Solved

Smart meter being fitted after you have ceased trading?

We were texted today confirming you are fitting our smart meter on 3rd November, what happens now you have ceased trading? Will they still come? Who will pay as I was told it would be free?

icon

Best answer by Marc 14 October 2021, 13:42

View original

18 replies

In a similar position albeit our smart meter installation was scheduled a few weeks ago for 22nd Oct by Magnum Utilities.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Chas007 

Whoever fits it it will be free. 

My advice fwiw is that even if Magnum are prepared to go ahead you should cancel it and wait until you’re settled with a supplier who you’re likely to stay with. 

If you run into any problems it will be much more difficult to sort them out, but if you’re prepared to take the risk that’s entirely up to you. I would want to know that there was some solid support from my supplier, and I’m not suggesting PP wouldn’t be solid but in the circumstances why take the chance, they will be pushed out with queries.

Is your company going out of business?

It won’t go ahead as PP won’t be able to pay Magnum now for fitting of smart meters, the new company will probably take over smart meter install

We were texted today confirming you are fitting our smart meter on 3rd November, what happens now you have ceased trading? Will they still come? Who will pay as I was told it would be free?

I’m in a similar situation- smart meter install booked for next week, I’m going to give it a few days and see if Magnum Utilities get in touch- then I’m probably going to cancel it. I only wanted the smart meter so I could wave the tablet monitor thing at the wife as she had the washing machine so much I couldn’t hear radio 4 over the racket. and of course the usual thermostat wars- put a jumper on etc/ the dogs sweating etc...

I’m pretty sure I’ll hear from magnum utilities pretty soon. They won’t do it for nothing…….

Actually I’ll drop them a line/ring them Friday at the latest, wires could get crossed with pure planet going under…….

will let you all know how the saga develops…

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@David Farquhar 

I had to laugh when I saw your comment about waving the monitor at the wife. I have tried that since my meters were installed, only the other day I had ( another ) go at my daughter when she put 4 items in the tumble dryer and turned on maximum time, my comments of you just don't care do you was met with,  I do but not as much as you

@David Farquhar

I had to laugh when I saw your comment about waving the monitor at the wife. I have tried that since my meters were installed, only the other day I had ( another ) go at my daughter when she put 4 items in the tumble dryer and turned on maximum time, my comments of you just don't care do you was met with,  I do but not as much as you

it’s maybe an age thing. when I was a kid we had old clothes, we would change into them after School- we were not manky kids- changed socks etc every day- but if we got our trousers muddy, if possible my mum would just wipe the mud off rather than piling up the washing!- kinda fits in with the current green outlook I suppose. ( sadly now with the demise of Pure Planet I’ll be allocated a great big greedy bastard company) Also i’ve witnessed in the height of summer clothes being tumble dried- and clothes smell so much better dried outside with the occasional insect in them. HAHA. ye gotta laugh.

...when I were a lad etc!!

So aye, I totally sympathize!

I really miss those clothes driers that hoisted up to the ceiling in a few student flats I had- they were a grand idea!!

I’ll stop now, I’m boring myself!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

It won’t go ahead as PP won’t be able to pay Magnum now for fitting of smart meters, the new company will probably take over smart meter install

@Rds261189

hi Ryan

How do you know that is the case? The contract between PP and Magnum will/could probably be such that they would still be paid?  (by the administrators)

That is  why I answered in the way I did.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Is your company going out of business?

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m in a similar situation- smart meter install booked for next week, I’m going to give it a few days and see if Magnum Utilities get in touch- then I’m probably going to cancel it. I only wanted the smart meter so I could wave the tablet monitor thing at the wife as she had the washing machine so much I couldn’t hear radio 4 over the racket. and of course the usual thermostat wars- put a jumper on etc/ the dogs sweating etc...

I’m pretty sure I’ll hear from magnum utilities pretty soon. They won’t do it for nothing…….

Actually I’ll drop them a line/ring them Friday at the latest, wires could get crossed with pure planet going under…….

@David Farquhar 

Kids (especially older kids) sitting around in shorts and a t-shirt with the stat turned up, and don’t forget to hold the front door open for 10 minutes while saying goodbye. (especially if it’s -3 outside.)

You’ll only aggravate yourself with a SM and IHD. 

I recommend an fm radio in every room (audio not delayed due to dab) then you can leave all the radios on and wander from room to room (lower power consumption on fm too)

I don’t know whether Magnum will cancel - let us know -

I don’t want to be negative here but if something goes wrong during the install it would be better to know you’ve got easy support,  it’s a bad bad idea to go ahead even if you can.

That is my opinion fwiw.

@Rds261189

hi Ryan

How do you know that is the case? The contract between PP and Magnum will/could probably be such that they would still be paid?  (by the administrators)

Right if you go bust it goes to administrators so magnum will need to fight for their money it’s the chance you take when companies sign contracts, magnum employee said to me on Tuesday that if PP go then that’s all jobs cancelled as money won’t flow through.  At end of day it’s all over so no point in moaning about it all, magnum won’t install meters from this day forward

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Rds261189

hi Ryan

Right if you go bust it goes to administrators so magnum will need to fight for their money it’s the chance you take when companies sign contracts, magnum employee said to me on Tuesday that if PP go then that’s all jobs cancelled as money won’t flow through.  At end of day it’s all over so no point in moaning about it all, magnum won’t install meters from this day forward

Thanks Ryan

I wasn’t moaning (I leave that to the wife), I  was asking how you knew that was the case….

@David Farquhar

Kids (especially older kids) sitting around in shorts and a t-shirt with the stat turned up, and don’t forget to hold the front door open for 10 minutes while saying goodbye. (especially if it’s -3 outside.)

You’ll only aggravate yourself with a SM and IHD. 

I recommend an fm radio in every room (audio not delayed due to dab) then you can leave all the radios on and wander from room to room (lower power consumption on fm too)

I don’t know whether Magnum will cancel - let us know -

I don’t want to be negative here but if something goes wrong during the install it would be better to know you’ve got easy support,  it’s a bad bad idea to go ahead even if you can.

That is my opinion fwiw.

I emailed magnum utilities last night. Agree that a smart meter install could be a nightmare whilst bouncing between suppliers. 

But this morning I got a text message from pure planet saying it wasn't going ahead.

Even in its death throes pure planet is better than most.

Hopefully everybody else will recieve a similar text or email. 

Also had a pretty prompt e-mail from Magnum Utilities saying that they wouldn’t be going ahead just now. Double confirmation.

So that’s worked out fine.

Hi @Chas007 

No, sorry. 

Ok thank you everyone..a sad day 😭

Hello @Eraym21 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

PP have ceased trading, you can read more about it here:

I hope this helps, there’s also lots of FAQs for any more specific queries!

As far as an honest business energy provider, ceasing service DOES NOT mean breaking service promises. Promised services happened before you announced cease service.

If any business can break promised service, no one in the earth will trust business anymore especially Pure Planet.