Smart meter comms failure

• 14 August 2019
  • 4 replies

There was obviously a partial comms failure as my gas meter didn't send or PP couldn't receive my reading for August (the electric was fine).

I still get my "send your readings in the next few days" email but ignored it as the gas meter reading was ok for July and my readings were ignored (for billing purposes).

Would it be possible for PP to set up an automated email if there was a lack of a reading?
Would the number of emails sent indicate where there is a problem in the system?
A quick check of your PP IHD could enable you to ensure that an actual reading is submitted between meter reading taken and statement production dates. A sort of modern version of the "missed the meter reader cards" from years and years ago.

X Driver

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi X
Good Idea.
​Does the IHD tell you that a reading has been successfully sent and more to the point received by PP?
X Driver;35362:
There was obviously a partial comms failure as my gas meter didn't send or PP couldn't receive my reading for August (the electric was fine).

I still get my "send your readings in the next few days" email but ignored it as the gas meter reading was ok for July and my readings were ignored (for billing purposes).

Would it be possible for PP to set up an automated email if there was a lack of a reading?
Would the number of emails sent indicate where there is a problem in the system?
A quick check of your PP IHD could enable you to ensure that an actual reading is submitted between meter reading taken and statement production dates. A sort of modern version of the "missed the meter reader cards" from years and years ago.

X Driver
Hi Woz,

I don't think so and I can't find anything to say if it does.
When I know what day my readings are to be sent I take my own from the IHD and it appears the readings are taken very early morning.
Also the IHD display whole units and my statements now go to 1 decimal place.

I suppose this is all part and parcel of being in the pilot scheme.

X Driver
An update.

Just checked my reading history and the missing reading is now there, it's the same as the estimate on my statement which was one unit less than I took later on the reading day.

This updated reading has uncorrected the correction made to a previous reading which was sorted out yesterday. Technology eh?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Reminds me of this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Sy6oiJbEk