares to the cost of an occasional physical meter read of traditional meters?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

There's also this.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-9397955/Suppliers-charged-14p-day-rent-smart-meters.html

Which shows they don't save as much as we think

After a search I concluded that it's very difficult to find information on the unmetered running costs of smart meters, but I did find this, but have now lost the link I tried to post.

I found this at https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-4607552/How-electricity-smart-meters-use-cost-run.html

'The in–home display, which shows you how much you're spending in pounds and pence, uses a very small amount of energy and costs less than £1 a year to run, which is far less than you can expect to save with the help of your smart meter.' 

We also spoke to some of the major energy providers and they confirmed that the amount of energy a smart meter used was about 1 kWh of electricity per year which would cost between 70p and £1.

Suggesting they each cost about £1. So I guess that’s about 4848 trips from Heathrow to Edinburgh on a Boeing 747! Seems a lot of equivalent trips… I hope my maths is wrong!

Good info @Duppy! Still warms the environment and greenhouses us ( @woz will work out how many tonnes of CO2 these dumb meters contribute to global warming. Maybe I should ask the excellent “More or Less” radio show?).

It doesn’t cost you anything if you don’t use it! Means I save £1 p.a.!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

" Energy

Smart meters, communications hubs, and In-Home Displays all consume energy. In

total, we assume that a typical smart metering system (consisting of a meter, a

communications hub, and an In-Home Display) consumes 2.6W30 more power than

a comparable traditional metering system. This calculation captures the cost of

unmetered energy only and therefore excludes the cost to run an In-Home Display,

which is a plug-in device and therefore metered. We also include the forecast energy

consumption costs that are associated with the equipment necessary to establish a

HAN in premises that require the Alt HAN solution. The value of the energy

consumed is taken from the Green Book31."

I've no idea what 2.6W30 means

So about the equivalent of 16 miles in a Ford Mondeo 1.8 TDCI…

Puts the Krispy Whole Hops into perspective @woz.

But for the whole 20 million IHDs, that’s the same as 2424 trips from Heathrow to Edinburgh on a Boeing 747! That’s a lot of plane journey’s these smart meters are pumping out into the atmosphere!

Watt is the Whatage of the Smart Meter and its comms?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Duppy @25 quid 

We’ve been through this before and it all depends on how long the IHD screen is on for.

The specifications are somewhat misleading, they quote the power required at 0.5W, but it’s several watts when the screen is lit. That is evidenced by the dreadfully short running times when running from batteries. (3 aaa cells is  maybe 5Wh maximum)

There is no way it’s consuming half a watt- maybe if it’s not looked at often and the screen is dark.

at 0.5W that would be 4.38kWh ( krispy whole hops) a year, or £0.80 at 18p a unit,
at 1W £1.58,  
at 2 watts which is a much more likely average figure it would be 17.52kWh a year. or £3.16 or about 4kg of CO2 depending on who you believe (based on 0.233 kg of CO2e per kWh - other figures are available, it may be slightly lower now)

Now multiply whichever you prefer by 20 million

Good info @Duppy! Still warms the environment and greenhouses us ( @woz will work out how many tonnes of CO2 these dumb meters contribute to global warming. Maybe I should ask the excellent “More or Less” radio show?).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just to add that the electric to power the meter and Comms unit comes from the DNO  supply side of the meter, so in effect only the only extra charge is for the energy required to power the IHD, which is less than £1 per year

Is there any hidden charges to smart meters like data charges for the 3g card or will I pay exactly the same as I am doing?

Additional to what @25 quid posted, not all ‘Smart Meters’ use a 3G sim card, the SMETS1 ‘first-generation’ meters did, but Pure Planet don’t install them, in fact most suppliers haven’t since 2018 when the SMETS2 meters, using one of two secured network were introduced.

Hi @DannyHinckley,

No extra charge apart from the little bit of extra electricity the meter and IHD use. But you can unplug the In Home Display if you want...