Solved

Smart meter and solar panels

• 28 August 2019
  • 9 replies

We’ve been hanging on for the second generation smart meters so i was disappointed to get to the booking stage to be told we can’t have one because we have solar panels. Seems a shame when one is trying to add to the renewable input and have chosen to go with a provider like Pure Planet, but I gather they can’t cope with the direction of the current as in export or import. Does anyone know if the technology is likely to develop in the near future?
icon

Best answer by stephenrand 29 August 2019, 00:15

Hi there
In yesterday's Q and A with the founder of Pure Planet, he said

"We've just kicked off some work to think about our SEG proposition which we aim to launch in 2020. If you have any thoughts on what a Pure Planet proposition for SEG could look like, please feel free to send them over. We will be inviting some of our Members to become part of the trial as soon as we've got the systems and processes in place. Let our community managers @Marc or @Nataly know if you’d like to be involved."

So I imagine SMETS 2 meters will be able to cope. At the moment Pure Planet have said they are concentrating on getting the simple set ups first, and when they have ironed out teething problems they will feel able to branch out further

Stephen
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi there
In yesterday's Q and A with the founder of Pure Planet, he said

"We've just kicked off some work to think about our SEG proposition which we aim to launch in 2020. If you have any thoughts on what a Pure Planet proposition for SEG could look like, please feel free to send them over. We will be inviting some of our Members to become part of the trial as soon as we've got the systems and processes in place. Let our community managers @Marc or @Nataly know if you’d like to be involved."

So I imagine SMETS 2 meters will be able to cope. At the moment Pure Planet have said they are concentrating on getting the simple set ups first, and when they have ironed out teething problems they will feel able to branch out further

Stephen
SnazzyD;36381:
We’ve been hanging on for the second generation smart meters so i was disappointed to get to the booking stage to be told we can’t have one because we have solar panels. Seems a shame when one is trying to add to the renewable input and have chosen to go with a provider like Pure Planet, but I gather they can’t cope with the direction of the current as in export or import. Does anyone know if the technology is likely to develop in the near future?

Hi @SnazzyD
You may also find this thread about installing solar panels started by @X Driver useful and/or interesting.
In answer to your question, @stephenrand is 100% spot on :foldedhands: with his reply above ☝
Thanks for that
Also here's a link to the community Q&A with our chief exec from the other day @SnazzyD which @stephenrand mentioned above ☝
It would be great to have some community members involved from the outset, to help us shape the proposition in 2020.
I have just signed up with PP because I have had so much trouble with Scottish Power after moving house and later, changing supplier . I was hoping that the SMETS 2 problem with Solar Panels would have been sorted by now but it looks as if I will have to wait a bit longer?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Afraid so Stevie, it may be some time, even the basics are flaky with a lot of installs so I wouldn't hold out much hope for an early fix.
​​​​​​​You're better off with a conventional meter, if it aint broke why break it?
Steviewardy;41085:
I have just signed up with PP because I have had so much trouble with Scottish Power after moving house and later, changing supplier . I was hoping that the SMETS 2 problem with Solar Panels would have been sorted by now but it looks as if I will have to wait a bit longer?

Hey @SnazzyD @Steviewardy

Some good news! We're now able to install smart meters for members who have solar panels🌞

There's more info on this here 🙂

Smart meters installed and working well. Nice clear readings showing grid use and export energy. I don’t have to enter monthly readings now either as PP can read the meters remotely. So far it’s a win/win situation but I’m keeping my eye on the monthly readings for now.

Hey @Steviewardy 

That’s great to hear! Nice one for updating the Community on your smart meters and solar panels setup :smiley: